OT Low Energy Light Bulb

Old March 14th 08, 08:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott

Default OT Low Energy Light Bulb

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 20:00:52 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Chas Gill
writes

"housetrained" wrote in message
news
We had a load given to us. It's as we first thought when my sister tried
them. You can't give them away they are SOOOO bad.

--
John the West Ham fan

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , ChrisM
writes
In message ,
David Proclaimed from the tallest tower:

Tesco today have them at 1p each limit of 4 per customer.

Sounds too good to be true, but a quick Google would seem to prove you
right!!
Will check it out on my way home from work later... no doubt if they had
any, they've sold out by now though :-(

A couple of months ago, Waitrose were giving them away.
--
Ian

Er - sorry? What's SOOOO bad about them? I have a house full and "they
rock" (as my youngest is wont to say). In any case, like 'em or not in a
year or two you won't have a choice. The good ol' incandescent variety will
be banned because of it's horrendous inefficiency and carbon load. So
there!

Chas

So we'll all have to do without the benefit of that 'wasted' by-product
of incandescent bulbs, ie heat? I have just taken delivery of 1000
pounds-worth of central heating oil - up from 36p/l last year to 45p/l
this year (none of your sissy 15% for gas and electricity). Those
'wasteful' old-style bulbs may not contribute much heat but, in the
circumstances, every little helps! Wanting to ban them totally is simply
muddled thinking. As they say, 'The road to Hell is paved with good
intentions'.

I see what you mean. The heat is obviously needed all year round and
most useful close to the ceiling. A lightbulb must be a more
efficient way of heating a house than a heating system designed for
the purpose.
Old March 14th 08, 08:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian C

David wrote:
Tesco today have them at 1p each limit of 4 per customer.

Suppose you could fit or a few in the back of ye average cheapo LCD
supermarket TV when the backlight eventually fails.

Or use them for lighting behind the rear of the LCD set to give an
apparent decrease in black level?

:-)

--
Adrian C
Old March 14th 08, 09:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Chas Gill" wrote in message
Er - sorry? What's SOOOO bad about them? I have a house full and "they
rock" (as my youngest is wont to say). In any case, like 'em or not in a
year or two you won't have a choice. The good ol' incandescent variety
will be banned because of it's horrendous inefficiency and carbon load.
So there!

It will always be possible to buy mains voltage filament lamps because they
are essential for some things, like studio photography. But just to make
sure, I've bought 50 of each wattage. These will be enough to last me
because my lighting is mostly low voltage halogen and fluo. Outside lights
are sodium. I've bought the lamps though on principle, even though I could
easily change over to low energy ones, because it annoys me so much when
prodnoses gleefully say "You won't have a choice soon, tee hee!" As far as
I'm concerned the more people try to interfere with my life on the basis of
bad science and mob hysteria the more I'll go out of my way to do the exact
opposite of what they want. When I was younger there was genuine freedom in
this country, but nowadays it's greatly diminished. Many people feel the
same way as me, and I've even heard that some extremists advocate the
following:

1. The council bans high vehicles from the dumpit and won't let you even
carry your rubbish in from the entrance (discrimination against the disabled
in people/wheelchair carriers, people with large families, people who have a
van for work and can't afford a car as well)
SO
Feel that it is morally OK to flytip in beautyspots.

2. Put concentrated weedkiller in the green bin as revenge for making us
spend our valuable time sorting rubbish.

3. Look under the front lip of the normal bin, find the chip (it's in a
recess behind a disk of plastic) and swap it with someone else's.

4. To replace little light supermarket bags when they are outlawed, buy
rolls of heavy duty binliners (that's what happened in Ireland; sales of
binliners quadrupled).

Old March 14th 08, 09:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Scott" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 19:18:44 GMT, "housetrained"
wrote:
Maybe you are looking at the older design or the open tubed design. If
the aesthetics bother you just put your hand deeper in your pocket

Why should we? That's easy for you to say. Not everyone has money to chuck
away on things like this. Anyway, I just don't like the light quality from
the things. Halogens I like, but not these fluo things. Horrid light!

