DOGs, Credits and Programme Info - BBC1 5pm today - Points of View

Old December 1st 08, 01:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive

Default DOGs, Credits and Programme Info - BBC1 5pm today - Points of View

On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 13:20:21 -0000, Roderick Stewart
wrote:

In article , Jim
wrote:
I noticed one programme recently where the credits
had been written on one half of the screen only,
leaving the other half free for programme info without
the need for shrinkage or overwriting. It seemed a
sensible arrangement. With luck, it will become more
common.

Do you really think it is a sensible arrangement for the programme
makers to compromise their artistic freedom in order to make it easier
for the broadcasters to vandalise their work? Seems more like
capitulation to me, and about as sensible as it would be for me to put
all my worldly goods out on the street and then shoot myself in order
save the next armed robber the trouble.

Totally agree, and often all it would probably achieve is the title
being compressed to a quarter of the screen width, I've seen that at
least once.
Old December 1st 08, 01:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

Why don't the programme makers run a phone-in competition with really good
prizes, which depends on the viewers' ability to read the credits. 'Spot the
famous name amongst the credits' or something.

Probably lose the contract, I suppose . . .

Old December 1st 08, 02:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Stephen Wolstenholme

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 14:35:19 -0000, "Bill Wright"
wrote:

Why don't the programme makers run a phone-in competition with really good
prizes, which depends on the viewers' ability to read the credits. 'Spot the
famous name amongst the credits' or something.

Probably lose the contract, I suppose . . .

Bill

They have already lost some viewers. I know I can't read the credits
so I don't even try. I have been know to switch channel while credits
are rolling and not bothering to switch back later.

Steve

--
Neural Planner Software Ltd http://www.NPSL1.com

Artificial neural networks applications.
Old December 1st 08, 02:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Sam Nelson

In article ,
"Bill Wright" writes:

Why don't the programme makers run a phone-in competition with really good
prizes, which depends on the viewers' ability to read the credits. 'Spot the
famous name amongst the credits' or something.

Probably lose the contract, I suppose . . .

It would probably be covered in produtcion guidelines that say a) that the
credits can't form part of the programme itself, and b) that the credits
have to be amenable to being deformed.
--
SAm.
Old December 1st 08, 06:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Edster" wrote in message
The programme makers aren't artists they are commercial organisations,
and they will do whatever they are told to do or they won't get any
more work.

It's the same for all of us dearie! They ask me to fix their Sky reception
and I do it of course, but I do it with a shudder! I sometimes say to
myself, 'Bill, you're no better than a common rent boy, because what you're
doing is you're prostituting your art!' It's terrible for artists like me,
you know! Terrible! No-one appreciates what I do! It's pearls before swine,
pearls before swine I tell you! I'm very highly strung! Very highly strung!
I should have more respect for what I do! I'm a cult I am! A proper cult!

Precious One

Old December 1st 08, 09:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_2_]

In article , Edster wrote:
I noticed one programme recently where the credits
had been written on one half of the screen only,
leaving the other half free for programme info without
the need for shrinkage or overwriting. It seemed a
sensible arrangement. With luck, it will become more
common.

Something I saw on channel 4 a while ago was a url for a website where
people could watch the closing credits in peace.

All we need now is another URL for a website where we can watch the
programme in peace too, and we can give up broadcast TV altogether.

In fact, I think this has already begun to happen. I wonder if any of
the broadcasters have noticed, and if any of them realise why it's
happening?

Virtual Access V6.3 free usenet/email software from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtual-access/

Old December 2nd 08, 05:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Roderick Stewart wrote:
In article , Edster wrote:
I noticed one programme recently where the credits
had been written on one half of the screen only,
leaving the other half free for programme info without
the need for shrinkage or overwriting. It seemed a
sensible arrangement. With luck, it will become more
common.

Something I saw on channel 4 a while ago was a url for a website where
people could watch the closing credits in peace.

All we need now is another URL for a website where we can watch the
programme in peace too, and we can give up broadcast TV altogether.

When I watch a film or programme on DVD, I instinctively reach for the
remote to reduce the volume, and I brace myself for a visual onslaught
the moment the end credits start to roll. Then I remember and relax again !

--
Mark
Old December 2nd 08, 08:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On 1 Dec, 14:25, Java Jive wrote:

Totally agree, and often all it would probably achieve is the title
being compressed to a quarter of the screen width, I've seen that at
least once.

It amazes me that the BBC mess with credits so much, but it amazes me
even more that they do it so badly.

The audio levels are usually wrong, on the 1/4 screen version there's
always a jump in the video, the timing of everything is frequently
off, and the whole things just looks really amateurish. It's like an 8
year old kid who got a cheap PC video editing package for Christmas.
It's embarrassing, as well a annoying. Makes the BBC channels feel
quite cheap.

Cheers,
David.
Old December 2nd 08, 09:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Light of Aria[_2_]

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in
message .myzen.co.uk...
In article , Edster wrote:
I noticed one programme recently where the credits
had been written on one half of the screen only,
leaving the other half free for programme info without
the need for shrinkage or overwriting. It seemed a
sensible arrangement. With luck, it will become more
common.

Something I saw on channel 4 a while ago was a url for a website where
people could watch the closing credits in peace.

All we need now is another URL for a website where we can watch the
programme in peace too, and we can give up broadcast TV altogether.

http://tvu.org.ru/

http://thepiratebay.org/

Basically, it delivers the same thing as broadcast television without the
DOG ****, ****inuity shouters, advertising whores, credit mutilations,
pop-ups, and transmission imperfections.