Ross HD receiver firmware

Old July 2nd 10, 09:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Mc[_3_]

Default Ross HD receiver firmware

Mike Henry wrote:
: But multiregion DVD players are also the products of definite hacking,
: just a different flavour. I haven't heard of any branches of Tesco or Asda
: being raided by the Police and the DVD players being removed from the
: shelves :-)

But, in the case of multiregion DVD players, *NO ONE CARES* - and often
the manufacturers themseleves have leaked the region-free codes!

For FreeviewHD the EPG rights are owned by a separate organisation to the
manufacturers - who may well decide to send the police in to Tesco etc.!
Old July 26th 10, 06:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

John Legon wrote:
At 13:01:49 Thu, 24 Jun 2010, Jim wrote:
John Legon wrote:
Having guessed that the hardware in my Ross HD satellite receiver is the
same as that used in the Telsky S 220 HD, I thought it would be fun to
download and install the firmware revision for the Telesky box from the
telsky.de website, to see if there were any advantages.

It turns out that the version number 1.0.6 is the same as that of the
current Ross release and the GUI is very similar, but there are some
significant differences:

When checking back to the Telsky site recently, I
noticed they seemed to have released a further
version, dated 30th June.
http://www.telsky.de/index8582.html?nav=DVB_S,de,5-5

There's also details of the new S230, due for release
in August. The case looks the same as the Ross.
http://www.telsky.de/index9c1f.html?nav=DVB_S,de,5-36

On powering up with the Telsky firmware installed, the Ross displays a
cheery Telsky "welcome" screen, where before there was a blank screen

The default language is German, but is easily changed to English.

Thanks for that. I downloaded it a while ago, but was
afraid it would be stuck in German.

You'll find that the language options are in the same place as
in the Ross. In German the menu sequence is -

Benutzereinstellungen - OSD Einstellung - Menüsprache - English

After that it's plain sailing...

The Telsky is pre-programmed with Astra 19E and Hotbird 13E channels,
both FTA and encrypted. Total number of services is 2309. Having LNBs
pointing to these satellites, I set the DiSEqC switching accordingly.

Astra/Eurobird is included in the list of satellites, and a scan brought
in all the Freesat channels without any problem.

With the Ross firmware, re-scanning a satellite deleted my carefully
organised channel list and replaced it with a new list in transponder
frequency order. The Telsky firmware preserves the existing list and
adds anything new at the end. Much better.

However, it is not easy to get rid of the 1300+ encrypted channels in the
Telsky channel lists for Hotbird and Astra 1. It is pointless to have
these in an FTA box and manual deletion is impractical. I ended up by
deleting these satellites in toto and starting again from scratch, just
adding those transponders with worthwhile content and scanning FTA only.

I scanned the Astra 19E satellite (after re-pointing
the dish - I don't have switching, yet) and found it
also picked up a lot of encrypted or blank channels,
though I'm sure I'd set it for FTA. Only a couple
actually had a subscription "$" label.

Yes, for Astra 19E there are a lot of what appear to be FTA
placeholders for encrypted channels. I was glad to get rid of
these when I reworked the satellite transponder list for 19E,
using the data from linowsat.co.uk as my reference.

My system is motorised now, and I did that for other
satellites, so I may do the same for the pre-set ones.
It's a lot of work, though.

The original
28E channels were retained, but then I only need to
display the list for that satellite (after swinging
back the dish), so they're not mixed up with 19E.
(This is all with Ross software.)

With the Ross, rescanning a satellite only resets the channel
list for that satellite, leaving the other lists intact.

It's a pity the lists can't be exported separately, or
unpacked/edited/repacked from the image file.

Agreed, though I suspect there is a hidden menu somewhere
that will do it.

With the Telsky channel lists, selecting a channel takes only one press
of OK whereas the Ross takes two presses.

Almost worth changing the firmware for that alone!

It's a small detail but I thought it was worth mentioning

There is an option to download OTA updates (untested).

