Vibrating Sky+ Box

Old December 16th 08, 09:13 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.sky
Ed[_2_]

Default Vibrating Sky+ Box

We recently got a new TV unit, and the Sky+ box is now not behind
glass, so the spinning hard disk is vaguely annoying, but not half as
much as when it decides to vibrate and buzzes loudly. Simply tapping
it gently stops the noise, but i can't be doing this regularly.

Has anyone else had such a problem and found a way around it?
Old December 16th 08, 09:21 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.sky
Abo

Ed wrote:
We recently got a new TV unit, and the Sky+ box is now not behind
glass, so the spinning hard disk is vaguely annoying, but not half as
much as when it decides to vibrate and buzzes loudly. Simply tapping
it gently stops the noise, but i can't be doing this regularly.

Has anyone else had such a problem and found a way around it?

Be cool if someone could suggest a fix for this, I've got the same
problem. If I tap it, the noise stops. Then it builds up slowly over
time until it becomes obvious again. Tap. Repeat...
Old December 16th 08, 09:29 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.sky
AC

"Ed" wrote in message

We recently got a new TV unit, and the Sky+ box is now not behind
glass, so the spinning hard disk is vaguely annoying, but not half as
much as when it decides to vibrate and buzzes loudly. Simply tapping
it gently stops the noise, but i can't be doing this regularly.

Has anyone else had such a problem and found a way around it?

Sounds like either a hard drive or fan with worn bearings, or dust in the
heatsink fouling the fan. I've had both in several PC's. If it is the dust
then I just open up the box and clean it out. If its bearing in the fan or
HD, then replace, put up with or wait for failure.

AC

Old December 16th 08, 09:41 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.sky
JR[_3_]

Ed wrote:
We recently got a new TV unit, and the Sky+ box is now not behind
glass, so the spinning hard disk is vaguely annoying, but not half as
much as when it decides to vibrate and buzzes loudly. Simply tapping
it gently stops the noise, but i can't be doing this regularly.

Has anyone else had such a problem and found a way around it?

Apart from vaccing the box as others have suggested, a couple of
mouse-mats placed underneath the box make fairly good dampers. Choose
the type with a hard plastic top & rubber underlay to maintain airflow.
Old December 16th 08, 10:44 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.sky
AC

"JR" wrote in message
Ed wrote:
We recently got a new TV unit, and the Sky+ box is now not behind
glass, so the spinning hard disk is vaguely annoying, but not half as
much as when it decides to vibrate and buzzes loudly. Simply tapping
it gently stops the noise, but i can't be doing this regularly.

Has anyone else had such a problem and found a way around it?

Apart from vaccing the box as others have suggested, a couple of
mouse-mats placed underneath the box make fairly good dampers. Choose the
type with a hard plastic top & rubber underlay to maintain airflow.

Great idea. You could cut up a mat to make little 'feet' (or shoes for the
box's feet!!). That would help with airflow.

The only sort of down side, is that the noise and vibration could point to a
soon to come failure, with hard disks and fans that could be a real mare.
Although, I do have one PC that has had a noisy PSU fan for years and it
still hasn't died.

Like the idea though

AC

Old December 16th 08, 11:13 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.sky
Mark A

I've mounted my Sky+ (and my GF's Sky+ box - both
Pace V3s) on four plastic pipe reducers. Lifts them off the
shelf about an inch and helps promote cooling underneath
as well as above and sides. Act as vibration dampers, too.

Even sprayed her's silver, but couldn't be arsed for mine;
white is good enough as is I reckon.

Regards

Mark

Old December 16th 08, 11:29 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.sky
RobertJM[_2_]

"Ed" wrote in message

We recently got a new TV unit, and the Sky+ box is now not behind
glass, so the spinning hard disk is vaguely annoying, but not half as
much as when it decides to vibrate and buzzes loudly. Simply tapping
it gently stops the noise, but i can't be doing this regularly.

Has anyone else had such a problem and found a way around it?

I stuck one of the wifes' ornaments on it....

--
Rob

Old December 16th 08, 11:35 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.sky
Ed[_2_]

On Dec 16, 12:13*pm, "Mark A" wrote:
I've mounted my Sky+ (and my GF's Sky+ box - both
Pace V3s) on four plastic pipe reducers. Lifts them off the
shelf about an inch and helps promote cooling underneath
as well as above and sides. Act as vibration dampers, too.

Even sprayed her's silver, but couldn't be arsed for mine;
white is good enough as is I reckon.

Regards

Mark

He he, he mounted his girlfriend's box and sprayed it!!!

Old December 16th 08, 11:45 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.sky
Dom Robinson[_3_]

On 16 Dec, 10:13, Ed wrote:
We recently got a new TV unit, and the Sky+ box is now not behind
glass, so the spinning hard disk is vaguely annoying, but not half as
much as when it decides to vibrate and buzzes loudly. Simply tapping
it gently stops the noise, but i can't be doing this regularly.

Has anyone else had such a problem and found a way around it?

As others have said it's the hard drive. I've got a big hard drive (oo-
er!) in my TiVo and it makes a little bit of noise from time to time,
although sometimes the tiniest of noises have been amplified late at
night simply due to the fact that I'm absolutely knackered.

However, one time I was playing a dreadful PS2 fighting game called
The Bouncer. The only time I got an enjoyment was when I put the
vibration to on, got into a heavy fight, and then stuffed the
controller down my pants