Did I not explain it very well?

Old March 25th 11, 03:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Did I not explain it very well?

Last week I advised a customer as follows: Your terrestrial reception is
very poor. I can replace the aerial with a better one, but I can't give
you a 100% guarantee that reception will always be perfect. I suggest
you go for Freesat.

We discussed this at length.

The next day, I installed Freesat for him.

Today he rung to complain that although reception on the Freesat box was
perfect the picture when he didn't use the Freesat box was still
breaking up, "despite it coming from the satellite." The TV set does not
have Freesat built in.

This customer is CEO of a quango with a multi-million pound budget.

Old March 25th 11, 03:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dr Hfuhruhurr

On Mar 25, 4:28*pm, Bill Wright wrote:
Last week I advised a customer as follows: Your terrestrial reception is
very poor. I can replace the aerial with a better one, but I can't give
you a 100% guarantee that reception will always be perfect. I suggest
you go for Freesat.

We discussed this at length.

The next day, I installed Freesat for him.

Today he rung to complain that although reception on the Freesat box was
perfect the picture when he didn't use the Freesat box was still
breaking up, "despite it coming from the satellite." The TV set does not
have Freesat built in.

This customer is CEO of a quango with a multi-million pound budget.

There's no fool greater than the incredibly well paid ones.
My god some of the stuff I have to put up with in my business makes me
shudder.

My brother used to work as a chemical engineer, and after the recent
acquisition of a colour plotter (this was 20 years ago) could show his
exec the detailed breakdown, in a nice coloured graph, of the output
from a laser mass spectrometer. The boss sent his lackey down to the
workshops later in the day asking if he could get his tie embossed
with a nice stripe using the new 'laser plotter colour device'.
o_O

Old March 25th 11, 03:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 16:28:03 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

Last week I advised a customer as follows: Your terrestrial reception is
very poor. I can replace the aerial with a better one, but I can't give
you a 100% guarantee that reception will always be perfect. I suggest
you go for Freesat.

We discussed this at length.

The next day, I installed Freesat for him.

Today he rung to complain that although reception on the Freesat box was
perfect the picture when he didn't use the Freesat box was still
breaking up, "despite it coming from the satellite." The TV set does not
have Freesat built in.

This customer is CEO of a quango with a multi-million pound budget.

My great aunt used to believe that if you left an electrical socket
with nothing plugged in the electricity would escape through the holes
and increase the electricity bill.

People do have weird and wonderful ideas. My great aunt was not a CEO
though.
Old March 25th 11, 04:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jumbo Jack

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Last week I advised a customer as follows: Your terrestrial reception is
very poor. I can replace the aerial with a better one, but I can't give
you a 100% guarantee that reception will always be perfect. I suggest you
go for Freesat.

We discussed this at length.

The next day, I installed Freesat for him.

Today he rung to complain that although reception on the Freesat box was
perfect the picture when he didn't use the Freesat box was still breaking
up, "despite it coming from the satellite." The TV set does not have
Freesat built in.

This customer is CEO of a quango with a multi-million pound budget.

Bill

and could you do his job.....I very much doubt it. So its what you know and
what you don't need to know.

Old March 25th 11, 04:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Donwill

wrote:

[...]

Yes, my Grandmother had the same belief and used to go around her house
switching off all the 15A and 5A sockets in case the electricity leaked
out. Fair play she was in her 70s in 1947 or so.
Don
Old March 25th 11, 04:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

wrote:

[...]

It is not so silly for someone who doesn't understand electricity. After
all we turn off taps in kitchens and bathrooms to prevent water being
lost. The difference with electricity is that it is invisible so you
can't see it flowing out of a socket!

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old March 25th 11, 05:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Scott wrote:
My great aunt used to believe that if you left an electrical socket
with nothing plugged in the electricity would escape through the holes
and increase the electricity bill.

Think lots still do by all these dummy plugs you see around...

--
*One nice thing about egotists: they don't talk about other people.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old March 25th 11, 05:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

"Jumbo Jack" wrote in message

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Last week I advised a customer as follows: Your terrestrial reception is
very poor. I can replace the aerial with a better one, but I can't give
you a 100% guarantee that reception will always be perfect. I suggest you
go for Freesat.

We discussed this at length.

The next day, I installed Freesat for him.

Today he rung to complain that although reception on the Freesat box was
perfect the picture when he didn't use the Freesat box was still breaking
up, "despite it coming from the satellite." The TV set does not have
Freesat built in.

This customer is CEO of a quango with a multi-million pound budget.

and could you do his job.....I very much doubt it. So its what you know
and what you don't need to know.

The CEO had been given the knowledge. He just didn't process it very well,
which is necessary for most jobs I would have thought.

--
Max Demian

Old March 25th 11, 05:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote:

[...]

My grandma used to take the light bulbs out in winter in the
outbuildings in case the electric froze up and burst the wires.

Old March 25th 11, 05:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Jumbo Jack wrote:
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Last week I advised a customer as follows: Your terrestrial reception is
very poor. I can replace the aerial with a better one, but I can't give
you a 100% guarantee that reception will always be perfect. I suggest you
go for Freesat.

We discussed this at length.

The next day, I installed Freesat for him.

Today he rung to complain that although reception on the Freesat box was
perfect the picture when he didn't use the Freesat box was still breaking
up, "despite it coming from the satellite." The TV set does not have
Freesat built in.

This customer is CEO of a quango with a multi-million pound budget.

Bill

and could you do his job.....I very much doubt it. So its what you know and
what you don't need to know.

Yes but his job is primarily about assimilating information and making
good use of it. Don't forget these people step into top jobs in
industries about which they know nothing. This isn't about knowledge, as
such.