Channel 4 pulls out of DAB

Old October 11th 08, 12:22 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_2_]

Default Channel 4 pulls out of DAB

In article , SpamTrapSeeSig
wrote:
Quite frankly most stereo radio is wasted (for the reasons stated
previously), I would say that the only BBC radio station that benefits
from stereo is R3, the rest could put the freed up spectrum to better
use - or just not bother...

That applies even more so to TV.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, even if it's wrong.

Virtual Access V6.3 free usenet/email software from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtual-access/

Old October 11th 08, 12:31 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Agamemnon

"DAB sounds worse than FM" [email protected] wrote in message
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008...channel4-radio

FM switch-off now put back to May 2038 - if all goes well.

The will be no FM switch-off. How do they think Community Radio will be
broadcast on digital multiplexes which are anything but local and where is
the money going to come from for links to these multiplex up links?

DAB was doomed from the start. Now perhaps Ofcom will step in and close the
whole thing down and create a new system which is based on quality and open
broadcast standards, i.e., OGG Vorbis/AAC+HC at 64 kbps minimum requirement,
mp3 at no lower than 224 kbps, mp3 at no lower than 320kbps, and compulsory
5.1 surround compatible encoding on all BBC stations at bitrates of 192kbps
AAC/OGG Vorbis, over the air updates and upgrades of audio codecs so that
new more efficient ones can be introduced when developed, and the ability to
broadcast individual stations without the need to put them on a regional
multiplexes, and all Community Radio digital transmission costs to be met by
Ofcom from a levy on commercial radio and the BBC licence fee until the
price of equipment and links reaches affordable levels.

Hehe.

The adoption of DAB was the most incompetent technical
decision ever made in the history of UK broadcasting:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/da...ion_of_dab.htm

Old October 11th 08, 12:38 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Roderick Stewart wrote:
In article , SpamTrapSeeSig
wrote:
Quite frankly most stereo radio is wasted (for the reasons stated
previously), I would say that the only BBC radio station that benefits
from stereo is R3, the rest could put the freed up spectrum to better
use - or just not bother...

That applies even more so to TV.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, even if it's wrong.

I think it's wrong too. Although the only location where I benefit from stereo
radio is in the car, and I'm very glad of it. I haven't sat down at home to
listen to a radio programme for years, probably the last time when I was a
teenager locked away in my bedroom.

--
Mark
Old October 11th 08, 12:55 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
SpamTrapSeeSig

In article en.co.uk,
Roderick Stewart writes
In article , SpamTrapSeeSig
wrote:
Quite frankly most stereo radio is wasted (for the reasons stated
previously), I would say that the only BBC radio station that benefits
from stereo is R3, the rest could put the freed up spectrum to better
use - or just not bother...

That applies even more so to TV.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, even if it's wrong.

Rod.

Well, start from the basis that nobody pans dialog.

There's only a tiny amount of output for which a genuine stereo
soundstage (related properly to the picture) is meaningful. Concerts and
opera would possibly be worth it, but that's more a case of pictures
enhancing the stereo experience than vice versa.

It works well in immersive games though
--
SimonM
----- TubeWiz.com -----
Old October 11th 08, 12:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good

The message
from "Bill Wright" contains these words:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
*A nest isn't empty until all their stuff is out of the attic

Never mind the attic. What about the bedroom he slept in, the bedroom he
annexed, the garage, and the shed?

Bill

Same thing here :-( Except our 25 year old "Teenager" is still at home[1]).

[1] I say 'home', but, to him, it's a free Hotel.

--
Regards, John.

Please remove the "ohggcyht" before replying.
The address has been munged to reject Spam-bots.

Old October 11th 08, 01:06 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Jerry

"Roderick Stewart" wrote
in message
.myzen.co.uk...
snip

You're entitled to your opinion of course, even if it's wrong.

As are you! :~P
--
Wikipedia: the Internet equivalent of
Hyde Park and 'speakers corner'...

Old October 11th 08, 01:14 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

In article en.co.uk,
Roderick Stewart wrote:
No-one is bothered because the quality of radio transmissions is
almost entirely irrelevant. I know no-one who sits down in front of
their radio just to listen to it. They're always doing something
else at the same time, getting up, cooking their breakfast, eating
their toast, reading their newspaper, belching, cleaning their
teeth, driving to work. And all those things are noisy, so any
quality, as long as it isn't absolutely appalling, is in fact
perfectly adequate.

You've got it in one. Which is why things like stereo too ain't
anything like so important for most.

Audio technology has progressed a bit since the days of 2LO, crystal
sets and wind-up gramophones playing 78rpm records, so *somebody* must
care.

I take it you've never heard decent stereo? For it to work properly you
must sit between the speakers where you and they form a triangle. Not
really practical when moving around the house or room - as most do when
listening to the radio. Which is now really a background occupation in
general - unlike in days of yore.

--
*Okay, who stopped the payment on my reality check? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old October 11th 08, 01:23 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Agamemnon wrote:
DAB was doomed from the start. Now perhaps Ofcom will step in and close
the whole thing down and create a new system which is based on quality
and open broadcast standards, i.e., OGG Vorbis/AAC+HC at 64 kbps
minimum requirement, mp3 at no lower than 224 kbps, mp3 at no lower
than 320kbps, and compulsory 5.1 surround compatible encoding on all
BBC stations at bitrates of 192kbps AAC/OGG Vorbis, over the air
updates and upgrades of audio codecs so that new more efficient ones
can be introduced when developed, and the ability to broadcast
individual stations without the need to put them on a regional
multiplexes, and all Community Radio digital transmission costs to be
met by Ofcom from a levy on commercial radio and the BBC licence fee
until the price of equipment and links reaches affordable levels.

Given that DAB had extremely poor take up when introduced - with
reasonable bit rates - and reached what is likely its maximum increase in
sales *after* those bitrates were reduced - what makes you think the
public will rush to buy yet another different system - given there are now
so many ways you can listen to 'radio' programmes?

The vast majority of those who listen to radio are perfectly happy with
the present DAB (if they own a set). Try asking your neighbours rather
than those with axes to grind on here, etc.

--
*Virtual reality is its own reward*

Old October 11th 08, 01:47 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Interesting slant you put on it - most would simply say CH4 have pulled
out of their proposed radio venture. And who could blame them given the
current circumstances? Although the idea they could provide a serious and
profitable alternative to R4 is somewhat of a joke.

As you never cease to point out there are plenty alternatives to DAB -
FreeView, satellite, on line. So therefore CH4 considers these non viable
too?

The Guardian article put a lot of the blame on Ofcom etc and having to
sell the spectrum at a huge price. It says the costs of DAB transmiision
are very high.

Surely since it is almost (or could be) a SFN, there is only one
frequency to be paid for.

Most Tx sites probably alreay have a feed for analogue use so there
shouldn't be cost there and others can RBR satellite feeds.

Sounds like CH4 just trying to get out

Mike

Old October 11th 08, 01:59 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I take it you've never heard decent stereo? For it to work properly you
must sit between the speakers where you and they form a triangle. Not
really practical when moving around the house or room - as most do when
listening to the radio. Which is now really a background occupation in
general - unlike in days of yore.

And here was me thinking that we still had the left side on medium wave
Third programme (on the kitchen valve radio set) and the right side on
BBC television (405lines on the valve tele in the front room) and sat in
between in the hallway - listening to planes and trains going from side
to side.

But I spose I did get better later when I made one of the first discrete
stereo decoders (Henry's Radio boards?) with a tap point that one poked
around inside the IF strip to find some vestige of 19Kc/s.

(Still got it if anyone REALLY wants it!)

Mike