LCD TV Repair Question

Old February 17th 09, 04:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian

Default LCD TV Repair Question

David wrote:
"aiden" wrote in message
In the good old days you didn't need a warranty - our 26" Philips CRT
lasted 20 years - had to take it to the tip eventually - never any
trouble.

Wow.
Must be a record. Just not my experience.

I had a Philips (KT3 chasis) that lasted 27 years.
--
There's probably no god, so stop worrying and enjoy your life.

Old February 17th 09, 05:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_2_]

aiden wrote:
On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 16:49:43 +0000, CD wrote:

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 16:37:46 +0000, aiden
wrote:
.
Not that we've ever tested it, but rumour has it that Electrical
Goods do in fact have a 5 year warranty.

It all boils down to the "reasonable" bit, 18 months is not
reasonable for a telly, but could be be for something else non
electrical.

In the good old days you didn't need a warranty - our 26" Philips CRT
lasted 20 years - had to take it to the tip eventually - never any
trouble. Mind you you could eat out, get a packet of Weights, four
pints of Watneys Red Barrel and still come home with change from a
florin! Sigh!

'Arf a Crown surely. Things were never _that_ cheap.

Anyway, you give yourself away, junior! No-one ever said 'florin'. It was
always two bob.

Old February 17th 09, 05:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_4_]

"David" wrote in message

"aiden" wrote in message
In the good old days you didn't need a warranty - our 26" Philips CRT
lasted 20 years - had to take it to the tip eventually - never any
trouble.

Wow.
Must be a record. Just not my experience.

--

No it isn't. I've had three Philips CRT TVs that have lasted 20 years -
my father-in-law is still using one that I know for a fact is 23 years

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old February 17th 09, 05:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

In article ,
Norman Wells wrote:

Anyway, you give yourself away, junior! No-one ever said 'florin'.

Unless they were Dutch - like the man my cousin married.

It was always two bob.

anyhow, it had 'florin' written on it.

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

Old February 17th 09, 05:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_4_]

"Adrian" wrote in message
David wrote:
"aiden" wrote in message
In the good old days you didn't need a warranty - our 26" Philips
CRT
lasted 20 years - had to take it to the tip eventually - never any
trouble.

Wow.
Must be a record. Just not my experience.

I had a Philips (KT3 chasis) that lasted 27 years.
--

Damn, mine gave up (or rather I gave it up because of problems with the
mechanical tuner buttons) at 24 years and I thought that had done well!

Old February 17th 09, 05:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_4_]

"David" wrote in message

"Kellerman" "kellerman snot wrote in message news:-POdna7-HeF-

Ah! It's an Argos brand name special isn't it?
Availability of repair information if the fault turns out to anything
above an obvious component failure will be poor to non-existent then.
My best guess would be that the capacitors in the power supply have
failed. If it's just that then you might get it done for £60 to £100.

Argos well a visit to the manager, or better still write/e-mail Argos
customer service to say the Tv failed when just out of warranty etc.
( Hope you still got receipt though.)

--

Forget repair. I bought two 15" Ac. Sol. LCD TV's with DVD, one for us
and one for a colleague. Ours is still going after nearly 3 years, the

Old February 17th 09, 08:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_2_]

In article , Sam wrote:
If it's the power supply, it'll probably just be the capacitors which
are knackered and can be easily replaced if you have a soldering iron,
solder sucker, some solder, and some new capacitors from somewhere like
rswww.com - Rubycon caps are very well regarded. The cost for just the
capacitors would probably be maybe 10 quid including postage, so if you
can borrow the iron+sucker+solder from someone then you'll be sorted.

There's no guarantee it will be the capacitors, or any capacitor at all.
Guessing what type of component has failed and replacing *all* of them in
the hope of including by pure chance the one that has actually failed (if
it even is a capacitor that has failed) is a crazy approach that will
probably cause more trouble than it solves. It's a bit like replacing all
the nuts and bolts in your car to cure a rattling noise. If you can't
find somebody who can diagnose the fault properly I'd suggest it will be
cheaper, safer, and less labour-intensive to replace the equipment.
That's what everybody does nowadays, because equipment is cheaper than
clever people.

Virtual Access V6.3 free usenet/email software from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtual-access/

Old February 17th 09, 08:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Terry Casey[_2_]

charles wrote:
In article ,
Norman Wells wrote:

Anyway, you give yourself away, junior! No-one ever said 'florin'.

Unless they were Dutch - like the man my cousin married.

Godverdomme!
Old February 17th 09, 09:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Terry Casey[_2_]

Norman Wells wrote:
aiden wrote:
On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 16:49:43 +0000, CD wrote:

In the good old days you didn't need a warranty - our 26" Philips CRT
lasted 20 years - had to take it to the tip eventually - never any
trouble. Mind you you could eat out, get a packet of Weights, four
pints of Watneys Red Barrel and still come home with change from a
florin! Sigh!

'Arf a Crown surely. Things were never _that_ cheap.

Hmm! Interesting!

Colour started in 1967 with, mainly, 25" tubes. (Baird did one with a
smaller tube - 19"? 20"? - can't remember.)

Largest B&W CRT at the time was 24" IIRC.

Dunno when 26" tubes were first used, though - presumably we're talking
colour here?

Grotneys Red Barrel would have been around 2/- at the time - more in
some places.

I remember Weights being 1/5½ for 10 around 1955. In 1961, Players were
4/10 for 20 - not that I was that affluent in those days but I recall
that, on a visit to the Irish Republic, we found they were a whole
shilling cheaper per pack!

SWBMO reckons that Players No 6 (the ones with them 'orrible tips on)
were 3/6 for 10 in 1967.

The 'arf crown was with withdrawn in 1969 because of the impending
change to Mickey Mouse money (on 15th February 1971).

The first pint I bought on D-Day cost 13½NP (2/8)

Anyway, you give yourself away, junior! No-one ever said 'florin'.
It was always two bob.

I think that the pot is calling the kettle black here!

Either you're both at least 120 years old or you're suffering from
delusions ...

Oh! Some people did refer to the Florin, by the way! I can tell you a
story about that, if anyone's interested ...........

Terry
Old February 18th 09, 06:09 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
aiden

snip

Oh! Some people did refer to the Florin, by the way! I can tell you a
story about that, if anyone's interested ...........

Terry

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........................

Oh, go on then - but please ensure it is completly factually accurate
and whatever else,is in grammatically correct written Queen's English,
like what she does everyday.