Help! Can't find Astra 2 :-(

Old July 31st 08, 01:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive

Default Help! Can't find Astra 2 :-(

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 00:20:34 +0100, Alan
wrote:

Just drag the end of the line showing the direction of the satellite to
the exact position where the dish is to be fitted and you don't need a
distant landmark or compass. Pick a point along the line where it
intersects with a local building or landmark, say, 50 to 100 metres
away.

So, actually, you contradicted yourself - you *do* need a landmark,
with either method. If, like myself, you have nothing for miles that
is distinctive on the aerial photo and also visible from the dish
site, then you also need a compass.

This is the method I used to roughly line-up the dish and then it took
me around 10 minutes with a the help of a cheap satellite finder meter
to align the dish and to tighten the bolts.

Fine, if it worked for you, but my point was that it won't necessarily
work for everybody.

On the aerial photograph from dishpointer.com you could just measure the
angle between the wall where the dish is to fitted and the direction of
the satellite.

No. That is only valid if the aerial shot is taken from exactly over
your house. Mine, and I would imagine by the lottery of these things
the vast majority, was not. A right-angle between 2 exterior walls of
my house is actually only about 80 degrees on the photo, an error of
10 degrees! You could try and allow for that, of course, but it's
already looking easier just to use a compass.

In this and previous posts, you seem determined to convey the idea
that setting up a satellite dish is easy, perhaps because either by
lucky circumstances of your location or your own good judgement or
both, you found it so, but it's not always that easy. I refer you to
the fact that a regular contributor to this ng, who therefore might be
expected to know a thing or two, has run into difficulties using the
rather casual ad hoc approach described in his OP.

Setting up a satellite dish is not the same as setting up an aerial, a
*much* higher level of accuracy is required.
Old July 31st 08, 06:00 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alfonso

Marky P wrote:

Got my Panasonic Freesat telly and wired it up to my dish, but it
can't find Astra 2 :-(. Shows signal quality as good, but won't tune
in as can't find satellite. I tried moving the dish and using my Sat
Finder found another signal, but still not Astra 2 (and it was weaker
than the other sat signal I found). It looks like it's pointing in
exactly the same direction as other dishes in the area. I'm just
wondering if I've got the LNB on right. You know the bit that pokes
in the end of the boom arm? Well, that isn't fully in, but the reason
for that is because there is a small 'bump' on this and that bump is
perfectly set into the 'hole' on the boom, so I thought maybe that is
the right position.

Marky P.

If your TV is showing good signal quality, I guess you can rule out
the dish, lnb or cable. You're obviously picking up a satellite but
not the correct one. You need to get your hands on a professional
meter (e.g. Horizon) to identify the one you're actually pointing at.

Old July 31st 08, 09:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Geoff Pearson

"Alfonso" wrote in message
news
Marky P wrote:

[...]

or just try each one in turn - there are only 3 or 4 strong ones. It takes
what seems a long time to get lock and decode a signal - wait a full minute
before assuming you are in the wrong one. I lined up my LIDL receiver in
about five minutes using the LIDL satmeter. There is also a Google-map
based satfinder which will give you a line on an aerial photo of your house
to show you which way to point:

http://www.uksatellitehelp.co.uk/category/software/

Old July 31st 08, 11:24 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Marky P

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 10:38:47 +0100, "Geoff Pearson"
wrote:

"Alfonso" wrote in message
news
Marky P wrote:

[...]

Thanks to everyone for their help & advice. I've been looking around
at other mini dishes today and noticed that most of them are pointing
more or less straight ahead with only a minor upwards tilt. Mine is
tilted quite a bit more than the others I've seen. Thing is, I've
been comparing it to the neighbours dish, whic I think is pointing in
the wrong direction. I did ask the neighbour about his sat reception,
be doesn't use it.

Marky P.

Old July 31st 08, 12:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Marky P

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 12:24:01 +0100, Marky P
wrote:

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 10:38:47 +0100, "Geoff Pearson"
wrote:

"Alfonso" wrote in message
news
Marky P wrote:

[...]

Found it :-))))

I lowered the dish elevation so it looked just above the horizon,
swung it round to the east, connected the Sat Finder and slowly swung
it round towards south. First signal it come to I did a final
elevation tweak and bolted it all in place and all is now fine :-)
The LNB skew is set at 3 at the moment, I haven't tried adjusting it
yet. Signal quality is around 50%, so maybe the skew needs adjusting
too, but I'll see how it goes.

Marky P.

Old August 1st 08, 06:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive

Only just noticed this, perhaps his dish was pointing at the old
analogue sat 19.2E, that would explain if it was both further round to
the south and higher.

If he ever wants to use it, it should be possible to swing it round to
28.2E, though the adjusting bolts might need some penetrating fluid
overnight.

Old August 3rd 08, 11:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive

Apparently, the skew on Astra 2 is out by around 7 or 8 deg, see ...

Location ...
Latitude: 51.451
Longitude: -0.991

http://www.dishpointer.com
Azimuth: 144.4
Elevation: 25.1
LNB skew: -13.7

http://www.satlex.de/en/azel_calc-pa...ountry_code=uk
Azimuth: 144.46 (True North)
Elevation: 25.15
LNB tilt (Skew): -21.24
LNB tilt (Skew): -14.24 (Astra 2A/B/C/D = special case!)

http://www.satsig.net/ssazelm.htm
Azimuth: 144.46
Elevation: 25.13
LNB skew: -21.24

I've found references to this in ngs & discussions, for example ...
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s...15&postcount=2
.... and next post down, but nothing official. Can anyone help out
with a link to an official, trustworthy source of info?

What is the true figure for this location? -13.7 or -14.24?
Not that I can do much about it, as I'm using a rotor!

Old August 3rd 08, 05:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 12:04:06 +0100, Java Jive wrote:

Apparently, the skew on Astra 2 is out by around 7 or 8 deg, see ...

http://www.satlex.de/en/azel_calc-pa...ountry_code=uk
Azimuth: 144.46 (True North)
Elevation: 25.15
LNB tilt (Skew): -21.24
LNB tilt (Skew): -14.24 (Astra 2A/B/C/D = special case!)

I've found references to this in ngs & discussions, for example ...
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s...15&postcount=2
... and next post down, but nothing official. Can anyone help out
with a link to an official, trustworthy source of info?

What is the true figure for this location? -13.7 or -14.24?
Not that I can do much about it, as I'm using a rotor!

Who cares anyway? This difference makes bugger all difference for any
domestic reception use. Of course, we have to be much more precise when
uplinking to the satellites...
Old August 3rd 08, 06:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive

I see you're trying to live up to your email. In future, don't reply
unless you have something helpful to say, it'll save wasting both our
times.

Old August 3rd 08, 10:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 19:22:37 +0100, Java Jive wrote:

I see you're trying to live up to your email.

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

In future, don't reply unless you have something helpful to say, it'll save
wasting both our times.

It was helpful. It told you not to waste your time. I will do what I like,
when I like. I won't be dictated to by the likes of you.
You are obviously a ****ing clueless idiot when it comes to all this.