Seriously OT - primarily for Bill

Old April 8th 08, 01:24 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

Default Seriously OT - primarily for Bill

":Jerry:" wrote in message
No-one washes dishes. All these places use huge machines to do it. And
the national minimum is over a fiver now.

Clever dishes (never mind the cutlery), just think, these bits of innate
china can somehow manage to get from table to dishwasher and from
dishwasher to storage place all by themselves -

Clearing tables and the general organisation of a restaurant is not the same
thing as washing dishes.

FFS Bill you are one sure dim-**** at times, does it come natural or do you
have to practice?...

One sure thing I've learnt is that when people resort to personal abuse they
have run out of arguments.

Old April 8th 08, 01:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

":Jerry:" wrote in message
My concern is that because of the global warming craze decisions are
being taken that will affect the prosperity of the whole of mankind.

If (accelerated) CC is real, being caused by mankind, and mankind doesn't
do something to (try) and reduce the rate at which any such changes take
place, the (financial) prosperity of the whole of mankind will be the
least of mankind's worries!

No it won't. The climate will change and we'll adjust, just as we have for
the last 50,000 years.

Old April 8th 08, 08:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_2_]

Whether or not the present rate of climate change is 'abnormal' (and that
depends on how narrowly you define 'normal') I contend that there is
absolutely SFA we can do about it.

I think this is a really important point. Whilst we in the UK - who produce
a MINUTE proportion of the global CO2 emissions - sacrifice our comfort and
risk our economy, China, India and (one day) Africa WILL pump out MASSES
more CO2 as they industrialise and their economies grow.

I agree that we can't try to convince them otherwise unless we walk the
walk, but the idea that China, India and Africa will radically change their
economic strategies just because some damp little island off the coast of
Europe says they should is completely laughable.

Who do we think we are?

The risk is that we will sacrifice many of the benefits we've worked hard
for, while the developing world carries on regardless.

SteveT

Old April 8th 08, 08:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin Faichney

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 02:19:05 +0100, "Bill Wright"
wrote:

":Jerry:" wrote in message

"Woody" wrote in message
snip

That's it - the answer. Kill all of the animals and do away with all
vegitation and we can do what we like ;-))

If we did away with all the vegetation the problem would be even worse, in
fact it would be setting a death sentence for the world, vegetation
absorbs Co2 - that's why burning fuel made from (natural) wood products is
'carbon natural', the burning of it only releases what it has absorbed in
it life.

It still produces CO2 though doesn't it? How is that different from burning
coal, which is made from (natural)
wood products as well.

Burning wood is only "carbon neutral" if the trees are replaced. We
can't replace coal.
--
http://www.robinfaichney.org/
Old April 8th 08, 09:00 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin Faichney

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 02:08:04 +0100, "Bill Wright"
wrote:

I must say, I think a bit of warmth would be a bloody good thing for the UK.

More energy in the atmosphere -- which is what global warming means --
means more extreme weather events as well as warmer temperatures. In
the UK that translates to more storms and more flooding. Summers, on
the best predictions currently available, will be warmer and drier,
which I quite fancy too, but winters, as well as being milder, will be
wetter. More rainfall combined with higher sea levels due to both
thermal expansion and ice melt will mean disastrous floods in some
areas. Most of the world's population live in low-lying areas, such as
Bangladesh, so more difficult living conditions in these areas will
mean much more immigration pressure in places like the UK. You're
going to love it, Bill!
--
http://www.robinfaichney.org/
Old April 8th 08, 09:08 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin Faichney

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 09:27:07 +0100, "Steve Thackery"
wrote:

I agree that we can't try to convince them otherwise unless we walk the
walk, but the idea that China, India and Africa will radically change their
economic strategies just because some damp little island off the coast of
Europe says they should is completely laughable.

Who do we think we are?

Do you really think the UK is alone on this? What about the rest of
Europe, the US (certainly when the current cretin is gone), all the
low lying areas of the third world that are now wakening up to the
dangers of sea level rise? Plus the fact that the US and Europe are
vital markets for China and India. And the fact that the latest
technologies, much more easily adopted by new players than by those
with mature economies, tend to be greener as well as more efficient.

Yes, there are big problems, but it's not hopeless. Our enemies are
not other countries, but the deniers and defeatists in our midst.
--
http://www.robinfaichney.org/
Old April 8th 08, 09:11 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
:Jerry:

"Bill Wright" wrote in message

":Jerry:" wrote in message

"Woody" wrote in message
snip

That's it - the answer. Kill all of the animals and do away with
all vegitation and we can do what we like ;-))

If we did away with all the vegetation the problem would be even
worse, in fact it would be setting a death sentence for the world,
vegetation absorbs Co2 - that's why burning fuel made from
(natural) wood products is 'carbon natural', the burning of it only
releases what it has absorbed in it life.

It still produces CO2 though doesn't it? How is that different from
burning coal, which is made from (natural)
wood products as well.

How many million year old trees are growing in your woods Bill?!
Burning coal releases Co2 (not CO2, that's something completely
different) that has not been in the atmosphere for a few million
years - result, a net increase in Co2 levels.

Old April 8th 08, 09:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin Faichney

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 01:50:16 +0100, "Bill Wright"
wrote:

The fact is that if there was a really strong link between CO2 emissions and
climate change there would be a correlation right though the last century.

Not true.

But there isn't. During the massive industrial growth of the 50s and 60s the
rate of climate change decreased. It should have shot up.

That "massive industrial growth" only happened in limited areas, and
is tiny in comparison with what's happened since and is happening now,
on a global perspective. Plus, there are other, complicating factors,
such as air pollution that reflects heat back into space and so has a
cooling effect. Unfortunately, that lasts only a few years, unlike the
effects of CO2, which go on for decades.
--
http://www.robinfaichney.org/
Old April 8th 08, 09:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin Faichney

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 09:03:08 +0100, CD wrote:

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 02:26:01 +0100, "Bill Wright"
wrote:

No it won't. The climate will change and we'll adjust, just as we have for
the last 50,000 years.

Always love a global warming debate, just like a political one.
If it snows in April it's climate change, if it's the hottest 3rd week
in July since records began it's global warming.

Anyway, if you like a good read try State of Fear by Michael
Chrichton. It's cracking thriller about eco terrorists creating
"natural" disasters to get their point across. It is a work of
fiction, but all the research he's done regarding GW/CC is real.
A real page turner & an ideal read on a freezing cold spring day.

There's a great review of the book he
http://www.realclimate.org/index.php?p=74
--
http://www.robinfaichney.org/
Old April 8th 08, 09:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
:Jerry:

"Bill Wright" wrote in message

":Jerry:" wrote in message
I can't see how. At that point I was complaining about the
demographic fact that we natives will be in a minority in our own
country before too long. Successive governments have totally
dropped us in the **** by allowing all this immigration by people
who are culturally alien to us.

You're racist too then! Hope you don't have any Nordic bold in your
ancestry Bill, people would hate to think of you as a hypocrite...

Here we go! Anyone who cares about our British culture is called a
racist! I don't give a **** about people's race. How can that
matter? What I care about is the fact that our culture is likley to
be overwhelmed by an alien culture; one that's demonstrably inferior
to our own. Specifically, how do you feel about the House of Commons
of 2060 making it illegal to own a Holy Bible, or perform a
homosexual act?

There is not such thing as "British culture", there is a culture that
is found in Britain (this has been fact since before the Vikings came
over from the Nordic countries!), the culture of Britain has been
changing and adapting like a rivers flow ever since. Just face it
Bill, the arguments you use are racist even if you do not think they
are, 'immigrants' have been coming to this country since time began.