English/Scottish TV...

Old July 25th 03, 10:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
user0

Default English/Scottish TV...

Hi all,

I'm new to this group, so excuse me if this is a simpe question (I'm
also new to digi tv stuff, and I have searched for answers, but a lot
of it didn't mean much to me). I have an ordinary TV, and an ordinary
aeriel, plugged into a digi receiver. I get the free view channels on
the receiver. I would like, if possible, to receive England's BBC
channels (I live in Scotland), but have been told by several people,
that this is/isn't possible, so I'd quite like a definitive answer
(even if I can't do it with what I've got, I'd be prepared to buy new
kit). Can I get someone down south to subscribe to a sky pack for me,
and just send the card up (the Sky rep said no, because "cards only
work in the postcode area they're meant for", but I take that with a
pinch of salt). The guy at my local shop tells me that he gets BBC
all the time...again, pinch of salt...Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

TIA,
user0.
Old July 25th 03, 11:17 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phil Striplin

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:15:42 +0100, user0 wrote:

Hi all,

I'm new to this group, so excuse me if this is a simpe question (I'm
also new to digi tv stuff, and I have searched for answers, but a lot
of it didn't mean much to me). I have an ordinary TV, and an ordinary
aeriel, plugged into a digi receiver. I get the free view channels on
the receiver. I would like, if possible, to receive England's BBC
channels (I live in Scotland), but have been told by several people,
that this is/isn't possible, so I'd quite like a definitive answer

OK. Assuming you're using Freeview - ie terrestrial TV, through an
aerial, not satellite, the answer's no, unless you happen to live near
the border and in range of an English transmitter.

(even if I can't do it with what I've got, I'd be prepared to buy new
kit). Can I get someone down south to subscribe to a sky pack for me,
and just send the card up (the Sky rep said no, because "cards only
work in the postcode area they're meant for", but I take that with a
pinch of salt). The guy at my local shop tells me that he gets BBC
all the time...again, pinch of salt...Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

However, with satellite, *all* the BBC regions are available (at the
moment you have to tune them in manually, but from next Tuesday
they'll be on the on-screen programme guide. The Sky rep is out of
date.

You don't need to get an "english" card. In fact, for the BBC you
don't need a Sky sub at all - the BBC now transmit free to air. You
will however need a Sky sub to get Sky (obviously!) and to get ITV,
Channel 4 and 5 through the satellite receiver. You can get all the
ITV regions, although there's precious little difference these days.

So if you want English BBC1 and BBC2, get satellite.

Hope this helps.

Phil

TIA,
user0.

Old July 25th 03, 11:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
user0

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:17:28 GMT, Phil Striplin
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:15:42 +0100, user0 wrote:

Hi all,

I'm new to this group, so excuse me if this is a simpe question (I'm
also new to digi tv stuff, and I have searched for answers, but a lot
of it didn't mean much to me). I have an ordinary TV, and an ordinary
aeriel, plugged into a digi receiver. I get the free view channels on
the receiver. I would like, if possible, to receive England's BBC
channels (I live in Scotland), but have been told by several people,
that this is/isn't possible, so I'd quite like a definitive answer

OK. Assuming you're using Freeview - ie terrestrial TV, through an
aerial, not satellite, the answer's no, unless you happen to live near
the border and in range of an English transmitter.

What's the chances of me being able to buy some sort of aeriel/booster
that will pickup English channels and let me watch them (I'm in
Edinburgh) - I assume none, but I'm interested...

(even if I can't do it with what I've got, I'd be prepared to buy new
kit). Can I get someone down south to subscribe to a sky pack for me,
and just send the card up (the Sky rep said no, because "cards only
work in the postcode area they're meant for", but I take that with a
pinch of salt). The guy at my local shop tells me that he gets BBC
all the time...again, pinch of salt...Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

However, with satellite, *all* the BBC regions are available (at the
moment you have to tune them in manually, but from next Tuesday
they'll be on the on-screen programme guide. The Sky rep is out of
date.

Ok...I have an unused satellite dish. So I need what exactly? A sky
box? Can I get one of these legally without subscribing to Sky? Or
will Sky come and fit one for me, and set it all up, if I pay for it,
even if I don't want a subscription?

You don't need to get an "english" card. In fact, for the BBC you
don't need a Sky sub at all - the BBC now transmit free to air. You
will however need a Sky sub to get Sky (obviously!) and to get ITV,
Channel 4 and 5 through the satellite receiver. You can get all the
ITV regions, although there's precious little difference these days.

So if I want the BBC and nothing else, I just need a receiver, set up
correctly? If I pick one up second hand, are there any good resources
for setting these things up manually? I'm technically minded, but know
nothing about satellite stuff, ATM. I also need a sky sub to get 4, 5
and ITV? Any reason for that, or is it just the way they do it?

So if you want English BBC1 and BBC2, get satellite.

Hope this helps.

Immensely. Thanks for taking the time out to reply to a clueless
newb...

Phil

TIA,
user0.

Old July 25th 03, 12:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
user0

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:00:53 +0100, Steve Peterson
wrote:

user0 wrote:
[...]

Freeview is region specific. If you live in Scotland then you will only
get Scottish BBC. I live in East Anglia and get BBC East. This is
because the freeview feed is taken from the output of the local TX.
On Sky the cards are Post code specific.

This goes against what Phil said, as I understood it (no offence
intended to either of you). Is this an ongoing argument, or does
someone know for sure? I only want English BBC, not NI or Wales...but
I don't mind paying for a Sky setup, if I'm guaranteed English
BBC...if the cards are post code specific, can I get one sent from
England (again, the rep said no, a card from a wrong postcode will
mean the receiver shuts itself down, when the "signal" comes in with
the six o'clock news, that tells the box which area it's in).

