OT Low Energy Light Bulb

Old March 15th 08, 12:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

Default OT Low Energy Light Bulb

In article ,
Doctor D wrote:
My father in law is going blind and needs at least a 100 watt lamp in
his light fittings, some of which are rated at 60 watt max. After
several burned lampholders and a singed shade or two, I've now got him
kitted out with Philips 18 watt CFL's. He's very happy with the light
output, and the quick start, and there's no longer the worry of him
burning the house down when several are left on all night, every night.

The only CFL I have which gives the claimed output in terms of tungsten
watts is a GEC RO80 replacement which cost the thick end of 20 quid. Got
it in the anglepoise over the workbench. Decent enough light quality for
that purpose too. Takes a wee while to com up to full strength, though,
but not a problem for this application. Only others I have are outside
lights.

--
*Why is the third hand on the watch called a second hand?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old March 15th 08, 12:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart

In article , Bill Wright wrote:
And as always Joe Public is the mug. The amount of energy that could*
possibly be saved by private individuals is tiny compared to that wasted by*
industry, health, and government institutions. I get to go into all these*
sort of places daily and I'm often staggered by the the energy waste.

Yes there's a huge amount of waste in these places, and nobody seems to care,
but if I can light my living room with a few tens of Watts instead of several
hundred, it's *my* money that gets saved, so I'm not that much of a mug.

Old March 15th 08, 12:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart

In article , Ian Jackson wrote:
So we'll all have to do without the benefit of that 'wasted' by-product*
of incandescent bulbs, ie heat? I have just taken delivery of 1000*
pounds-worth of central heating oil - up from 36p/l last year to 45p/l*
this year (none of your sissy 15% for gas and electricity). Those*
'wasteful' old-style bulbs may not contribute much heat but, in the*
circumstances, every little helps! Wanting to ban them totally is simply*
muddled thinking. As they say, 'The road to Hell is paved with good*
intentions'.

You can't be serious? Heat from electricity produced by burning fuel at a
power station and then converting its heat into electricity to feed down
the wires to your house to convert back into heat again in your lightbulbs
cannot possibly be as efficient as heat produced by burning the fuel in a
boiler in your house, right where the heat is wanted.

Old March 15th 08, 12:08 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chas Gill

"Bill Wright" wrote in message

"Al" wrote in message
. 4...
Tesco today have them at 1p each limit of 4 per customer.

Overpriced.

If they want me to live in a cheap doctors waiting room or massage
parlour,
have to remove all of my lamp dimmers, put up with the electrical
interference, move my TV so that the excess IR doesn't block my remote,
I'd
still be looking at them paying me to take this garbage off of their
hands.

And if you suffer from migraine?

They don't save that much power either. I used to have one 60W bulb in one
of my bathrooms. When I did the room out I installed two strategically
placed lampholders and put an 11W low energy tube in each. The result was
that the light level was about the same as it was before, and the quality
was very much worse. The tubes only give 60W equivalent light when they're
new. After about 10% of their life the output has dropped significantly.
My bathroom is now gloomy.

Bill

Forgive me, Bill, but I have to challenge that! Modern low energy "bulbs"
just aren't like that. One 11 (or 12) watt low energy bulb will give as
much light as an old 60 watt incandescent and won't fade with use. IN fact,
if you buy the "daylight" bulbs the perceived light output is much more. Go
and invest in some new ones.

Chas

Old March 15th 08, 12:11 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chas Gill

"Scott" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 20:00:52 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Chas Gill
writes

"housetrained" wrote in message
news We had a load given to us. It's as we first thought when my sister
tried
them. You can't give them away they are SOOOO bad.

--
John the West Ham fan

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , ChrisM
writes
In message ,
David Proclaimed from the tallest tower:

Tesco today have them at 1p each limit of 4 per customer.

Sounds too good to be true, but a quick Google would seem to prove you
right!!
Will check it out on my way home from work later... no doubt if they
had
any, they've sold out by now though :-(

A couple of months ago, Waitrose were giving them away.
--
Ian

Er - sorry? What's SOOOO bad about them? I have a house full and "they
rock" (as my youngest is wont to say). In any case, like 'em or not in a
year or two you won't have a choice. The good ol' incandescent variety
will
be banned because of it's horrendous inefficiency and carbon load. So
there!

Chas

So we'll all have to do without the benefit of that 'wasted' by-product
of incandescent bulbs, ie heat? I have just taken delivery of 1000
pounds-worth of central heating oil - up from 36p/l last year to 45p/l
this year (none of your sissy 15% for gas and electricity). Those
'wasteful' old-style bulbs may not contribute much heat but, in the
circumstances, every little helps! Wanting to ban them totally is simply
muddled thinking. As they say, 'The road to Hell is paved with good
intentions'.

