HD TV rip off

Old November 25th 10, 06:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default HD TV rip off

Father says there was a thing on the telly today about people getting
conned into buying 'HD ready' as opposed to 'HD' tellys. But he can't
remember what programme it was. Any ideas anyone?

Old November 25th 10, 06:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Nick Le Lievre

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Father says there was a thing on the telly today about people getting
conned into buying 'HD ready' as opposed to 'HD' tellys. But he can't
remember what programme it was. Any ideas anyone?

The fact is Freeview HD did not exist a year ago so there were no TVs on the
market designed for that but there were HD Ready TVs as in Satellite HD
Ready. I think all TVs should now come with a Freeview HD tuner or Freesat
HD or both but they are still coming with Freeview SD tuners and are still
being branded HD Ready which does not mean what it used too.

Old November 25th 10, 06:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim....

"Nick Le Lievre" wrote in message
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Father says there was a thing on the telly today about people getting
conned into buying 'HD ready' as opposed to 'HD' tellys. But he can't
remember what programme it was. Any ideas anyone?

The fact is Freeview HD did not exist a year ago so there were no TVs on
the market designed for that but there were HD Ready TVs as in Satellite
HD Ready. I think all TVs should now come with a Freeview HD tuner or
Freesat HD or both

Why?

There are still places that will not receive HD for almost two years.

Currently an HD tuner is 200 pounds more than an SD one, in two years time
it will only be 100, why should I have to waste money being an early adopter
of something that I can make no use of, because someone in Manchester is a
numpty

Old November 25th 10, 07:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , tim....
writes

[...]

There's just been a discussion on this subject in uk.legal.moderated,
starting 13 Nov, subject "Currys and Sony "wifi ready" TV - false
claims".
--
Oam
Old November 25th 10, 07:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 19:32:15 -0000, "Nick Le Lievre"
wrote:

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Father says there was a thing on the telly today about people getting
conned into buying 'HD ready' as opposed to 'HD' tellys. But he can't
remember what programme it was. Any ideas anyone?

The fact is Freeview HD did not exist a year ago so there were no TVs on the
market designed for that but there were HD Ready TVs as in Satellite HD
Ready. I think all TVs should now come with a Freeview HD tuner or Freesat
HD or both but they are still coming with Freeview SD tuners and are still
being branded HD Ready which does not mean what it used too.

As I understand it the point about an HD Ready TV is that it does not
have the same screen resolution as a Full HD TV.

For instance (using Amazon for convenience):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LE32.../ref=de_a_smtd

Samsung LE32C450 32-inch Widescreen HD Ready 50Hz LCD TV with
Freeview

Technical Details
Screen Size: 32"
Resolution: 1366 x 768
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LE32...15142&sr =1-2

Samsung LE32C530 32-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 50Hz LCD TV with
Freeview

Technical Details
Screen Size: 32"
Resolution : 1920 x 1080

The HD Ready TV can accept and display HD material, BUT it has to
downscale from 1920 x 1080 to 1366 x 768.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old November 25th 10, 07:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

wrote:

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Father says there was a thing on the telly today about people getting
conned into buying 'HD ready' as opposed to 'HD' tellys. But he can't
remember what programme it was. Any ideas anyone?

The fact is Freeview HD did not exist a year ago so there were no TVs on the
market designed for that but there were HD Ready TVs as in Satellite HD
Ready. I think all TVs should now come with a Freeview HD tuner or Freesat
HD or both but they are still coming with Freeview SD tuners and are still
being branded HD Ready which does not mean what it used too.

I interpreted the question as asking the name of the programme.
Old November 25th 10, 07:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote:

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Father says there was a thing on the telly today about people getting
conned into buying 'HD ready' as opposed to 'HD' tellys. But he can't
remember what programme it was. Any ideas anyone?

The fact is Freeview HD did not exist a year ago so there were no TVs on the
market designed for that but there were HD Ready TVs as in Satellite HD
Ready. I think all TVs should now come with a Freeview HD tuner or Freesat
HD or both but they are still coming with Freeview SD tuners and are still
being branded HD Ready which does not mean what it used too.

I interpreted the question as asking the name of the programme.

That is what I asked.

Old November 25th 10, 07:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

wrote:

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Father says there was a thing on the telly today about people getting
conned into buying 'HD ready' as opposed to 'HD' tellys. But he can't
remember what programme it was. Any ideas anyone?

The fact is Freeview HD did not exist a year ago so there were no TVs on
the
market designed for that but there were HD Ready TVs as in Satellite HD
Ready. I think all TVs should now come with a Freeview HD tuner or Freesat
HD or both but they are still coming with Freeview SD tuners and are still
being branded HD Ready which does not mean what it used too.

As I understand it the point about an HD Ready TV is that it does not
have the same screen resolution as a Full HD TV.

I thought that Full HD meant that it has a Freeview HD tuner rather than
Freeview SD. BICBW.

--
Max Demian

Old November 25th 10, 07:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
..

I interpreted the question as asking the name of the programme.

That is what I asked.

Rip Off Britain.
David

Old November 25th 10, 08:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Rumm

wrote:

"Bill wrote in message
Father says there was a thing on the telly today about people getting
conned into buying 'HD ready' as opposed to 'HD' tellys. But he can't
remember what programme it was. Any ideas anyone?

The fact is Freeview HD did not exist a year ago so there were no TVs on the
market designed for that but there were HD Ready TVs as in Satellite HD
Ready. I think all TVs should now come with a Freeview HD tuner or Freesat
HD or both but they are still coming with Freeview SD tuners and are still
being branded HD Ready which does not mean what it used too.

As I understand it the point about an HD Ready TV is that it does not
have the same screen resolution as a Full HD TV.

Sometimes - alas not always that simple....

You can have HD ready TVs that can't handle the highest res HD, and has
no HD tuner - so "HD Ready" with Freeview (or sat)

You can have HD ready that can do full 1080p but don't have a HD tuner,
so "Full HD" with Freeview (or sat)

You can have HD that has a HD tuner but can't to full 1080p res, so HD
TV with Freeview (or sat) HD and read the small print on the screen spec

and finally you can have HD that has the tuner and can do 1080p, so Full
HD with Freeview (or sat) HD

There may even be some HD ready TVs with no digital tuner at all
floating about

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LE32...15142&sr =1-2

Samsung LE32C530 32-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 50Hz LCD TV with
Freeview

Technical Details
Screen Size: 32"
Resolution : 1920 x 1080

It does not seem to mention what sort of tuner it has... however I
expect its a Freeview SD tuner since it does not say Freeview HD.

--
Cheers,

John.