Conclusion
~~~~~~~~~~
Although the use of alien firmware invalidates the warranty and might
have trashed the box, there is some improvement in operation with the
Ross/Telsky hybrid. It is also possible to revert to the Ross version.

Presumably, you just insert the USB drive with the
Ross software?

Yes, a memory stick with the Ross *.img file is inserted with the box
switched off. On powering up, the new firmware is loaded automatically.

It's different with the Telsky firmware, which unzips as a *.bin file.
The procedure here is to go to the USB menu, highlight the file and
press the red button to update. Press OK to confirm and you'll get a
message saying 'writing file, please wait'... and then, if everything is
hunky-dory, a message asking you to reboot. At which point you'll have
to switch off at the back, switch on again and hope for the best.

It sounds as if the Telsky firmware is a little more
advanced than the Ross one, which seems mainly to have
been issued for channel updates.

Agreed.

Do you find it
records OK? I've only played a little, but had
problems with playback, from severe audio sync loss to
complete loss of the HD AC3 audio (though it plays
back on a PC, as stereo).

Recording in general has been successful, but I have always had the
audio set to MPEG2 stereo. As a test, I've just recorded some BBC HD
which conveniently happens to be tennis. Audio sync as ball hits racket
is spot on. You're right though, there's no sound with AC3 recordings
when played back on the Ross, although it's fine on a PC.

Having added an optical converter to the digital
output, I was disappointed to find no output when the
interface and channel audio are both set for AC3.
With either set to MPEG, sound is received. Maybe
this is linked to the recording issue.

Multi-channel audio is very elusive, I'm finding.
Old July 27th 10, 06:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Legon

John Legon wrote:
Having guessed that the hardware in my Ross HD satellite receiver is the
same as that used in the Telsky S 220 HD, I thought it would be fun to
download and install the firmware revision for the Telesky box from the
telsky.de website, to see if there were any advantages.

When checking back to the Telsky site recently, I
noticed they seemed to have released a further
version, dated 30th June.
http://www.telsky.de/index8582.html?nav=DVB_S,de,5-5

Yes, I downloaded the file last week, but I haven't installed it because
it isn't clear exactly what, if any, functional changes have been made.
It may just contain an updated channel list (for ARD & ZDF HD ?).

There's also details of the new S230, due for release
in August. The case looks the same as the Ross.
http://www.telsky.de/index9c1f.html?nav=DVB_S,de,5-36

Interesting. It's clearly the same box - though the internals could be
different - with a revamped "animated multi-language user interface with
256 colours." If the firmware becomes available, then I might try to
install it on the Ross (assuming that the hardware is indeed the same
since the present GUI is decidedly dull !

BTW, the blurb for the S 230 mentions that the media player will display
photos in BMP format. It turns out that the Ross with S 220 firmware
will do the same - something I hadn't realised until this morning.

I scanned the Astra 19E satellite (after re-pointing
the dish - I don't have switching, yet) and found it
also picked up a lot of encrypted or blank channels,
though I'm sure I'd set it for FTA. Only a couple
actually had a subscription "$" label.

Yes, for Astra 19E there are a lot of what appear to be FTA
placeholders for encrypted channels. I was glad to get rid of
these when I reworked the satellite transponder list for 19E,
using the data from linowsat.co.uk as my reference.

My system is motorised now, and I did that for other
satellites, so I may do the same for the pre-set ones.
It's a lot of work, though.

I haven't tried a motor, but instead use DiSEqC 1.0 switching between
four LNBs - three mounted on one fixed dish for 13, 19 and 28 E, and one
mounted on a second identical dish (the Ross) which I move manually for
reception of other satellites. Since the receiver supports DiSEqC 1.1,
however, it should be possible switch between up to 16 LNBs.

--
John Legon
Old July 28th 10, 01:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Legon

At 07:22:04 Tue, 27 Jul 2010, John Legon wrote:
At 19:37:02 Mon, 26 Jul 2010, Jim wrote:

When checking back to the Telsky site recently, I
noticed they seemed to have released a further
version, dated 30th June.
http://www.telsky.de/index8582.html?nav=DVB_S,de,5-5

There's also details of the new S230, due for release
