Disabling Unused Analogue TV Tuners - Samsung

Old February 26th 10, 09:12 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Disabling Unused Analogue TV Tuners - Samsung

Reading all this makes me wonder how long it will be before we see pirate
analogue tv all over the place in the same way we see the fm band foll of
them now.

Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Bigguy" wrote in message
On 25/02/2010 11:08, Adrian C wrote:
Friends have just bought a new Samsung LCD television. (Series 4,
LE32B450). Nice picture.

I've noticed a little problem with it's builtin tuner setup.

It has both analogue and digitial tuners arranged so that if ye press
"1" for BBC1 you first get the digital (DTV) BBC service, and then if ye
press "1" a second time, you get the analogue (ATV) BBC service.
Sometimes it's showing ATV first, and then DTV. I couldn't stay long
enough to work out the exact finite state diagram of button events, but
what is evident is that this TV is going to spend most of its life
forever switching between DTV and ATV.

I tried purposely detuning all the ATV channels only to have them
replaced with 'snow' noise. Not a great experience for the user to
occasionally view, looks like the set or aerial is broken...

And then of course, after DSO (here, London 2012), there will be noise
on _all_ ATV channels and the user is regulary going to see this when
directly punching in channel numbers.

So I phoned up Samsung. Nice switched-on Romanian lady answered ...

Me. "Can I disable the analogue tuner? I don't need it."

Her. "No"

Me. "Why not?"

Her. "We provide it for compatibility with equipment like VCR's and CCTV"

Me. "Workaround?"

Her. "Get them to select a digital channel, then use the channel list
menu and use the up/down buttons to choose, and the middle button to
select."

Me. "Ahh... That's soooo slow :-("

I don't think this has been thought out correctly :-(

Solder a 75R resistor (or a dead short) across a BL aerial plug and bung
up the RF input with it; this should stop the 'snow'.

Some TVs allow you to delete analogue channels from the list; delete the
lot...

It would be nice if you could disable the analogue tuner in firmware ;-)

Old February 26th 10, 09:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Ivan wrote:
Also, I have an older LCD telly in my den, which although HD compatible
only has an analogue tuner, it's is connected to a HD Freesat receiver
via HDMI, which unlike the SCART Inputs doesn't automatically kick in
when I switch on the STB, this means having to enter a 'Source' menu on
the TV remote every time I switch on and then select the HDMI input,
otherwise I'm just left with a default analogue screen full of snow,
easy enough for me, but because of the lack of a little bit of
straightforward thinking on the part of the manufacturers, an added and
unnecessary amount of hassle and confusion for the elderly and
technophobes.

Yes - the HDMI input on my telly is the only one - out of thousands ;-) -
it doesn't auto sense. It's also right at the opposite end of the menu
from my most used input and I'm wearing out my finger. ;-)

--
*Stable Relationships Are For Horses.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old February 26th 10, 09:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Reading all this makes me wonder how long it will be before we see
pirate analogue tv all over the place in the same way we see the fm
band foll of them now.

Given most commercial stations are losing money, I doubt it. ;-)

--
*I like cats, too. Let's exchange recipes.

Old February 26th 10, 10:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

Her. "Get them to select a digital channel, then use the channel list
menu and use the up/down buttons to choose, and the middle button to
select."

Me. "Ahh... That's soooo slow :-("

I don't think this has been thought out correctly :-(

Solder a 75R resistor (or a dead short) across a BL aerial plug and bung
up the RF input with it; this should stop the 'snow'.

Just -how- does it stop that then?....

Some TVs allow you to delete analogue channels from the list; delete the
lot...

It would be nice if you could disable the analogue tuner in firmware ;-)

Tony Sayer

Old February 26th 10, 10:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Brian Gaff
scribeth thus
Reading all this makes me wonder how long it will be before we see pirate
analogue tv all over the place in the same way we see the fm band foll of
them now.

Brian

Practicalities Brian..

TX power and aerial heights required for a start. And as people have
directional receive aerials they've got to be located in the -right-
places..

