Slow Humax PVR 9200

Old March 25th 10, 01:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ivan

Default Slow Humax PVR 9200

When I upgraded my Humax PVR 9200 (to a PVR 9300) I passed it on to my son
and it has worked fine until a couple of days before the DSO here in the
West region, since when it has now become so slow as to be virtually
unusable, I appreciate that this isn't a new or unknown problem with this
model, however does anyone know if there is a fix now available, or if there
will be one arriving in the not too distant future. TIA

Old March 25th 10, 01:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
WCZ[_2_]

"Ivan" wrote in message
news
When I upgraded my Humax PVR 9200 (to a PVR 9300) I passed it on to my son
and it has worked fine until a couple of days before the DSO here in the
West region, since when it has now become so slow as to be virtually
unusable, I appreciate that this isn't a new or unknown problem with this
model, however does anyone know if there is a fix now available, or if
there will be one arriving in the not too distant future. TIA

There is supposed to be a fix for the 9200 being trialled by a few select
owners. That was a few weeks ago though. Apparently it fixes the problem
but there has been no announcement of when it'll be released.

--

WildCardZero

Old March 25th 10, 01:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul S[_2_]

"Ivan" wrote in message
news
When I upgraded my Humax PVR 9200 (to a PVR 9300) I passed it on to my son
and it has worked fine until a couple of days before the DSO here in the
West region, since when it has now become so slow as to be virtually
unusable, I appreciate that this isn't a new or unknown problem with this
model, however does anyone know if there is a fix now available, or if
there will be one arriving in the not too distant future. TIA

IIRC correctly the transition during DSO is quite problematic as the unit
has to handle both 2k & 8k modes. This causes it to be very slow and will be
fixed (returning to previous semi-slow mode) once all the muxes are using 8k

--
Paul S

Old March 25th 10, 02:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dickie mint

Ivan wrote:
When I upgraded my Humax PVR 9200 (to a PVR 9300) I passed it on to my
son and it has worked fine until a couple of days before the DSO here in
the West region, since when it has now become so slow as to be virtually
unusable, I appreciate that this isn't a new or unknown problem with
this model, however does anyone know if there is a fix now available, or
if there will be one arriving in the not too distant future. TIA

The only thing you can do short of a triallist or Humax insider posting,
is to keep an eye on DTG#s download webpage :
http://www.dtg.org.uk/industry/download_schedule.php

Richard
Old March 25th 10, 02:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_2_]

Interestingly it only affects some people, depending on which transmitter
they use.

Mine is so slow - especially after some use - that it is almost unusable.
It's been like this for a few months now, and I'm utterly amazed it has
taken so long to get a fix out.

Another place worth monitoring is:

http://www.hummy.org.uk/forums/index.php?

Sorry the news isn't any better.

SteveT

Old March 25th 10, 03:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D.Smith[_2_]

Ivan" wrote in message
news
When I upgraded my Humax PVR 9200 (to a PVR 9300) I passed it on to my son
and it has worked fine until a couple of days before the DSO here in the
West region, since when it has now become so slow as to be virtually
unusable, I appreciate that this isn't a new or unknown problem with this
model, however does anyone know if there is a fix now available, or if
there will be one arriving in the not too distant future. TIA

Welcome to the club! Mine is not only slow, but has recently started
locking up completely, despite resetting to defaults. No indication of any
disk faults or similar, it just freezes, bizarrely sometimes with the clock
happily updating.

Paul "Disgruntled of N.London" DS.

Old March 25th 10, 03:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ivan

"Ivan" wrote in message
news
When I upgraded my Humax PVR 9200 (to a PVR 9300) I passed it on to my son
and it has worked fine UNTIL a couple of days before the DSO here in the
West region, since when it has now become so slow as to be virtually
unusable, I appreciate that this isn't a new or unknown problem with this
model, however does anyone know if there is a fix now available, or if
there will be one arriving in the not too distant future. TIA

Thanks to everyone for their quick response and helpful replies, I've told
him to delete all of the channels that he doesn't watch and see if things
improve after the 7th of April, when Mendip goes fully digital, however it
does seem odd that he reckons the problem started about two days 'before'
DSO, might they have started to upgrade the transmissions to 8K prior to the
official launch date?

Old March 25th 10, 05:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_2_]

"Paul S" PAULatSONIFEXdotCOdotUK wrote in message

IIRC correctly the transition during DSO is quite problematic as the unit
has to handle both 2k & 8k modes.

But haven't most of them been handling both 2k and 8k modes for years?

SteveT

Old March 25th 10, 05:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 18:24:49 -0000, "Steve Thackery"
wrote:

"Paul S" PAULatSONIFEXdotCOdotUK wrote in message

IIRC correctly the transition during DSO is quite problematic as the unit
has to handle both 2k & 8k modes.

But haven't most of them been handling both 2k and 8k modes for years?

I don't think so. AFAIK all UK DTT transmissions used a 2k carrier prior
to DSO. Some multiplexes used 16QAM modulation and others used 64QAM.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old March 25th 10, 06:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_2_]

"Peter Duncanson" wrote in message

I don't think so. AFAIK all UK DTT transmissions used a 2k carrier prior
to DSO. Some multiplexes used 16QAM modulation and others used 64QAM.

Ah, thank you! I bet that is what I was getting it mixed up with.

I understand about QAM, but what does the 2k and 8k refer to?

SteveT