in August. The case looks the same as the Ross.
http://www.telsky.de/index9c1f.html?nav=DVB_S,de,5-36

Interesting. It's clearly the same box - though the internals could be
different - with a revamped "animated multi-language user interface with
256 colours."

I now strongly suspect that the only real difference between the Telsky
220 and 230 models is that the latter has the USB on the back - like the
Ross - and that the animated user interface refers to the carousel-style
menu which we already have.

It may be significant that the recent firmware update for the S 220 is
said to be suitable for models that have the USB on the back panel, when
the 220 is illustrated with the USB on front...

Old July 29th 10, 05:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

John Legon wrote:
[...]

The spec for both mentions a 7-day EPG. Do you have
that available on the Telsky software, or is it
dependent on the transponder?
Old July 29th 10, 07:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Legon

At 18:28:27 Thu, 29 Jul 2010, Jim wrote:
John Legon wrote:
[...]

The 7-day EPG is available on the Telsky to the same extent that it is
on the Ross. It is transmitted by the major German broadcasters and a
few others, but not by Freesat which is now-and-next.

BTW, I've found another clone of the Ross - the Telestar TD 2100 HD.
This has a different front panel to the Telsky S 220 but the back is the
same, and the quoted hardware version for the latest firmware update is
the same as for the Ross:

http://www.telestar.de/index381f.htm...DVB_S,de,9-273

--
John L
Old July 30th 10, 09:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Legon

John Legon wrote:
At 19:37:02 Mon, 26 Jul 2010, Jim wrote:

When checking back to the Telsky site recently, I
noticed they seemed to have released a further
version, dated 30th June.
http://www.telsky.de/index8582.html?nav=DVB_S,de,5-5

BTW, I've found another clone of the Ross - the Telestar TD 2100 HD.
This has a different front panel to the Telsky S 220 but the back is the
same, and the quoted hardware version for the latest firmware update is
the same as for the Ross:

http://www.telestar.de/index381f.htm...DVB_S,de,9-273

Just for the fun of it, I've now installed the latest firmware for the
Telestar TD 2100 on the Ross receiver - version 1.0.7 dated 30/6/2010 -
overwriting the previously-installed Telsky firmware version 1.0.6.

Surprisingly, unlike the Ross - Telsky update, the Telsky - Telestar
update has preserved all of my satellite channel lists and settings,
saving a lot of work.

Most significantly, this latest update seems to have completely cured
the intermittent glitching (Bildaussetzern) which affected most of the
German HD channels...

An option for "manual add channel" has been added while an option for
receiving OTA updates has been removed.

The problem with recordings using AC3 audio still remains, though the
sound is OK when the files are played on a PC.

Incredibly, selecting channels using the number keys on the remote still
effectively disables timer recordings from standby, when the low power
standby mode is off...

--
John Legon

Old July 30th 10, 04:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

John Legon wrote:
John Legon wrote:
At 19:37:02 Mon, 26 Jul 2010, Jim wrote:
When checking back to the Telsky site recently, I
noticed they seemed to have released a further
version, dated 30th June.
http://www.telsky.de/index8582.html?nav=DVB_S,de,5-5

BTW, I've found another clone of the Ross - the Telestar TD 2100 HD.
This has a different front panel to the Telsky S 220 but the back is the
same, and the quoted hardware version for the latest firmware update is
the same as for the Ross:

http://www.telestar.de/index381f.htm...DVB_S,de,9-273

Did you also see the Telestar 2200, which has the same
back-panel as the Telsky S230 and the Ross? Again,
it's not due out until August.

The manual is worth a look. I don't know if the
software will be compatible, but the CPU/memory specs
are the same. The photos of the new menus are
legible, unlike the PDFs of the other manuals. It
looks as if the channel list doesn't take up the whole
screen - you can see a picture behind. Still only 8
favourites, and with numbers, not categories. And
still also 4000 channels, despite the display
misleadingly showing "5000" !

Just for the fun of it, I've now installed the latest firmware for the
Telestar TD 2100 on the Ross receiver - version 1.0.7 dated 30/6/2010 -
overwriting the previously-installed Telsky firmware version 1.0.6.

Surprisingly, unlike the Ross - Telsky update, the Telsky - Telestar
update has preserved all of my satellite channel lists and settings,