??????????

TIA,
user0
Old July 25th 03, 02:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton

user0 wrote in message

What's the chances of me being able to buy some sort of aeriel/booster
that will pickup English channels and let me watch them (I'm in
Edinburgh) - I assume none, but I'm interested...

You don't say where in Auld Reekie you are, but even in the castle you are
too far from England (~80km to just to Berwick) and too low to see over the
Lammermuir Hills.

Sorry.

Old July 25th 03, 02:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Aztech

user0 wrote in message ...

Freeview is region specific. If you live in Scotland then you will only
get Scottish BBC. I live in East Anglia and get BBC East. This is
because the freeview feed is taken from the output of the local TX.
On Sky the cards are Post code specific.

This goes against what Phil said, as I understood it (no offence
intended to either of you). Is this an ongoing argument, or does
someone know for sure? I only want English BBC, not NI or Wales...but
I don't mind paying for a Sky setup, if I'm guaranteed English
BBC...if the cards are post code specific, can I get one sent from
England (again, the rep said no, a card from a wrong postcode will
mean the receiver shuts itself down, when the "signal" comes in with
the six o'clock news, that tells the box which area it's in).

First of all, unless you're in a border area covered by an English transmitter
forget DTT/Freeview, it's location specific according to your local transmitter,
like the analogue network.

All 'national' and regional BBC variations are available on Digital Satellite,
the BBC now transmit unencrypted on a Free-To-Air (FTA) basis, these channels
can be received without the need for any sort of smartcard or Sky digibox. If
you're simply interested in BBC and other FTA channels you can buy a plain old
DVB-s box without having to bother with Sky at all (BSkyB don't own the
satellites or the standard) :-
http://www.sateuropa.co.uk/product_o...id=1&subcat=14

Note, ITV/C4/five are still encrypted and now require a basic Sky subscription
along with a Sky digibox. Free-To-View cards are no longer being sent out and
the future of existing cards is in doubt.

Az.

Old July 25th 03, 03:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Aztech

user0 wrote in message ...

However, with satellite, *all* the BBC regions are available (at the
moment you have to tune them in manually, but from next Tuesday
they'll be on the on-screen programme guide. The Sky rep is out of
date.

Ok...I have an unused satellite dish. So I need what exactly? A sky
box? Can I get one of these legally without subscribing to Sky? Or
will Sky come and fit one for me, and set it all up, if I pay for it,
even if I don't want a subscription?

Is it a minidish? If it's older you need to replace the LNB (the block on the
arm) and realign it to 28e. Unless you want to subscribe to Sky you don't need
to a Sky digibox to receive FTA digital satellite, any DVB-s box will do.

You don't need to get an "english" card. In fact, for the BBC you
don't need a Sky sub at all - the BBC now transmit free to air. You
will however need a Sky sub to get Sky (obviously!) and to get ITV,
Channel 4 and 5 through the satellite receiver. You can get all the
ITV regions, although there's precious little difference these days.

So if I want the BBC and nothing else, I just need a receiver, set up
correctly? If I pick one up second hand, are there any good resources
for setting these things up manually? I'm technically minded, but know
nothing about satellite stuff, ATM. I also need a sky sub to get 4, 5
and ITV? Any reason for that, or is it just the way they do it?

You really want to know? The original Astra 2 satellite(s) have a footprint
that covers the whole of Europe and UK broadcasters only have English language
rights to the UK, so they had to encrypt to limit viewing, which inevitably
meant tying people into Sky's encryption and digiboxes, the BBC used to fund a
FTV card scheme that gave people access to their channels (along with C5/five)
without need for a Sky subscription, ITV later hitched a ride. The BBC recently
decided to do away with encryption purportedly due to costs reasons and moved to
a new satellite that has footprint that focuses on the British Isles :-
http://www.ses-astra.com/satellites/...value=4&sat=15
http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/satmeter.htm

ITV/C4/five still remain encrypted and are unwilling to pick up the 14m bill
for the FTV card scheme, so Sky have absorbed them into their basic subscription
package. The BBC now have little association with Sky apart from paying for EPG
slots for their digiboxes.

Az.

Old July 25th 03, 03:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

user0 wrote
I would like, if possible, to receive England's BBC
channels (I live in Scotland),
TIA,
user0.

You can get ALL regional versions of BBC1 & BBC2 with ANY digital
satellite receiver with a dish pointing to the Sky Satellite.

You CANNOT get English BBC through your TV aerial in Edinburgh.

Simple as that.
Old July 25th 03, 03:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Porcella

"Phil Striplin" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:15:42 +0100, user0 wrote:

Hi all,

I'm new to this group, so excuse me if this is a simpe question (I'm
also new to digi tv stuff, and I have searched for answers, but a lot
of it didn't mean much to me). I have an ordinary TV, and an ordinary
aeriel, plugged into a digi receiver. I get the free view channels on
the receiver. I would like, if possible, to receive England's BBC
channels (I live in Scotland), but have been told by several people,
that this is/isn't possible, so I'd quite like a definitive answer

OK. Assuming you're using Freeview - ie terrestrial TV, through an
aerial, not satellite, the answer's no, unless you happen to live near
the border and in range of an English transmitter.

In other words, your rooftop aerial is pointing at and receiving signals
from an English transmitter of Digital Terrestrial TV (DTT).

--
MESSAGE ENDS.
John Porcella

Old July 25th 03, 03:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Porcella

wrote:

[...]

I think you are too far.

Sky Digital would be a better bet.