Channel 4 pulls out of DAB

Old October 11th 08, 10:50 AM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Channel 4 pulls out of DAB

Well as they shut one word, the only worthwhile station for many blind folk,
they deserve all they get. Its a bit of a non story, as no stations actually
launched. I'd imagine the guy who left the bbc to run this will have a
substantial claim on ch 4 though.

Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
Blind user, so no pictures please!
"charles" wrote in message
DAB sounds worse than FM [email protected] wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008...channel4-radio

FM switch-off now put back to May 2038 - if all goes well.

that should see me out and a bit more. But I might live to 98, you never
know.

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

Old October 11th 08, 10:52 AM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv

I doubt it will ever happen.

Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Richard Evans" wrote in message
charles wrote:
In article ,
DAB sounds worse than FM [email protected] wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008...channel4-radio

FM switch-off now put back to May 2038 - if all goes well.

that should see me out and a bit more. But I might live to 98, you never
know.

I wouldn't worry.

If you live to 98 then your hearing will probably have deteriorated to the
point where you can not tell the difference between FM and DAB anyway. (Or
does that require total deafness )

Old October 11th 08, 10:54 AM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv

No they are all deaf through listening to their walkmans loud in their
youth.

Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news

"Richard Evans" wrote in message
If you live to 98 then your hearing will probably have deteriorated to
the point where you can not tell the difference between FM and DAB
anyway. (Or does that require total deafness )

Most people can't hear anything wrong with DAB.

Please read that again. I did not say there is nothing wrong with DAB. I
am all too aware of DAB's deficiencies.

I deal with the public. I talk to them about radio. The hard fact is that
the vast majority are completely unaware of the deficiencies of DAB as
caused by low bit rates. Yes, the sound grates on me, and it grates on
you. But for most people, if there isn't a loud whistling or buzzing in
the background, and if the sound doesn't keep fading out, everything is
fine. Ordinary people are remarkably unaware of poor audio quality, as
long as they can actually tell what the speaker is saying or discern the
beat of the tune. Go into a pub on quiz night. The PA is ridiculous, but
nothing is done because no-one is bothered.

Of course, this is not an argument in favour of low audio quality. The
broadcasters should aspire to the best possible audio quality, just as
they should aspire to the best possible programme material. This should be
done as a matter of principle, not as a matter of practicality. Standards
have to be maintained or they will be eroded. Statement of the bleedin'
obvious.

The tragedy here is that those in broadcast (and outside it, hello Steve)
who lobby for better DAB audio have an uphill struggle, because the
beancounters can point to the lumpen masses and say, 'They're happy
enough'. It takes a determined and principled person (or lobby) to stand
up against this, and as far as I can see no such person (in a suitable
post) exists.

Old October 11th 08, 11:14 AM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_2_]

In article , Bill Wright wrote:
Most people can't hear anything wrong with DAB.

Agreed. Personally I think it's unfortunate, but it can't be denied.

[...]
Of course, this is not an argument in favour of low audio quality. The
broadcasters should aspire to the best possible audio quality, just as they
should aspire to the best possible programme material. This should be done
as a matter of principle, not as a matter of practicality.

Principle certainly, but why not practicality too? Broadcasting in the UK was
founded on the premise that it should provide something for everybody as a
service, not just the lucrative majority as a product to be sold for profit.
This aim is neatly achieved by the broadcasters creating everything to the
highest possible quality, regardless of content, and leaving it to the
listeners and viewers to choose.

It's also worth considering broadcasting as a form of historical
documentation because some of it will be kept as recordings. We cannot know
what will be regarded as important in the future, so there is a value in
preserving what we can at the highest quality we can manage. When CDs first
appeared, some of the first ones I bought were re-issues of recordings I'd
already been familiar with for years as LP records or cassete tapes, yet I
was suddenly able to hear subtleties in some of them that I'd never heard
properly before. In other words, the original recordings had been made to a
higher standard of quality than was needed for gramophone records, and would
only be heard properly on equipment not yet invented. I wonder if anybody
involved in sound or television recording is thinking along these lines now?

Virtual Access V6.3 free usenet/email software from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtual-access/

Old October 11th 08, 11:14 AM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_2_]

In article , Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
No-one is bothered because the quality of radio transmissions is almost
entirely irrelevant. I know no-one who sits down in front of their
radio just to listen to it. They're always doing something else at the
same time, getting up, cooking their breakfast, eating their toast,
reading their newspaper, belching, cleaning their teeth, driving to
work. And all those things are noisy, so any quality, as long as it
isn't absolutely appalling, is in fact perfectly adequate.

You've got it in one. Which is why things like stereo too ain't anything
like so important for most.

Audio technology has progressed a bit since the days of 2LO, crystal sets and
wind-up gramophones playing 78rpm records, so *somebody* must care.

Old October 11th 08, 11:24 AM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
DAB sounds worse than FM

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
"Richard Evans" wrote in message
If you live to 98 then your hearing will probably have deteriorated
the point where you can not tell the difference between FM and DAB
anyway. (Or does that require total deafness )

Most people can't hear anything wrong with DAB.

Please read that again. I did not say there is nothing wrong with
DAB. I
am all too aware of DAB's deficiencies.

I deal with the public. I talk to them about radio. The hard fact is
that
the vast majority are completely unaware of the deficiencies of DAB
as
caused by low bit rates.

There's lots of reasons for this:

http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/ar...nd-quality.php

Mainly it's that "it's digital, so it's better, innit".

The adoption of DAB was the most incompetent technical
decision ever made in the history of UK broadcasting:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/da...ion_of_dab.htm

Old October 11th 08, 11:57 AM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Jerry

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

snip

Which is why things like stereo too ain't anything
like so important for most.

Quite frankly most stereo radio is wasted (for the reasons stated
previously), I would say that the only BBC radio station that benefits
from stereo is R3, the rest could put the freed up spectrum to better
use - or just not bother...
--
Wikipedia: the Internet equivalent of
Hyde Park and 'speakers corner'...

Old October 11th 08, 11:58 AM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
No they are all deaf through listening to their walkmans loud in their
youth.

or, in my case, shooting in the cadet force - before ear defenders were
thought about.

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

Old October 11th 08, 12:35 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
SpamTrapSeeSig

In article , Woody
writes
an outside broadcast (BBC) mobile control room and it had a rank of
Sony Trinitron TV's as the monitors.

It would not have done.

Sony made grade ones as well as domestic equipment. Trinitron is the
trade name for the masking arrangements at the front of the tube, not a
measure of quality of picture.

Early Trinitrons were used as OB production monitors on set, because of
the relative brightness (compared to normal dot shadowmask tubes), but
not in the vans. When Sony produced broadcast quality monitors they sold
them to the BBC, like everyone else. Incidentally, until at least
January this year, Sony's high-end HD monitor offerings were CRT
(although I doubt exclusively so).
--
SimonM
----- TubeWiz.com -----
Old October 11th 08, 12:35 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
SpamTrapSeeSig

In article , Jerry
writes
Quite frankly most stereo radio is wasted (for the reasons stated
previously), I would say that the only BBC radio station that benefits
from stereo is R3, the rest could put the freed up spectrum to better
use - or just not bother...

That applies even more so to TV.