saving a lot of work.

The 2200 appears to have a USB database backup and
restore.

Most significantly, this latest update seems to have completely cured
the intermittent glitching (Bildaussetzern) which affected most of the
German HD channels...

I've noticed some problems, usually just after
changing channels.

An option for "manual add channel" has been added while an option for
receiving OTA updates has been removed.

The problem with recordings using AC3 audio still remains, though the
sound is OK when the files are played on a PC.

Incredibly, selecting channels using the number keys on the remote still
effectively disables timer recordings from standby, when the low power
standby mode is off...

Almost perfect...
Old July 30th 10, 07:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Legon

At 17:16:02 Fri, 30 Jul 2010, Jim wrote:
John Legon wrote:

[...]
At 19:37:02 Mon, 26 Jul 2010, Jim wrote:
When checking back to the Telsky site recently, I
noticed they seemed to have released a further
version, dated 30th June.
http://www.telsky.de/index8582.html?nav=DVB_S,de,5-5

BTW, I've found another clone of the Ross - the Telestar TD 2100 HD.
This has a different front panel to the Telsky S 220 but the back is the
same, and the quoted hardware version for the latest firmware update is
the same as for the Ross:

http://www.telestar.de/index381f.htm...DVB_S,de,9-273

Did you also see the Telestar 2200, which has the same
back-panel as the Telsky S230 and the Ross? Again,
it's not due out until August.

Thanks for that, I hadn't looked at the 2200 until now...

The manual is worth a look. I don't know if the
software will be compatible, but the CPU/memory specs
are the same. The photos of the new menus are
legible, unlike the PDFs of the other manuals.

As it happens, the photo of the system info menu (Bild 9-4) is clear
enough to show that the hardware version number is slightly different to
that of the Ross, so attempting to install the same firmware would be a
distinct gamble.

It
looks as if the channel list doesn't take up the whole
screen - you can see a picture behind. Still only 8
favourites, and with numbers, not categories. And
still also 4000 channels, despite the display
misleadingly showing "5000" !

It looks to be more than a simple revamping of the GUI...

Just for the fun of it, I've now installed the latest firmware for the
Telestar TD 2100 on the Ross receiver - version 1.0.7 dated 30/6/2010 -
overwriting the previously-installed Telsky firmware version 1.0.6.

Surprisingly, unlike the Ross - Telsky update, the Telsky - Telestar
update has preserved all of my satellite channel lists and settings,
saving a lot of work.

The 2200 appears to have a USB database backup and
restore.

Agreed - a feature we would both appreciate for the Ross, I'm sure.

Most significantly, this latest update seems to have completely cured
the intermittent glitching (Bildaussetzern) which affected most of the
German HD channels...

I've noticed some problems, usually just after
changing channels.

In my experience it was more than that. Thankfully it's all better now.

Incredibly, selecting channels using the number keys on the remote still
effectively disables timer recordings from standby, when the low power
standby mode is off...

Almost perfect...

Almost but not quite. It seems that the problem with the calendar not
updating at midnight with the box on low-power standby has also now been
resolved, so that next-day timer recordings should work in this mode as
well as with the normal standby - something I'll test in the early hours
of tomorrow morning...

--
John L

Old August 1st 10, 07:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Legon

I wrote:

It seems that the problem with the calendar not
updating at midnight with the box on low-power standby has also now been
resolved, so that next-day timer recordings should work in this mode as
well as with the normal standby - something I'll test in the early hours
of tomorrow morning...

Nope, over-night recordings still require the box to be set to normal
standby - the power consumption then being about 12 watts as against less
than 1 watt. This morning's timer recording of les émissions nocturnes
sur 9 Live, von 01:00 bis 05:00 Uhr BST, was successful

I think my low-power tests only worked because I was setting the system
clock to just before midnight with the timer set to just after midnight,
to avoid having to wait for midnight in real time. Then putting the box
on lower-power standby, the charge remaining in the PSU was apparently
sufficient to keep the calendar chip/function running for long enough to
update the date at midnight...

--
John L