Sky1 went widescreen!

Old July 2nd 03, 07:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
System Addict

Default Sky1 went widescreen!

"David van Kemenade" wrote
It's clear that Sky is probably not the most innovative broadcaster in the

UK.

Sky invested millions and millions in developing, from scratch, a completely
propietary digital satellite system, including a complete set up for
uplinking hundreds of channels, then the EPG software including interactive
services for each set top box, encryption that has yet to be hacked, the
only broadcaster to use Dolby Digital 5.1, a PVR system etc. etc.

Is there any other broadcaster who has innovated more than the above ?

Old July 2nd 03, 08:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David van Kemenade

"System Addict" wrote in message
"David van Kemenade" wrote
It's clear that Sky is probably not the most innovative broadcaster in

the
UK.

Sky invested millions and millions in developing, from scratch, a

completely
propietary digital satellite system

I don't think it's completely proprietary. Sky uses the DVB-S broadcasting
standard, for example (that implies a non-proprietary modulation system,
video coding system - MPEG - etc.).

including a complete set up for uplinking hundreds of channels

I thought that was done by Astra. Sky just uses them to uplink its services,
as do other broadcasters.

then the EPG software including interactive
services for each set top box, encryption that has yet to be hacked, the
only broadcaster to use Dolby Digital 5.1, a PVR system etc. etc.

That's true. I didn't want to imply that Sky is completely non-innovative.
Still I find it strange to do Dolby Digital 5.1 (today's sound) but with
non-widescreen pictures (yesterday's aspect ratio), but at least they're
working on that now.

Is there any other broadcaster who has innovated more than the above ?

Yes, the BBC for example. It was one of the first broadcasters to experiment
with television in the first place back in the 1930s. ITV came along 20
years later. Hence the BBC paved the way for commercial broadcasters, who
didn't come along until the BBC television service had proven that TV was a
viable medium.

David

Old July 2nd 03, 09:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
System Addict

"David van Kemenade" wrote
Yes, the BBC for example. It was one of the first broadcasters to

experiment
with television in the first place back in the 1930s.

I'd personally bolster the egos of any Scots on this group and give the most
honours to Logie-Baird himself (yes even though the Marconi/EMI system was
adopted eventually).

I watched a documentary about him on BBC4 a while ago, and when television
was first proposed, the BBC weren't even interested because they already had
their radio service. If memory serves, the first colour TVs were invented
in the U.S.

Old July 2nd 03, 10:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
QrizB

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 19:41:42 GMT, "System Addict"
wrote:

"David van Kemenade" wrote
It's clear that Sky is probably not the most innovative broadcaster in the

UK.

Sky invested millions and millions in developing, from scratch, a completely
propietary digital satellite system,

No they didn't, DVB-S predates Sky Digital by some time.

including a complete set up for uplinking hundreds of channels,

No they didn't.

then the EPG software

Not oorigional or innovative.

including interactive services for each set top box

OpenTV started as an independent company, IIRC.

encryption that has yet to be hacked

This one I'll grant you.

the only broadcaster to use Dolby Digital 5.1

No they're not.

a PVR system etc. etc.

PVRs pre-date Sky+ by several years, as do DSat PVRs.

Is there any other broadcaster who has innovated more than the above ?

The BBC?

--
QrizB

be fooled.
Old July 3rd 03, 09:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave

"System Addict" wrote in message
"David van Kemenade" wrote
Yes, the BBC for example. It was one of the first broadcasters to

experiment
with television in the first place back in the 1930s.

I'd personally bolster the egos of any Scots on this group and give the

most
honours to Logie-Baird himself (yes even though the Marconi/EMI system was
adopted eventually).

I watched a documentary about him on BBC4 a while ago, and when television
was first proposed, the BBC weren't even interested because they already

had
their radio service. If memory serves, the first colour TVs were invented
in the U.S.

Very interesting that documentory. Especially the bit where he proposes how
tele should change after the war and how we shouldn't consider a system with
less than 1000 lines. Bah.

Old July 4th 03, 05:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ed Ellers

System Addict wrote:

"If memory serves, the first colour TVs were invented in the U.S."

Yes, they were, and were introduced to the public way back in 1954. The
U.S. was also first with VHF FM radio, in 1941, and stereo FM in 1961.