Progressive Scan DVD Players

Old July 28th 03, 10:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

Default Progressive Scan DVD Players

Keith Bailey wrote:

I have a Hitachi TV which offers progressive scan & I use this for
displaying normal TV broadcasts froma Freeview box. I know that this is
really no more than a field store but it does improve the perceived
vertical resolution.

Does anyone have any first hand experience of a progressive scan DVD
player in the UK on PAL connected to a display device such as a
projector or plasma where any improvement would be most noticeable.

Head to your local Safeway and pick up the Compacks unit for about 60.
Seriously. It's region free, plays MP3, raw MPEG 1 & 2, has progressive
PAL and NTSC and for the money it's an absolute steal. If you don't like
it, keep the receipt and take it back. Unless you want to spend 700
you won't find a better machine.

The difference on my plasma set was like night and day from my old Pioneer.

Lee.
--
Editor, DVD Debate
http://www.dvddebate.com

Upset motorists: remember, motorways offer a hard shoulder to cry on.

Old July 28th 03, 09:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 20:15:01 +0100, Keith Bailey
wrote:

Thanks. You are the only person who has replied who has actually tried
it. That is my point. Thanks for the input. I am thinking about a
projector so I want the best playback at a reasonable price so that it
doesn't look crap when you blow it up to 6ft.

I can't say for certain, as I've only tried it on a plasma, but a
friend uses component video to a projector and the results are
stunning.

I think you are bit out of date regarding progressive players. There are
several available for less than 300 (HK DVD2550, Sony DVP-NS930 which
CLAIM to offer PAL Progressive.

Sony? :/ Wouldn't touch them, not for that money. If you're going to
go for a non name brand like the HK then you might as well go for the
Compacks. If you're not going cheap, you need to spend quite a bit
more than 300.

The heapo cheapo Compacks sounds interesting but exceedingly cheap.
What's the catch?

Rather remarkably, there isn't one. It'll cost you nothing to find
out: why not pop over to Safeway and try one?

Lee.
--
Editor, DVD Debate
http://www.dvddebate.com

Is the owner of Hotpoint a Fridge Magnate?
Old July 30th 03, 09:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
One2Go

Keith Bailey wrote in
:

Lee,

You are right. Nothing to lose so with Safeway so I'll have a look.

Interested in your comments about Sony - why do you think they are no
good? I thought they had a fairly good name.

WRT to HK that's Harmon Kardon. Always thought that was a well known
brand as well.

Home Cinema Heaven (amongst others) are offering 4 ps DVD players, all
well known brands, for under 300 quid. Don't know if they all do PAL
progressive, though.

In article , "[email protected]"
writes
wrote:

[...]

From all the trade journals that I have read Richer Sounds own brand
Cambridge Audio DVD55 (Multi-region) can be had for 150 and a bit more for
the SACD version DVD57. Both received 5 star rating with Home Cinema and
other journals. It has component video out and NTSC/PAL progressive scan. I
am in the same boat looking for a new display and DVD payer that will do
component video output and progressive scan.

One2Go
Old July 30th 03, 04:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Keith Bailey

Thanks for the info. Worth a look.

Tried Google but not much info out there. Although it is supposed to be
made by Cambridge Audio they don't own up to it on their web site.

Not sure about the progressive scan. Is it PAL progressive or NTSC
progressive?

In article , One2Go
writes
Keith Bailey wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

From all the trade journals that I have read Richer Sounds own brand

Old August 6th 03, 07:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
One2Go

Keith Bailey wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

From all the trade journals that I have read Richer Sounds own brand
Cambridge Audio DVD55 (Multi-region) can be had for 150 and a bit
more for the SACD version DVD57. Both received 5 star rating with Home
Cinema and other journals. It has component video out and NTSC/PAL
progressive scan. I am in the same boat looking for a new display and
DVD payer that will do component video output and progressive scan.

One2Go

The Cambridge Audio DVD players are made for Ticher Sounds and they all are
PAL and NTSC progressive scan.

One2Go