VCR as a SCART to UHF converter?

Old July 7th 10, 09:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
jamie powell

Default VCR as a SCART to UHF converter?

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
jamie powell wrote:
"Mark Carver" wrote in message

The Scart RGB interface actually relies on the CVBS signal to be present, in
order to provide the sync pulses. There are no 'syncs on green'. However on
Sky boxes the actual video signal on CVBS was (still is ?) muted in RGB
output mode.

I've never seen this on a Sky box - which make/model did you have?

Pace 2200. However, thinking back, I think I'm 'arse about face' with this, it
might have been the RGB video was quenched whenever the 'tv' button on the Sky
box was pressed. ISTR it was introduced in a s/w update shortly after launch,
98/99 ish.

Googles

Ah, yes, further reading

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s...d.php?t=152083

Yes, that is a most annoying feature of Sky digibox remotes, originally designed
as a workaround for a minority of uber-cheap TV's from the 1990s, which shared a
single RGB path for both teletext and the SCART input.

Afaik there's literally no way to disable it, and the feature is still present
on our brand new Sky+ HD box! It doesn't affect HDMI of course, but I still have
the SCART lead connected, because SD output from the HDMI connector is 576p -
poorly deinterlaced by the Sky box - and looks awful.

So 11+ years after this silly feature was introduced, I'm still having to cover
the remote's IR emitter with my hand, everytime I press the 'tv' key.

Old July 8th 10, 02:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
ian field

"ian field" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"Clyde" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
On 06/07/2010 12:54, Clyde wrote:
On 05/07/2010 22:28, Adrian C wrote:
On 05/07/2010 21:38, ian field wrote:
At some point I hope to be testing a PVR with a rebuilt power board,
however
the only TV at the workshop is a Casio pocket TV (no scart connector -
obviously).

Will a typical VCR present a UHF signal out from scart in???

Yes.

It depends, if the box output can be set as composite video (CBVS) then
yes. However, some Freeview boxes etc. output RGB which will not be
convertible by a VCR. I think you can get a modulator, or make one.

I've looked into making one myself, basically you would need a modulator
(one from an old VCR or SKY analogue box would do) a power supply for the
modulator (some are 5v, some are 12v, not much current so a basic power
supply or battery would probably do) and an IC (can't remember the number
but I can find out if you like, along with details of construction)

Yes please - a convenient place to upload is
News:alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

For some reason clicking the link I gave doesn't take me to the group - has
anyone spotted what I mucked up?

Old July 8th 10, 06:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message [email protected], ian field
writes

"ian field" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"Clyde" wrote in message
[...]

It's a newsgroup (just like this one) - not a web site.
You need to 'subscribe' to it in the usual way.
--
Ian
Old July 8th 10, 09:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
ian field

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message [email protected], ian field
writes

"ian field" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"Clyde" wrote in message
[...]

I am subscibed to that group, and it always worked in the past, I'm pretty
sure other people have sent me links to NGs that I wasn't subscribed to and
that also worked - when I clicked another group I got a message box pop up
asking me if I wanted to subscribe to the new one.

Old July 8th 10, 10:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message [email protected], ian field
writes

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message [email protected], ian field
writes

"ian field" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"Clyde" wrote in message
[...]

Hey! It worked for me, bringing up a new, unread post about a Music &
Sound model MC602 intercom master. Maybe you need to unsubscribe, and
re-subscribe (but beware you don't lose any posts which you have saved).
Or could it be that your news server no longer carrying
Old July 9th 10, 01:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian C

In [email protected],
wrote:
Sounds like you have a faulty TV.

Well it's not mine, it was an old Sony.

When the Virgin Media chap installed my new STB he set the output to
CBVS, I have since changed it. I think the composite signal gives
slightly better contrast, but the picture seems to have better detail in
RGB.

There could well be a difference between the basic contrast etc settings.
But that could be down to poor design of either the TV or STB. Not CVBS
being fundamentally better than RGB. On my setup, there is no difference
in 'contrast' when switching the STB output from CVBS to RGB. But a
dramatic improvment on at least some things. Starting with the STB
menu. ;-)

There are some televisions (though surprised if those are Sony) out
there that do convert external RGB input signals to something nastier,
so that contrast and colour controls and on-screen graphics can do their
thing afterwards in an standardised fashion.

The other thing could be un-individually screened RGB cables in use in
the SCART lead, picking up crosstalk from other video outputs (internal
TV tuner is the usual villain) and muddying the blacklevel (though other
picture interference would be a bit visible in this case).

-&-

Doesn't have much to do with the above, but I found the following page
an interesting read about television set modding adding RGB inputs where
none had been there before.

http://133fsb.wordpress.com/2010/05/22/adding-an-rgb-input-to-a-cheap-generic-ntsc-tv/

--
Adrian C
Old July 9th 10, 02:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
ian field

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message [email protected], ian field
writes

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message [email protected], ian field
writes

"ian field" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"Clyde" wrote in message
[...]

There's some new posts since I looked yesterday so OK so far.