Digital TV Banter

Digital TV Banter (https://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/forum.php)
-   uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (https://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Channel 4 pulls out of DAB (https://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/showthread.php?t=24148)

DAB sounds worse than FM October 10th 08 11:28 AM

Channel 4 pulls out of DAB

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008...channel4-radio

FM switch-off now put back to May 2038 - if all goes well.

Hehe.

The adoption of DAB was the most incompetent technical
decision ever made in the history of UK broadcasting:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/da...ion_of_dab.htm

charles October 10th 08 11:39 AM

Channel 4 pulls out of DAB

In article ,
DAB sounds worse than FM [email protected] wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008...channel4-radio

FM switch-off now put back to May 2038 - if all goes well.

that should see me out and a bit more. But I might live to 98, you never
know.

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

Dave Plowman (News) October 10th 08 12:28 PM

Channel 4 pulls out of DAB

In article ,
DAB sounds worse than FM [email protected] wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008...channel4-radio

FM switch-off now put back to May 2038 - if all goes well.

Hehe.

Interesting slant you put on it - most would simply say CH4 have pulled
out of their proposed radio venture. And who could blame them given the
current circumstances? Although the idea they could provide a serious and
profitable alternative to R4 is somewhat of a joke.

As you never cease to point out there are plenty alternatives to DAB -
FreeView, satellite, on line. So therefore CH4 considers these non viable
too?

--
*A nest isn't empty until all their stuff is out of the attic

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Commander Gideon[_2_] October 10th 08 01:44 PM

Channel 4 pulls out of DAB

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
DAB sounds worse than FM [email protected] wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008...channel4-radio

FM switch-off now put back to May 2038 - if all goes well.

Hehe.

Interesting slant you put on it - most would simply say CH4 have pulled
out of their proposed radio venture. And who could blame them given the
current circumstances? Although the idea they could provide a serious and
profitable alternative to R4 is somewhat of a joke.

As you never cease to point out there are plenty alternatives to DAB -
FreeView, satellite, on line. So therefore CH4 considers these non viable
too?

It must be down to less advertising revenue being available!

Pete Cross October 10th 08 02:03 PM

Channel 4 pulls out of DAB

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
DAB sounds worse than FM [email protected] wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008...channel4-radio

FM switch-off now put back to May 2038 - if all goes well.

Hehe.

Interesting slant you put on it - most would simply say CH4 have
pulled out of their proposed radio venture. And who could blame them
given the current circumstances? Although the idea they could provide
a serious and profitable alternative to R4 is somewhat of a joke.

As you never cease to point out there are plenty alternatives to DAB
- FreeView, satellite, on line. So therefore CH4 considers these non
viable too?

They're saving 10million by ditching 15 jobs! are there any vacancies left ?
Pete

Silk October 10th 08 02:52 PM

Channel 4 pulls out of DAB

DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008...channel4-radio

FM switch-off now put back to May 2038 - if all goes well.

This is old news. It's already been mentioned on Guardian Radio... I
mean BBC 5Live.

Graham.[_2_] October 10th 08 03:37 PM

Channel 4 pulls out of DAB

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
DAB sounds worse than FM [email protected] wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008...channel4-radio

FM switch-off now put back to May 2038 - if all goes well.

Hehe.

Interesting slant you put on it - most would simply say CH4 have pulled
out of their proposed radio venture. And who could blame them given the
current circumstances? Although the idea they could provide a serious and
profitable alternative to R4 is somewhat of a joke.

As you never cease to point out there are plenty alternatives to DAB -
FreeView, satellite, on line. So therefore CH4 considers these non viable
too?

What this country is short of IMHO is a good rolling news service
on analogue radio.
I was foolish enough to think that that's what Radio 5 would
deliver, I couldn't have been more wrong.
And further back I seem to remember a suggestion
that R4 LW would carry such a service, I happen to think
that that is not such a bad idea.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Dave Plowman (News) October 10th 08 04:22 PM

Channel 4 pulls out of DAB

In article ,
Graham. wrote:
What this country is short of IMHO is a good rolling news service
on analogue radio.

Like LBC sort of used to?

I was foolish enough to think that that's what Radio 5 would
deliver, I couldn't have been more wrong.
And further back I seem to remember a suggestion
that R4 LW would carry such a service, I happen to think
that that is not such a bad idea.

Perhaps most go to TV for that sort of thing.

--
*It's a thankless job, but I've got a lot of Karma to burn off

Graham.[_2_] October 10th 08 05:10 PM

Channel 4 pulls out of DAB

Graham. wrote:
What this country is short of IMHO is a good rolling news service
on analogue radio.

Like LBC sort of used to?

I was foolish enough to think that that's what Radio 5 would
deliver, I couldn't have been more wrong.
And further back I seem to remember a suggestion
that R4 LW would carry such a service, I happen to think
that that is not such a bad idea.

Perhaps most go to TV for that sort of thing.

In the car?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Java Jive October 10th 08 05:29 PM

Channel 4 pulls out of DAB

Why not? You can give it your full attention now they've banned using
mobiles:-)
On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 18:10:41 +0100, "Graham." wrote:

In the car?