I see what you mean. The heat is obviously needed all year round and
most useful close to the ceiling. A lightbulb must be a more
efficient way of heating a house than a heating system designed for
the purpose.

Whichever way you look at it, the contribution that an incandescent bulb
makes to the overall heating demand in a domestic dwelling is a VERY
expensive way to get warmer - unless electricity has suddenly got a lot
cheaper than gas (or even oil) per kWh.

Old March 15th 08, 12:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chas Gill

"Chas Gill" wrote in message
Er - sorry? What's SOOOO bad about them? I have a house full and "they
rock" (as my youngest is wont to say). In any case, like 'em or not in a
year or two you won't have a choice. The good ol' incandescent variety
will be banned because of it's horrendous inefficiency and carbon load.
So there!

It will always be possible to buy mains voltage filament lamps because
they are essential for some things, like studio photography. But just to
make sure, I've bought 50 of each wattage. These will be enough to last me
because my lighting is mostly low voltage halogen and fluo. Outside lights
are sodium. I've bought the lamps though on principle, even though I could
easily change over to low energy ones, because it annoys me so much when
prodnoses gleefully say "You won't have a choice soon, tee hee!" As far as
I'm concerned the more people try to interfere with my life on the basis
of bad science and mob hysteria the more I'll go out of my way to do the
exact opposite of what they want. When I was younger there was genuine
freedom in this country, but nowadays it's greatly diminished. Many people
feel the same way as me, and I've even heard that some extremists advocate
the following:

1. The council bans high vehicles from the dumpit and won't let you even
carry your rubbish in from the entrance (discrimination against the
disabled in people/wheelchair carriers, people with large families, people
who have a van for work and can't afford a car as well)
SO
Feel that it is morally OK to flytip in beautyspots.

2. Put concentrated weedkiller in the green bin as revenge for making us
spend our valuable time sorting rubbish.

3. Look under the front lip of the normal bin, find the chip (it's in a
recess behind a disk of plastic) and swap it with someone else's.

4. To replace little light supermarket bags when they are outlawed, buy
rolls of heavy duty binliners (that's what happened in Ireland; sales of
binliners quadrupled).

Bill

But it isn't bad science..........................and I'm not hysterical.
Just erring on the safe side and (hopefully) giving my kids and their kids
half a chance of having as good a life as I've had. I can live with that.

Old March 15th 08, 07:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike O'Sullivan

Chas Gill wrote:

Er - sorry? What's SOOOO bad about them? I have a house full and "they
rock" (as my youngest is wont to say). In any case, like 'em or not in a
year or two you won't have a choice. The good ol' incandescent variety will
be banned because of it's horrendous inefficiency and carbon load. So
there!

When you eventually need to dispose of them, have you considered how you
will safely re-cycle the mercury they contain?
Old March 15th 08, 08:08 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , Roderick
Stewart writes
[...]

Rod.

So does the same hold true for electric vehicles? We are being told that
these are the epitome of efficiency and eco-friendliness, and enjoy all
sorts of perks (tax, congestion charge etc). Maybe a rethink is needed.
--
Ian
Old March 15th 08, 09:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ivan

[...]

Seems to me that there is no such thing as a free lunch, because even if we
powered all of our vehicle's with electricity generated by nuclear, there
would still be sizeable amounts of energy consumed and Co2 generated during
the construction process of a nuclear facility.

There's also the additional hidden knock on effects involving energy
consumption and Co2 generation produced by the workers and other industries
involved in the actual day to day running and maintenance, then there is the
potentially environmentally 'unfriendly' waste, which has to be stored and
kept safe and secure, not forgetting of course the energy input and billions
of pounds in cost spread over a period of years which will be required come
decommissioning time - however like it or lump it, this is something that we
will sooner rather than later have to make a concrete decision on if we're
to maintain our current standard of living.

Ian

Old March 15th 08, 09:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 07:22:34 +0000, Mike O'Sullivan
wrote:

Chas Gill wrote:

Er - sorry? What's SOOOO bad about them? I have a house full and "they
rock" (as my youngest is wont to say). In any case, like 'em or not in a
year or two you won't have a choice. The good ol' incandescent variety will
be banned because of it's horrendous inefficiency and carbon load. So
there!

When you eventually need to dispose of them, have you considered how you
will safely re-cycle the mercury they contain?

I remember reading that the mercury contained in a low energy light
bulb is less than the mercury that would be released into the
atmosphere to generate the additional electricity needed to power a
conventional lightbulb over the same period. Maybe someone can
confirm.