Ross HD receiver firmware

Old June 23rd 10, 11:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Legon

Default Ross HD receiver firmware

Having guessed that the hardware in my Ross HD satellite receiver is the
same as that used in the Telsky S 220 HD, I thought it would be fun to
download and install the firmware revision for the Telesky box from the
telsky.de website, to see if there were any advantages.

It turns out that the version number 1.0.6 is the same as that of the
current Ross release and the GUI is very similar, but there are some
significant differences:

On powering up with the Telsky firmware installed, the Ross displays a
cheery Telsky "welcome" screen, where before there was a blank screen

The default language is German, but is easily changed to English.

The Telsky is pre-programmed with Astra 19E and Hotbird 13E channels,
both FTA and encrypted. Total number of services is 2309. Having LNBs
pointing to these satellites, I set the DiSEqC switching accordingly.

Astra/Eurobird is included in the list of satellites, and a scan brought
in all the Freesat channels without any problem.

With the Ross firmware, re-scanning a satellite deleted my carefully
organised channel list and replaced it with a new list in transponder
frequency order. The Telsky firmware preserves the existing list and
adds anything new at the end. Much better.

However, it is not easy to get rid of the 1300+ encrypted channels in the
Telsky channel lists for Hotbird and Astra 1. It is pointless to have
these in an FTA box and manual deletion is impractical. I ended up by
deleting these satellites in toto and starting again from scratch, just
adding those transponders with worthwhile content and scanning FTA only.

With the Telsky channel lists, selecting a channel takes only one press
of OK whereas the Ross takes two presses.

Unlike the Ross, the favourites lists are not pre-populated, and the
names of the categories match the icons.

Setting a timer to record a programme, the Telsky requests start time and
stop time whereas the Ross wants start time and duration.

While recording, the Telsky displays the red indicator and elapsed time
on screen for only a few seconds, after which the elapsed time can be
found by pressing Info.

There is an option to download OTA updates (untested).

Conclusion
~~~~~~~~~~
Although the use of alien firmware invalidates the warranty and might
have trashed the box, there is some improvement in operation with the
Ross/Telsky hybrid. It is also possible to revert to the Ross version.

--
John L
Old June 24th 10, 12:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

John Legon wrote:
Having guessed that the hardware in my Ross HD satellite receiver is the
same as that used in the Telsky S 220 HD, I thought it would be fun to
download and install the firmware revision for the Telesky box from the
telsky.de website, to see if there were any advantages.

It turns out that the version number 1.0.6 is the same as that of the
current Ross release and the GUI is very similar, but there are some
significant differences:

On powering up with the Telsky firmware installed, the Ross displays a
cheery Telsky "welcome" screen, where before there was a blank screen

The default language is German, but is easily changed to English.

Thanks for that. I downloaded it a while ago, but was
afraid it would be stuck in German.

[...]

I scanned the Astra 19E satellite (after re-pointing
the dish - I don't have switching, yet) and found it
also picked up a lot of encrypted or blank channels,
though I'm sure I'd set it for FTA. Only a couple
actually had a subscription "$" label. The original
28E channels were retained, but then I only need to
display the list for that satellite (after swinging
back the dish), so they're not mixed up with 19E.
(This is all with Ross software.)

It's a pity the lists can't be exported separately, or
unpacked/edited/repacked from the image file.

With the Telsky channel lists, selecting a channel takes only one press
of OK whereas the Ross takes two presses.

Almost worth changing the firmware for that alone!

Unlike the Ross, the favourites lists are not pre-populated, and the
names of the categories match the icons.

Setting a timer to record a programme, the Telsky requests start time and
stop time whereas the Ross wants start time and duration.

While recording, the Telsky displays the red indicator and elapsed time
on screen for only a few seconds, after which the elapsed time can be
found by pressing Info.

There is an option to download OTA updates (untested).

Conclusion
~~~~~~~~~~
Although the use of alien firmware invalidates the warranty and might
have trashed the box, there is some improvement in operation with the
Ross/Telsky hybrid. It is also possible to revert to the Ross version.

Presumably, you just insert the USB drive with the
Ross software?

It sounds as if the Telsky firmware is a little more
advanced than the Ross one, which seems mainly to have
been issued for channel updates. Do you find it
records OK? I've only played a little, but had
problems with playback, from severe audio sync loss to
complete loss of the HD AC3 audio (though it plays
back on a PC, as stereo).
Old June 24th 10, 04:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Legon

At 13:01:49 Thu, 24 Jun 2010, Jim wrote:
John Legon wrote:
Having guessed that the hardware in my Ross HD satellite receiver is the
same as that used in the Telsky S 220 HD, I thought it would be fun to
download and install the firmware revision for the Telesky box from the
telsky.de website, to see if there were any advantages.

It turns out that the version number 1.0.6 is the same as that of the
current Ross release and the GUI is very similar, but there are some
significant differences:

On powering up with the Telsky firmware installed, the Ross displays a
cheery Telsky "welcome" screen, where before there was a blank screen

The default language is German, but is easily changed to English.

Thanks for that. I downloaded it a while ago, but was
afraid it would be stuck in German.

You'll find that the language options are in the same place as
in the Ross. In German the menu sequence is -

Benutzereinstellungen - OSD Einstellung - Menüsprache - English

After that it's plain sailing...

[...]

Yes, for Astra 19E there are a lot of what appear to be FTA
placeholders for encrypted channels. I was glad to get rid of
these when I reworked the satellite transponder list for 19E,
using the data from linowsat.co.uk as my reference.

