Humax PVR-9200T - new software

Old June 9th 10, 11:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

Default Humax PVR-9200T - new software

On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 18:16:46 +0100, Peter Duncanson
wrote:

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 12:07:43 +0100, "Max Demian"
wrote:

A new version of software (1.00.23) is available for OTA download on the
Humax PVR-9200T until 9am this Friday.

It fixes the problem of slow response to commands from the remote and front
panel which many people have experienced since the last major retune
(30.09.09).

Also, the EPG is saved to HDD when you switch to standby, and reloads it in
about half a minute when you switch out of standby, which is useful.
(Initial loading of the EPG takes quite a long time - an hour or so - but
this doesn't matter as you only have to do it once unless the box crashes.)

I've just used the Humax PVR-9200T USB connection to transfer 3 recorded
programmes to a PC. The files were 1591 MB, 2279 MB and 1962 MB. These
transfers went without a single error and therefore no need to repeat.

This has never happened before. I normally have to split files into 400
to 500 MB chunks and transfer those individually usually with two
attempts at each.

I've copied another three files totalling 5193 MB without any error. In
the middle of this the 9200T recorded a programme. This is very
different from how it used to be.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old June 9th 10, 11:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian

In message , Peter Duncanson
writes
On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 19:56:34 +0100, "Jeff Layman"
wrote:

"Max Demian" wrote in message
A new version of software (1.00.23) is available for OTA download on the
Humax PVR-9200T until 9am this Friday.

It fixes the problem of slow response to commands from the remote and
front panel which many people have experienced since the last major retune
(30.09.09).

Also, the EPG is saved to HDD when you switch to standby, and reloads it
in about half a minute when you switch out of standby, which is useful.
(Initial loading of the EPG takes quite a long time - an hour or so - but
this doesn't matter as you only have to do it once unless the box
crashes.)

Anyone else get this notice at the end of the Update?

Notice
Expected Date 01:00:00, 01/01/2013 for 11:59:50
Network change notification; enhanced network
configuration; Version 2.0 Network change notification;
enhanced network configuration; Version 2.0
OK

I didn't notice anything like that.

Is it the final dso date for your area?
--
Ian
Old June 10th 10, 06:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dr Zoidberg

"Max Demian" wrote in message
A new version of software (1.00.23) is available for OTA download on the
Humax PVR-9200T until 9am this Friday.

Mine had it installed over night.
No problems so far....

Alex

Old June 10th 10, 09:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

wrote:

[...]

An important point is that the reason for errors in these file transfers
was that the 9200T would go slow and then hang up while doing a
transfer. There would be no response to the remote, not just slow
response, and the time display would freeze. It was necessary to power
cycle the box to get it working again.

Since the software update I have transferred files without any freezing
of the box. I estimate that before the update the box would have frosen
20 to 30 times while trying to transfer that volume of data.

This is looking good.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old June 10th 10, 09:05 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_2_]

"Peter Duncanson" wrote in message

I normally have to split files into 400
to 500 MB chunks and transfer those individually usually with two
attempts at each.

That's interesting, Peter. How do you do that? I didn't know you could
edit the files while they are in the 9200.

Also, what software are you using on the PC to do the transfer?

SteveT
Old June 10th 10, 09:09 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_2_]

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message

Why does it take so long tobuild the program guide though.

Bearing in mind it's on the hard disk, it could - to all intents and
purposes - be immediate. This is the case with my FoxSat HD-R.

I wonder if they are deliberately trickling it off the hard disk to reduce
processor and I/O loading, which suggests the processor is almost maxed out
even in normal running.

Just a theory (and not a very convincing one) - I can't think of any other
reason.

SteveT

Old June 10th 10, 10:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 10:05:29 +0100, "Steve Thackery"
wrote:

"Peter Duncanson" wrote in message
.. .

I normally have to split files into 400
to 500 MB chunks and transfer those individually usually with two
attempts at each.

That's interesting, Peter. How do you do that? I didn't know you could
edit the files while they are in the 9200.

RTFM! ;-)

Menu Record Recorded Programme

That will display a list of recorded programmes. Scroll to highlight the
programme you want to split, press Yellow (Edit), then select Trim.

The programme starts playing with a time bar at the bottom of the
screen. Select the point at which you want to split the recording using
the left and right arrows, press the Record button then the Stop button.
A pop-up will ask "Do you want to split this file?". Select Yes (or No).

Other edits are possible but I haven't tried them.

Also, what software are you using on the PC to do the transfer?

I use the Humax PVR9200T Media Controller by Andy Chappell:
http://www.enigma.eclipse.co.uk/huma...Controller.htm

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old June 10th 10, 10:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
MarkU

Jeff Layman wrote:
"Max Demian" wrote in message
[...]

I'm on the Mendip transmitter. I got a different message about
DSO in my area in September 2011. Mendip went through DSO in
April. However, I know there is final re-tune required in Autumn
next year to complete the switch over[1] so it kind of makes
sense.

[1] We still have 3 muxes at low power using 2k coding.

--
Mark

Old June 10th 10, 10:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

It's Meridian region. DSO 2012, according to http://www.digitaluk.co.uk

--

Jeff

Old June 10th 10, 10:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_2_]

"Peter Duncanson" wrote in message

That will display a list of recorded programmes. Scroll to highlight the
programme you want to split, press Yellow (Edit), then select Trim.

You know, I've had a 9200 since they came out and - now that you mention
it - I remember doing that. But honestly, it's so long since I've done that
I'd completely forgotten all about it!

I use the Humax PVR9200T Media Controller by Andy Chappell:
http://www.enigma.eclipse.co.uk/huma...Controller.htm

Ah yes, that's the one I'm using. I have to say that I've never had a
problem transferring files over USB using that software, even before .23 was
released.

Thanks for the reminder about editing facilities. :-)

STeveT