Channel 4 pulls out of DAB

Old October 10th 08, 11:28 AM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
DAB sounds worse than FM

Default Channel 4 pulls out of DAB

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008...channel4-radio

FM switch-off now put back to May 2038 - if all goes well.

Hehe.

The adoption of DAB was the most incompetent technical
decision ever made in the history of UK broadcasting:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/da...ion_of_dab.htm

Old October 10th 08, 11:39 AM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

In article ,
DAB sounds worse than FM [email protected] wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008...channel4-radio

FM switch-off now put back to May 2038 - if all goes well.

that should see me out and a bit more. But I might live to 98, you never
know.

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

Old October 10th 08, 06:11 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Richard Evans[_2_]

charles wrote:
In article ,
DAB sounds worse than FM [email protected] wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008...channel4-radio

FM switch-off now put back to May 2038 - if all goes well.

that should see me out and a bit more. But I might live to 98, you never
know.

I wouldn't worry.

If you live to 98 then your hearing will probably have deteriorated to
the point where you can not tell the difference between FM and DAB
anyway. (Or does that require total deafness )
Old October 11th 08, 12:03 AM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Richard Evans" wrote in message
If you live to 98 then your hearing will probably have deteriorated to the
point where you can not tell the difference between FM and DAB anyway. (Or
does that require total deafness )

Most people can't hear anything wrong with DAB.

Please read that again. I did not say there is nothing wrong with DAB. I am
all too aware of DAB's deficiencies.

I deal with the public. I talk to them about radio. The hard fact is that
the vast majority are completely unaware of the deficiencies of DAB as
caused by low bit rates. Yes, the sound grates on me, and it grates on you.
But for most people, if there isn't a loud whistling or buzzing in the
background, and if the sound doesn't keep fading out, everything is fine.
Ordinary people are remarkably unaware of poor audio quality, as long as
they can actually tell what the speaker is saying or discern the beat of the
tune. Go into a pub on quiz night. The PA is ridiculous, but nothing is done
because no-one is bothered.

Of course, this is not an argument in favour of low audio quality. The
broadcasters should aspire to the best possible audio quality, just as they
should aspire to the best possible programme material. This should be done
as a matter of principle, not as a matter of practicality. Standards have to
be maintained or they will be eroded. Statement of the bleedin' obvious.

The tragedy here is that those in broadcast (and outside it, hello Steve)
who lobby for better DAB audio have an uphill struggle, because the
beancounters can point to the lumpen masses and say, 'They're happy enough'.
It takes a determined and principled person (or lobby) to stand up against
this, and as far as I can see no such person (in a suitable post) exists.

Old October 11th 08, 12:21 AM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
The tragedy here is that those in broadcast (and outside it, hello
Steve) who lobby for better DAB audio have an uphill struggle, because
the beancounters can point to the lumpen masses and say, 'They're happy
enough'. It takes a determined and principled person (or lobby) to
stand up against this, and as far as I can see no such person (in a
suitable post) exists.

Pretty well no one was interested in DAB when the bitrates were high. I
was an early adopter because it was a way round my poor FM reception - and
at that time there weren't alternatives as today. It was only some time
after the choice of stations was increased that it got a reasonable take
up. Make of that as you will.

--
*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old October 11th 08, 03:05 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
DAB sounds worse than FM

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
The tragedy here is that those in broadcast (and outside it, hello
Steve) who lobby for better DAB audio have an uphill struggle,
because
the beancounters can point to the lumpen masses and say, 'They're
happy
enough'. It takes a determined and principled person (or lobby) to
stand up against this, and as far as I can see no such person (in a
suitable post) exists.

Pretty well no one was interested in DAB when the bitrates were
high.

This is the 2nd time you've said this in this thread.

When the DAB bit rates were higher, the minimum cost of a DAB receiver
was 300, and there had been no advertising.

It's hardly surprising that sales increased when the price dropped to
100 and the BBC was advertising the ******** off DAB on TV, is it?

Old October 12th 08, 11:59 AM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Richard Evans[_2_]

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Pretty well no one was interested in DAB when the bitrates were high. I
was an early adopter because it was a way round my poor FM reception - and
at that time there weren't alternatives as today. It was only some time
after the choice of stations was increased that it got a reasonable take
up. Make of that as you will.

Also the time when DAB started to sell, was around around about the time
that receiver prices became a lot lower, and also around about the time
when there were huge high profile advertising campaigns for DAB.

Richard E.

Old October 12th 08, 10:28 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 01:21:54 +0100, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

Pretty well no one was interested in DAB when the bitrates were high. I
was an early adopter because it was a way round my poor FM reception - and
at that time there weren't alternatives as today. It was only some time
after the choice of stations was increased that it got a reasonable take
up. Make of that as you will.

It's hardly a scientific conclusion to an experiment is it? This makes it
worthless, and thus a pointless post.

[I had a cold last week and the cat crapped on the grass. The cause of my
cold was the cat crapping on the grass. Yeah right. Plowman logic at work
there.]
Old October 11th 08, 06:55 AM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_4_]

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news

[...]

Bill

One comment made to me some years ago sums it all up really - 'we've got
a coloured television.' When I got to see it they were right - way too
bright, high contrast, far too much colour in fact the whole picture was
overall bright green - but it was 'coloured' and they were happy.

As we now know, any colour TV properly set up should look like a moving
colour slide. I once had the opportunity to look inside an active
'scanner' - an outside broadcast (BBC) mobile control room and it had a
rank of Sony Trinitron TV's as the monitors. I had never seen such
picture quality, and if I'm honest I don't think I've seen anything
significantly better since (ducks under flame-proof cover!)

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com