LCD TV Repair Question

Old February 17th 09, 10:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

Default LCD TV Repair Question

Hi
I have an Acoustic Solutions 32" HD ready LCD TV. What the problem
is,
is that when i try to power on the television, sometimes the
television will power on and work fine however more often when i
attempt to power on the television the stand-by light turns off (as
if
it is turning on) then it will come back on and the television stays
off.
Can anyone tell me what is the problem, how much would it cost to
repair and if i decided to sell it for spares and repairs how much
should i be asking for?
Thanks
Joe
Old February 17th 09, 11:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Feb 17, 11:48*am, wrote:
Hi
I have an Acoustic Solutions 32" HD ready LCD TV. What the problem
is,
is that when i try to power on the television, sometimes the
television will power on and work fine however more often when i
attempt to power on the television the stand-by light turns off (as
if
it is turning on) then it will come back on and the television stays
off.
Can anyone tell me what is the problem, how much would it cost to
repair and if i decided to sell it for spares and repairs how much
should i be asking for?
Thanks
Joe

I had almost the exact same issue with a Panasonic 32inch TV. Its
within warranty, so its currently with Dixon's for repair - not sure
what they will make of it as it is by its nature an intermittent
problem.

For what its worth, when speaking with the "techguys" (:-0 ) on the
phone, they intimated that the blinking standby light was likely to be
an indication of a failing power supply unit within the TV, and they
therefore sent an engineer out with one in his van.

Unfortunately, the guy that turned up appeared to be a lazy so-and-so
and (as he couldn't reproduce the fault) he told my wife "i'll just
tell them it is completely dead, and they'll give you vouchers". What
I suspect he did then was just book it in with their maintenance guys
as they took it away and its now awaiting an engineers inspection.

I think the sequence of flashing lights is the key. How many does it
do? And what is the likely warranty situation with the TV?

If it is just a PSU failure, a local TV repair shop might be able to
try to solve it for you for substantially less than buying a new 32
inch TV.

Matt
Old February 17th 09, 11:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On 17 Feb, 12:02, wrote:
On Feb 17, 11:48�am, wrote:

[...]

Hi thanks for the reply.
Theyre is no flashing but then again theyre is no flashing when it
turns on.
What price do you think i would be looking at to repair?
I rang a firm up which said for inspection it would be �60 per half
hour so i said no
Old February 17th 09, 11:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On 17 Feb, 12:02, wrote:
On Feb 17, 11:48�am, wrote:

[...]

oh and its out of warranty by 6 months
Old February 17th 09, 03:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David

"Kellerman" "kellerman snot wrote in message news:-POdna7-HeF-

Ah! It's an Argos brand name special isn't it?
Availability of repair information if the fault turns out to anything
above an obvious component failure will be poor to non-existent then.
My best guess would be that the capacitors in the power supply have
failed. If it's just that then you might get it done for 60 to 100.

Argos well a visit to the manager, or better still write/e-mail Argos
customer service to say the Tv failed when just out of warranty etc. ( Hope
you still got receipt though.)

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Old February 17th 09, 03:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
aiden

snip

I read somewhere a story of someone taking a retailer to the small
claims court over a faulty cordless phone that packed up after the
warranty expired. The manual said the phone "should provide you with
many years service", the judge agreed.

Not that we've ever tested it, but rumour has it that Electrical Goods
do in fact have a 5 year warranty.

We had a pepper pot replaced under a 10 year guarantee (no, not an
electric one) when HI dropped it and it broke 9.5 years after we
bought it. Customer Services at the company were so impressed by her
cheek and honesty - she did tell them she'd dropped it - they even
sent a matching salt cellar, as they no longer produced the original
style. Service or what?!
Old February 17th 09, 04:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
aiden

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 16:49:43 +0000, CD wrote:

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 16:37:46 +0000, aiden
wrote:
.
Not that we've ever tested it, but rumour has it that Electrical Goods
do in fact have a 5 year warranty.

It all boils down to the "reasonable" bit, 18 months is not reasonable
for a telly, but could be be for something else non electrical.

In the good old days you didn't need a warranty - our 26" Philips CRT
lasted 20 years - had to take it to the tip eventually - never any
trouble. Mind you you could eat out, get a packet of Weights, four
pints of Watneys Red Barrel and still come home with change from a
florin! Sigh!
Old February 17th 09, 04:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David

"aiden" wrote in message
In the good old days you didn't need a warranty - our 26" Philips CRT
lasted 20 years - had to take it to the tip eventually - never any
trouble.

Wow.
Must be a record. Just not my experience.

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group