Did I not explain it very well?

Old March 25th 11, 07:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

Default Did I not explain it very well?

It's that sort of blind ignorance coupled with supreme confidence in
one's knowledge, so typical of the arts educated elite in this country
that leads to these people pontificating about windfarms and other
environmental issues.

Bill

Yes now that is really scary. That Merkel in Germany now wants to do
away with all the reactors they have and go renewables..

Just absolutely stupid rather than wait and see what went wrong and then
make informed -engineering- decisions on the matter..

--
Tony Sayer

Old March 25th 11, 08:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 20:22:25 +0000, tony sayer
wrote:

It's that sort of blind ignorance coupled with supreme confidence in
one's knowledge, so typical of the arts educated elite in this country
that leads to these people pontificating about windfarms and other
environmental issues.

Bill

Yes now that is really scary. That Merkel in Germany now wants to do
away with all the reactors they have and go renewables..

Just absolutely stupid rather than wait and see what went wrong and then
make informed -engineering- decisions on the matter..

I agree totally.

There is natural concentration on the six reactors that are in trouble
at the Fukushika No 1 (Daiichi) plant. However, there is a second plant
11.5 kilometres to the south, Fukushima No 2 (Daini) Nuclear Power
Plant, which has four reactors. These have not been in the news because
the problems there have been much less and manageable.
http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/RS...i_1403112.html

So it would be valuable to know what the differences are that resulted
in serious damage to one plant and much less serious to the other.

This website has news reports by people in the industry:
http://www.world-nuclear.org/fukushi...arthquake.html

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old March 25th 11, 08:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
J G Miller[_3_]

On Friday, March 25th, 2011 at 20:22:25h +0000, Tony Sayer wrote:

That Merkel in Germany now wants to do away with all the reactors
they have and go renewables..

That may be the impression which Kanzler Merkel is giving at the present
time, but wait until after the state elections, and nothing much will change,
and it will be back to business as normal.

But there is certainly nothing wrong in trying to improve on the percentage
of power generated from renewables rather than other sources.
Old March 25th 11, 08:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
ian field

"Scott" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 16:28:03 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

Last week I advised a customer as follows: Your terrestrial reception is
very poor. I can replace the aerial with a better one, but I can't give
you a 100% guarantee that reception will always be perfect. I suggest
you go for Freesat.

We discussed this at length.

The next day, I installed Freesat for him.

Today he rung to complain that although reception on the Freesat box was
perfect the picture when he didn't use the Freesat box was still
breaking up, "despite it coming from the satellite." The TV set does not
have Freesat built in.

This customer is CEO of a quango with a multi-million pound budget.

My great aunt used to believe that if you left an electrical socket
with nothing plugged in the electricity would escape through the holes
and increase the electricity bill.

As I remember it, most coffin dodgers feared that a light socket switched on
with no bulb in it would leak electricity and poison them like gas.

I knew a Hungarian car mechanic who refused to have a microwave oven because
he thought it was radioactive!

I even showed him a copy of the EM spectrum chart and pointed out where
microwaves were at the medium-high end of radio waves in comparison to IR
from his regular oven and radiation way over yonder beyond UV.

Old March 25th 11, 08:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
ian field

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Scott wrote:
My great aunt used to believe that if you left an electrical socket
with nothing plugged in the electricity would escape through the holes
and increase the electricity bill.

Think lots still do by all these dummy plugs you see around...

AFAIK those were originally intended to stop kiddies sticking things in the
holes.

Old March 25th 11, 08:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
ian field

"Max Demian" wrote in message
"Jumbo Jack" wrote in message

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Last week I advised a customer as follows: Your terrestrial reception is
very poor. I can replace the aerial with a better one, but I can't give
you a 100% guarantee that reception will always be perfect. I suggest
you go for Freesat.

We discussed this at length.

The next day, I installed Freesat for him.

Today he rung to complain that although reception on the Freesat box was
perfect the picture when he didn't use the Freesat box was still
breaking up, "despite it coming from the satellite." The TV set does not
have Freesat built in.

This customer is CEO of a quango with a multi-million pound budget.

and could you do his job.....I very much doubt it. So its what you know
and what you don't need to know.

The CEO had been given the knowledge. He just didn't process it very well,
which is necessary for most jobs I would have thought.

Its nothing unusual for suits to be thick as two short planks - its not what
you know, its who you know.

Old March 25th 11, 08:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
ian field

Bill Wright wrote:
Max Demian wrote:

This customer is CEO of a quango with a multi-million pound budget.

and could you do his job.....I very much doubt it. So its what you
know and what you don't need to know.

The CEO had been given the knowledge. He just didn't process it very
well, which is necessary for most jobs I would have thought.

That's exactly it.

Bill

I also know of a person in a 'top job' who cannot find her way about at
all, either by use of a map or a satnav. Nor can she organise her private
life, and her judgement of people must be pretty bad from the

Another example was the educated lady who declared that a new office had
far too many electric points on the dado trunking. "You don't need all
those you know! Haven't you seen those things that are a sort of strip of
electric sockets? You just plug it into one socket on the wall and
then you can plug about six things into it all at once. I got one from
the Radio Times and it's brilliant!"

It's that sort of blind ignorance coupled with supreme confidence in
one's knowledge, so typical of the arts educated elite in this country
that leads to these people pontificating about windfarms and other
environmental issues.

Bill

but she's earning more than thee.....

The perfect place to clamp down on benefits.

Old March 25th 11, 09:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 21:16:51 +0000, Peter Duncanson
wrote:

Fukushika

? That spelling must be a radiation induced typo.

Fukushima.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old March 25th 11, 09:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Ian Field wrote:

Think lots still do by all these dummy plugs you see around...

AFAIK those were originally intended to stop kiddies sticking things in the
holes.

Many of them have the disadvantage that an enterprising child can
unplug them and then put them back upside down using just the earth
pin, thus unshielding the live and neutal.

-- Richard
Old March 25th 11, 09:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Richard Tobin

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:

Just absolutely stupid rather than wait and see what went wrong and then
make informed -engineering- decisions on the matter..

However, many of the problems were probably not engineering ones.

-- Richard