Unless of course you are making a Jeremy Clarkson point that anything
to do with environment or global warming is a myth to be ignored.

Not a myth, but riddled with bad science and media hype, and with
politicians getting on the bandwagon.

And as always Joe Public is the mug. The amount of energy that could
possibly be saved by private individuals is tiny compared to that wasted by
industry, health, and government institutions. I get to go into all these
sort of places daily and I'm often staggered by the the energy waste.
Private houses only account for 25% of energy use, so the scope for saving
is much less than elsewhere.

Old March 14th 08, 09:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Al" wrote in message
. 4...
Tesco today have them at 1p each limit of 4 per customer.

Overpriced.

If they want me to live in a cheap doctors waiting room or massage
parlour,
have to remove all of my lamp dimmers, put up with the electrical
interference, move my TV so that the excess IR doesn't block my remote,
I'd
still be looking at them paying me to take this garbage off of their
hands.

And if you suffer from migraine?

They don't save that much power either. I used to have one 60W bulb in one
of my bathrooms. When I did the room out I installed two strategically
placed lampholders and put an 11W low energy tube in each. The result was
that the light level was about the same as it was before, and the quality
was very much worse. The tubes only give 60W equivalent light when they're
new. After about 10% of their life the output has dropped significantly. My
bathroom is now gloomy.

Old March 14th 08, 09:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterT

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 22:25:26 -0000, "Bill Wright"
wrote:

"Al" wrote in message
.4...
[...]

Bill

cataracts?
--
Cheers

Peter
Old March 14th 08, 09:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian[_3_]

"David" wrote in message
Tesco today have them at 1p each limit of 4 per customer.

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

In my local Tesco they had a limited stock. One customer was busy having an
argument as he had about 20 of them. Then another customer was going wild
as they were all sold when I went past again.
For 1p they're not even worth it. Slow to go to full brightness and only
last a year.

Old March 14th 08, 10:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Doctor D

"housetrained" wrote in message
news
We had a load given to us. It's as we first thought when my sister tried
them. You can't give them away they are SOOOO bad.

There are some dreadful low energy lamps out there which take ages to warm
up to any acceptable light level. GE and Tesco own brand seem especially
bad, whereas the Philips ones that Robert Dyas are selling for less than 1
are very, very good.

My father in law is going blind and needs at least a 100 watt lamp in his
light fittings, some of which are rated at 60 watt max. After several burned
lampholders and a singed shade or two, I've now got him kitted out with
Philips 18 watt CFL's. He's very happy with the light output, and the quick
start, and there's no longer the worry of him burning the house down when
several are left on all night, every night.

Old March 14th 08, 10:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

wrote:
They don't save that much power either. I used to have one 60W bulb in one
of my bathrooms. When I did the room out I installed two strategically
placed lampholders and put an 11W low energy tube in each. The result was
that the light level was about the same as it was before, and the quality
was very much worse. The tubes only give 60W equivalent light when they're
new. After about 10% of their life the output has dropped significantly.
My
bathroom is now gloomy.

Bill

cataracts?

I think it's things like optic neuritis (spelling?) that cause apparent
darkening of vision. Don't cateracts cause blurring? Anyway, my optician is
very thorough and he says that my only problems are reduced accommodation
due to age, reduced pupil dilation for the same reason, myopia, and severe
astigmatism due to an infection. With glasses none of these matter much and
I actually have really good vision. So, no need for concern.

Old March 14th 08, 10:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Chas Gill wrote:
Tesco today have them at 1p each limit of 4 per customer.

Is this to disguise the fact that they are selling Stella at 16 for 20
pints - despite what they said a few days ago in relation to binge
boozing?

No - the Stella is to disguise the crap light from the cheap bulbs. After
20 pints it looks ok.

--
*Marriage changes passion - suddenly you're in bed with a relative*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.