InView EPG to be withdrawn - DigiFusion / Thomson PVRs affected

Old June 30th 10, 02:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
larkim

Default InView EPG to be withdrawn - DigiFusion / Thomson PVRs affected

Not sure if the message has been seen here, but my beloved Thomson
DHD4000 will cease to have a working EPG in a couple of weeks time as
InView (the company responsible for broadcasting the old 4TV EPG
overnight) are withdrawing their service.

I believe this also affects Digifusion PVRs (not all models) and at
least on Sony PVR.

See digitalspy for various threads - e.g.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s....php?t=1286528

Matt
Old July 1st 10, 03:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
ian field

"larkim" wrote in message
Not sure if the message has been seen here, but my beloved Thomson
DHD4000 will cease to have a working EPG in a couple of weeks time as
InView (the company responsible for broadcasting the old 4TV EPG
overnight) are withdrawing their service.

I believe this also affects Digifusion PVRs (not all models) and at
least on Sony PVR.

See digitalspy for various threads - e.g.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s....php?t=1286528

Matt

It looks as if my Digifusion FVRT90 and myTechwood PVR160TW are both
affected - neither are showing EPG past the 7th.

I've emailed both companies for more info (the Techwood seems to be a Vestel
in disguise) - neither have bothered to reply!

Old July 1st 10, 07:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ivan

"ian field" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"larkim" wrote in message
Not sure if the message has been seen here, but my beloved Thomson
DHD4000 will cease to have a working EPG in a couple of weeks time as
InView (the company responsible for broadcasting the old 4TV EPG
overnight) are withdrawing their service.

I believe this also affects Digifusion PVRs (not all models) and at
least on Sony PVR.

See digitalspy for various threads - e.g.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s....php?t=1286528

Matt

It looks as if my Digifusion FVRT90 and myTechwood PVR160TW are both
affected - neither are showing EPG past the 7th.

Same here with my FVRT145 the calendar won't go past the 7th.. although a
Digifusion FVRT95, I use occasionally in the bedroom, appears to be fine and
unaffected.

Old July 1st 10, 09:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
ian field

"Ivan" wrote in message

"ian field" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"larkim" wrote in message
Not sure if the message has been seen here, but my beloved Thomson
DHD4000 will cease to have a working EPG in a couple of weeks time as
InView (the company responsible for broadcasting the old 4TV EPG
overnight) are withdrawing their service.

I believe this also affects Digifusion PVRs (not all models) and at
least on Sony PVR.

See digitalspy for various threads - e.g.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s....php?t=1286528

Matt

It looks as if my Digifusion FVRT90 and myTechwood PVR160TW are both
affected - neither are showing EPG past the 7th.

Same here with my FVRT145 the calendar won't go past the 7th.. although a
Digifusion FVRT95, I use occasionally in the bedroom, appears to be fine
and unaffected.

Just double checked the FVRT90 and it now has -some- entries for the 8th, so
fingers crossed.

The Techwood has a PITA EPG so I always use the FVRT first, the Tech' takes
ages to fill its EPG as it doesn't seem to update it in standby.

There's also a Maplin/Nikkai A52HF PVR which is a right POS, it and the Tech
both have RS-232 ports for firmware upgrades, but I've googled for hours and
not found where to download any upgrades.

Old July 2nd 10, 12:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Wade

"Mike Henry" wrote in message
In [email protected], "ian field"
wrote:

"larkim" wrote in message
Not sure if the message has been seen here, but my beloved Thomson
DHD4000 will cease to have a working EPG in a couple of weeks time as
InView (the company responsible for broadcasting the old 4TV EPG
overnight) are withdrawing their service.

Charming. How nice of them.

[...]
It looks as if my Digifusion FVRT90 and myTechwood PVR160TW are both
affected - neither are showing EPG past the 7th.

I've emailed both companies for more info (the Techwood seems to be a
Vestel
in disguise) - neither have bothered to reply!

Contrast that despicable behaviour with TiVo (soon to return to the UK in
their partnership with Virgin cable), who closed their UK office eight
years ago but still provide a full EPG guide data service for all the UK
series 1 TiVo PVRs to this day. This has included several major upgrades
to the backend guide data servers in the USA, and an upgrade when Sky
changed the radio channels to 4 digits. TiVo could have easily called it a
day at any time but didn't.

My Thompson died when the BBC when 16QAM in the north west. Its just
unusable and stutters like mad.,

Old July 2nd 10, 01:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
J G Miller[_3_]

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 00:10:59 +0100, Dave Wade wrote:

My Thompson died when the BBC when 16QAM in the north west. Its just
unusable and stutters like mad.,

Surely you mean when the multiplex carrying the BBC services changed
from 16 QAM FFT 2k to 64 QAM FFT 8k ?

Old July 2nd 10, 11:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tony[_8_]

ian field wrote:
"Ivan" wrote in message
"ian field" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
"larkim" wrote in message
[...]

The Digifusions FVRT90 and 95 use the DVB 7 day guide not Inview. My
Ferguson one of same chassis doesn't update as often as new kit that is
trying harder to keep up with schedule changes.

--
Tony
Old July 2nd 10, 03:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
larkim

wrote:

"larkim" wrote in message
[...]

Not all were created equal!! My DHD4000 worked fine post DSO. It
seems from other users' experience that a replaced PSU fixed issues
with the change of QAM, as seemingly the post-DSO setup required
slightly more power to process. I can't comment if that's true or
not, but mine has a replaced PSU and continues to work flawlessly.
Well, until 7th July....

Matt
Old July 2nd 10, 03:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
larkim

wrote:
"larkim" wrote in message
[...]

But TiVo's transmission mechanism was more or less free wasn't it?
i.e. over the internet? InView had to pay to broadcast the service
over the airways, which I suspect is seriously more expensive. (but
nonetheless, credit to TiVo for sticking to it!!)

Its just a shame that Thomson (and the other device manufacturers)
didn't build a firmware which allowed for use of the Freeview EPG in
the event of the InView one being withdrawn. I think there was a view
at one time that the InView EPG would be capable of inserting ads,
which (whilst not appealing) would at least have made the service
potentially commercially viable.

I don't blame InView - I blame Thomson / Digifusion, but only a little
bit. They got really reliable, functional machines out 6 years ago
and had to come up with an EPG solution as there was no Freeview EPG
at the time the boxes were designed.

Matt
Old July 2nd 10, 05:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave[_8_]

"larkim" wrote in message
Not sure if the message has been seen here, but my beloved Thomson
DHD4000 will cease to have a working EPG in a couple of weeks time as
InView (the company responsible for broadcasting the old 4TV EPG
overnight) are withdrawing their service.

I believe this also affects Digifusion PVRs (not all models) and at
least on Sony PVR.

See digitalspy for various threads - e.g.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s....php?t=1286528

Matt

So are these boxes scrappers then, or can anyone write a new firmware that
could be made to use another EPG? Is anyone working on anything or is it
unlikely to happen?