And as most all can't tune their telly's anyway thats that to consider..

VHF/FM Radio is so much simpler. Thats why they do it...
--
Tony Sayer

Old February 26th 10, 10:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ivan

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Ivan wrote:
Also, I have an older LCD telly in my den, which although HD compatible
only has an analogue tuner, it's is connected to a HD Freesat receiver
via HDMI, which unlike the SCART Inputs doesn't automatically kick in
when I switch on the STB, this means having to enter a 'Source' menu on
the TV remote every time I switch on and then select the HDMI input,
otherwise I'm just left with a default analogue screen full of snow,
easy enough for me, but because of the lack of a little bit of
straightforward thinking on the part of the manufacturers, an added and
unnecessary amount of hassle and confusion for the elderly and
technophobes.

Yes - the HDMI input on my telly is the only one - out of thousands ;-) -
it doesn't auto sense. It's also right at the opposite end of the menu
from my most used input and I'm wearing out my finger. ;-)

The same with my TV, out of about eight different inputs the 'TV' is at the
top of the list and the 'HDMI' one is at the bottom, although by switching
backwards it does it in one go.
A few months ago I had to set up a cheap (Argos special) LCD TV for an
elderly relative, in this case the only external input required was for a
DVD which caused confusion when selecting the correct input, out of the
choice of several, the problem was easily solved however, because despite
its low cost, it was possible to (individually) disable all of the
un-required inputs in the main menu, which then left him with the choice of
a single click for the DVD or inbuilt Freeview TV, why can't they all be
like that?
Another sensible design from years ago, in the early days of SCART, was a
Hitachi TV which boasted the very sensible function of being able to assign
RGB or Composite input from the SCART to any TV channel number on the remote
control, which meant that say a Freeview box, could be properly operated in
RGB mode, merely by pressing a button of choice i.e. programme six.

Old February 26th 10, 11:13 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike[_8_]

On Feb 25, 11:08*am, Adrian C wrote:
[...]

Just for info I don't have this problem with my Samsung Plasma. To get
to Analogue Channels I have to hit DTV on the remote and it switched
between tuners then.
Old February 26th 10, 11:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim

Ivan wrote:
Also, I have an older LCD telly in my den, which although HD compatible
only has an analogue tuner, it's is connected to a HD Freesat receiver
via HDMI, which unlike the SCART Inputs doesn't automatically kick in
when I switch on the STB, this means having to enter a 'Source' menu on
the TV remote every time I switch on and then select the HDMI input,
otherwise I'm just left with a default analogue screen full of snow,
easy enough for me, but because of the lack of a little bit of
straightforward thinking on the part of the manufacturers, an added and
unnecessary amount of hassle and confusion for the elderly and
technophobes.

Yes - the HDMI input on my telly is the only one - out of thousands ;-) -
it doesn't auto sense. It's also right at the opposite end of the menu
from my most used input and I'm wearing out my finger. ;-)

I had this problem with my Panasonic until I discovered that through the
setup it's possible to hide all the unused inputs. Any chance it might be
possible on yours?

Tim

Old February 26th 10, 12:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Feb 26, 11:04*am, tony sayer wrote:
Her. "Get them to select a digital channel, then use the channel list
menu and use the up/down buttons to choose, and the middle button to
select."

Me. "Ahh... That's soooo slow :-("

I don't think this has been thought out correctly :-(

Solder a 75R resistor (or a dead short) across a BL aerial plug and bung
up the RF input with it; this should stop the 'snow'.

Just -how- does it stop that then?....

He's joking. Isn't he? Now I'm not so sure.

Old February 26th 10, 12:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Tim wrote:
Yes - the HDMI input on my telly is the only one - out of thousands
;-) - it doesn't auto sense. It's also right at the opposite end of
the menu from my most used input and I'm wearing out my finger. ;-)

I had this problem with my Panasonic until I discovered that through the
setup it's possible to hide all the unused inputs. Any chance it might
be possible on yours?

Most of them are used, though.

--
*A dog gave birth to puppies near the road and was cited for littering*