The original
28E channels were retained, but then I only need to
display the list for that satellite (after swinging
back the dish), so they're not mixed up with 19E.
(This is all with Ross software.)

With the Ross, rescanning a satellite only resets the channel
list for that satellite, leaving the other lists intact.

It's a pity the lists can't be exported separately, or
unpacked/edited/repacked from the image file.

Agreed, though I suspect there is a hidden menu somewhere
that will do it.

With the Telsky channel lists, selecting a channel takes only one press
of OK whereas the Ross takes two presses.

Almost worth changing the firmware for that alone!

It's a small detail but I thought it was worth mentioning

There is an option to download OTA updates (untested).

Conclusion
~~~~~~~~~~
Although the use of alien firmware invalidates the warranty and might
have trashed the box, there is some improvement in operation with the
Ross/Telsky hybrid. It is also possible to revert to the Ross version.

Presumably, you just insert the USB drive with the
Ross software?

Yes, a memory stick with the Ross *.img file is inserted with the box
switched off. On powering up, the new firmware is loaded automatically.

It's different with the Telsky firmware, which unzips as a *.bin file.
The procedure here is to go to the USB menu, highlight the file and
press the red button to update. Press OK to confirm and you'll get a
message saying 'writing file, please wait'... and then, if everything is
hunky-dory, a message asking you to reboot. At which point you'll have
to switch off at the back, switch on again and hope for the best.

It sounds as if the Telsky firmware is a little more
advanced than the Ross one, which seems mainly to have
been issued for channel updates.

Agreed.

Do you find it
records OK? I've only played a little, but had
problems with playback, from severe audio sync loss to
complete loss of the HD AC3 audio (though it plays
back on a PC, as stereo).

Recording in general has been successful, but I have always had the
audio set to MPEG2 stereo. As a test, I've just recorded some BBC HD
which conveniently happens to be tennis. Audio sync as ball hits racket
is spot on. You're right though, there's no sound with AC3 recordings
when played back on the Ross, although it's fine on a PC.

--
John L
Old June 28th 10, 08:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Baz[_2_]

Hello John & all, I hope you dont mind if I jump in and ask you if you can
help with this?

I have the Ross HD Digital receiver HDR-6110USB.

I am of very new to Freesat.

Can you tell me how to turn of the AD (Audio Description) while watching BBC
HD?

This may also happen on other channels that I have not yet tried.

Many thanks for any info.

Barry

Old June 28th 10, 11:09 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Legon

At 09:37:25 Mon, 28 Jun 2010, Baz wrote:
Hello John & all, I hope you dont mind if I jump in and ask you if you can
help with this?

I have the Ross HD Digital receiver HDR-6110USB.

I am of very new to Freesat.

Can you tell me how to turn of the AD (Audio Description) while watching BBC
HD?

Press the "Audio" button on the remote (top right) and change the audio
mode from MPEG2 to AC3. You'll probably notice a drop in volume level.

Hope that helps...

--
John L
Old June 28th 10, 01:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
J G Miller[_3_]

On Monday, June 28th, 2010 at 09:37:25h +0100, Baz explained:

I have the Ross HD Digital receiver HDR-6110USB.

Will this receiver be affected by OfCon's decision to allow the
BBC and other UKofGB&NI broadcasters to encrypt the EPG
data stream for their HD transmissions?

After all, OfCon have declared that this decision
"would deliver greater benefits to citizens and consumers."
Old June 28th 10, 03:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Legon

"J G Miller" wrote in message
On Monday, June 28th, 2010 at 09:37:25h +0100, Baz explained:

I have the Ross HD Digital receiver HDR-6110USB.

Will this receiver be affected by OfCon's decision to allow the
BBC and other UKofGB&NI broadcasters to encrypt the EPG
data stream for their HD transmissions?

Is there any reason why it might be?

The Ross is an FTA satellite box, not Freeview, and it doesn't use the
(already encrypted) Freesat EPG.

Old June 28th 10, 03:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
J G Miller[_3_]

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 16:41:06 +0100, John Legon wrote:

The Ross is an FTA satellite box, not Freeview,

Does that mean that the BBC will not be encrypting the
HD data information on satellite as well as on Multiplex PSB-3?

and it doesn't use the (already encrypted) Freesat EPG.

To the best of my understanding, the Freesat EPG is not encrypted.
Old June 28th 10, 04:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Legon

"J G Miller" wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 16:41:06 +0100, John Legon wrote:

The Ross is an FTA satellite box, not Freeview,

Does that mean that the BBC will not be encrypting the
HD data information on satellite as well as on Multiplex PSB-3?

I've not learnt about any changes which will affect reception of BBC HD on
the Ross or any other FTA HD satellite receiver.

and it doesn't use the (already encrypted) Freesat EPG.

To the best of my understanding, the Freesat EPG is not encrypted.

I've just read something that suggests that it uses Huffman coding, which
AFAIK is strictly a compression algorithm rather than encryption.

Old June 28th 10, 09:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Baz[_2_]

"John Legon" wrote in message
At 09:37:25 Mon, 28 Jun 2010, Baz wrote:
Hello John & all, I hope you dont mind if I jump in and ask you if you can
help with this?

I have the Ross HD Digital receiver HDR-6110USB.

I am of very new to Freesat.

Can you tell me how to turn of the AD (Audio Description) while watching
BBC
HD?

Press the "Audio" button on the remote (top right) and change the audio
mode from MPEG2 to AC3. You'll probably notice a drop in volume level.

Hope that helps...

--
John L

Yes many thanks for your help John.