nanoMPEG editor

Old July 25th 03, 02:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ronald Marlowe

Default nanoMPEG editor

"DK" wrote

Would it be
better to PVAstrumento the original 2.5GB file from hauppage before I
split it ?

Yes, Yes, Yes! Use the latest version of PVAS - v.2.0.30 - some recent
versions have difficulty handling some Freeview streams - select "make PS"
and use all the default settings except two: select a Packet Size of 2048
Bytes, and, under the "Video" tab, select "do long scans over (200)
sequences", changing the value to *500*.

I too have, in the past, experimented with Nanoedit, and also found problems
with large files, even under WinXP/NTFS. Don't know of a cure - sorry.

Anyone achieved decent DIVX results with hauppage MPEGS of 2-2.5gb in
size ?? and thus, got any suggestions ??

The Divx 5 codec seems quite nice. Use it with Vidomi. IIRC, Vidomi allows
you to "select source range", ie trim your files.Thus, you might be able to
dispense with Nanoedit.Why not take a look at TMPGEnc. This has a useful
cut/trim tool.

www.divx.com
www.vidomi.com

Good Luck,

Ron.

Old July 28th 03, 08:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
DK

Mmm, further messing revealed that even PVAstrumento produced a file
with sound out of synch with the video!! Downloaded TMPGEnc and it
also produced out of synch sound.

Downloaded the demo of Dr Divx v1.02 from divx and finally, something
that works perfectly. It accepts the unaltered file from Hauppage,
allows me to trim the file, and produces a decent quality, small file
with the audio perfectly in synch!!

Old July 28th 03, 09:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ronald Marlowe

"DK" wrote

Downloaded the demo of Dr Divx v1.02 from divx and finally, something
that works perfectly. It accepts the unaltered file from Hauppage,
allows me to trim the file, and produces a decent quality, small file
with the audio perfectly in synch!!

Good!

Forgot to mention something called "nanofix" - a small utility produced by
the nanoedit people that is intended to sort out errors in the mpeg headers,
prior to further processing. Can't remember where it's located - try
Googling.

I have sometimes found that PVAS can cause the very synch problems that it
is intended to fix when it is working on Hauppauge (Nova-t) files. My usual
process is: record with Nebula DigiTv; run through PVAStrumento; perhaps
edit with ULead Video Studio 7; cut/trim, etc with TMPGEnc DVD Author;
Author and burn to DVD with same. Luckily I *always* get discs that retain
perfect a/v sync this way.
I've found that it is often necessary to omit the PVAS stage when using
Nova-t recordings in order to retain sync. Unfortunately, without PVAS-ing,
TMPGEnc DVD Author will not accept the file, making it necessary to submit
to a slow, time-consuming transcode to DVD-format.

Why not e-mail PVAS's author? He is, at present, beta-testing his latest
version and might be very pleased to hear about your difficulties.I'm sure
that many people find PVAS a boon - it more often than not "firms up" DVB
recordings so successfully that further processing becomes predictable and
reliable. Perhaps the man could include a fix to do the same for HP pvr 250
files?

Ron.