Whats the point of Freeview?

Old November 23rd 08, 05:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
J G Miller[_3_]

Default Whats the point of Freeview?

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 17:41:26 +0000, Woody wrote:
... and from your comments of while ago, wouldn't we be speaking
German?

If it had not been for the illegitimate Guillaume le Conquerant and
his fellow French speaking Norsemen, we would all be speaking a
more Germanic language!

Old November 23rd 08, 06:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Woody" wrote in message
... and from your comments of while ago, wouldn't we be speaking German?

Probably.

Old November 23rd 08, 06:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"J G Miller" wrote in message ...
On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 17:41:26 +0000, Woody wrote:
... and from your comments of while ago, wouldn't we be speaking
German?

If it had not been for the illegitimate Guillaume le Conquerant and
his fellow French speaking Norsemen, we would all be speaking a
more Germanic language!

Let's not stir up all that trouble from 1066 again!

Old November 24th 08, 12:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Bill Wright" wrote in message

"J G Miller" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 17:41:26 +0000, Woody wrote:
... and from your comments of while ago, wouldn't we be speaking
German?

If it had not been for the illegitimate Guillaume le Conquerant and
his fellow French speaking Norsemen, we would all be speaking a
more Germanic language!

Let's not stir up all that trouble from 1066 again!

Bill

I'll tell of the Battle of Hastings,
As happened in days long gone by,
When Duke William became King of England,
And 'Arold got shot in the eye.

It were this way - one day in October
The Duke, who were always a toff,
Having no battles on at the moment,
Had given his lads a day off.

They'd all taken boats to go fishing,
When some chap t'Conqueror's ear
Said 'Let's go and put breeze up the Saxons;'
Said Bill - 'By gum, that's an idea.

Then turning around to his soldiers,
He lifted his big Norman voice,
Shouting - 'Hands up who's coming to England.'
That was swank 'cos they hadn't no choice.

They started away about tea-time -
The sea was so calm and so still,
And at quarter to ten the next morning
They landed at place called Bexhill.

King 'Arold came up as they landed -
His face full of venom and 'ate -
He said 'If you've come for t'Regatta
You've got here just six weeks too late.'

At this William rose, cool but 'aughty,
And said - 'Give us none of your cheek;
You'd best have your throne re-upholstered,
I'll be wanting to use it next week.'

When 'Arold heard this 'ere defiance'
With rage he turned purple and blue,
And shouted some rude words in Saxon,
To which William answered -'And you.'

'Twere a beautiful day for a battle;
The Normans set off with a will,
And when both sides was duly assembled,
They tossed for the top of the hill.

King 'Arold he won the advantage,
On the hill-top he took up his stand,
With his knaves and his cads all around him,
On his 'orse with his 'awk in his 'and.

The Normans had nowt in their favour,
Their chance of a victory seemed small,
For the slope of the field were against them,
And the wind in their faces and all.

The kick-off were sharp at two-thirty,
And soon as the whistle had went
Both sides started banging each other
Till the swineherds could hear them in Kent.

The Saxons had best line of forwards,
Well armed with both buckler and sword -
But the Normans had best combination,
And when half-time came no-one had scored.

So the Duke called his cohorts together
And said - 'Let's pretend that we're beat,
Once we get Saxons on t'level
We'll cut off their means of retreat.'

So they ran - and the Saxons ran after,
Just exactly as William had planned,
Leaving 'Arold alone on the hill top
On his 'orse with his 'awk in his 'and.

When the Conqueror saw what had happened,
A bow and an arrow he drew;
He went right up to 'Arold and shot him.
He were off-side, but what could they do?

The Normans turned round in a fury,
And gave back both parry and thrust,
Till t'fightin' were all over bar shouting,
And you couldn't see Saxons for dust.

And after the battle were over
They found 'Arold so stately and grand,
Sitting there with an eye full of arrow
On his 'orse with his 'awk in his 'and.

Old November 24th 08, 01:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
J G Miller[_3_]

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 01:50:19 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

I'll tell of the Battle of Hastings,

A poem by Edgar Marriott (1880 - 1951)

http://www.poemhunter.COM/marriott-edgar/

Where you can find 36 of his poems.

QUOTE

Marriott, Edgar was born 5th October, 1880 in Kirkcudbright, Scotland
and was half brother to the novelist Edgar Wallace. He toured with
Stanley Holloway in 'The Co-Optimists' and was affectionately known to
his friends as 'George'.

UNQUOTE

The problem with his poem on The Battle of Hastings is that
contrary to popular belief, King Harold was not killed by an arrow
to the eye.

http://british-dark-middle-ages.suit...M/article.cfm/
the_death_of_harold_godwinson
Old November 24th 08, 02:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"J G Miller" wrote in message ...
The problem with his poem on The Battle of Hastings is that
contrary to popular belief, King Harold was not killed by an arrow
to the eye.

I don't see that as a problem.

Incidentally, I've been trying to find a recording of Flotsam and Jetsam
singing 'Is he an Aussie', with a total lack of success. I've had the whole
internet upside down.

Old November 25th 08, 01:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Owain" wrote in message
news
Bill Wright wrote:
Incidentally, I've been trying to find a recording of Flotsam and Jetsam
singing 'Is he an Aussie', with a total lack of success. I've had the
whole internet upside down.

Amazon have 3 "flotsman and Jetsam" CDs but they don't have that track on.

Thanks for that. I had a look and concluded the same thing. I'm wondering if
it's lost forever.

When I used to have to pacify a tiny girl five years ago on Saturday nights
I used to either hum Mozart to her or sing Little Miss Mouncer. I think she
went to sleep as a self-defence mechanism. My attempts at the basso profundo
part must have been profundo disturbing.