BBC admits it lied about DOGs on BBC3

Old February 25th 08, 10:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Agamemnon

Default BBC admits it lied about DOGs on BBC3

Thank you for your e-mail.

I note that you continue to object to the DOGs used for the BBC Switch
strand and BBC THREE.

With regards to my colleague's previous response, I apologise for the
outdated information he sent you. The current BBC THREE policy on DOGs is
as follows:

The standard BBC THREE DOG is used for all programming including drama,
films, music and sport. There are just two exceptions to this rule:
1.) For brand new Factual and Entertainment programmes, the "Brand New" DOG
is used.
2.) Occasionally they use a "Live" DOG.

Please be assured that we have registered your additional comments on our
audience log. This is the internal report of audience feedback which we
compile daily for all programme makers and commissioning executives within
the BBC, and also their senior management. It ensures that your points, and
all other comments we receive, are circulated and considered across the BBC.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Regards

Damian Whyte
BBC Complaints

Old February 25th 08, 12:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
ChrisM

In message ,
Agamemnon Proclaimed from the tallest tower:

[...]

Who's the best person to email when complaining about DOGs?
just summat like:
, or does anyone have a name?
Wheras the grey 'transparent' type of DOG doesn't really bother me TOO much,
I must admit that the great purple and white thing now on BBC3 was quite
distracting when I was watching something last night...

--
Regards,
Chris.

Old February 25th 08, 01:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
DAB sounds worse than FM

ChrisM wrote:
[...]

The BBC seemed to change a lot of email addresses to web forms a couple of
years ago, so I'd use the web form instead:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/

Wheras the grey 'transparent' type of DOG doesn't really bother me
TOO much, I must admit that the great purple and white thing now on
BBC3 was quite distracting when I was watching something last night...

DOGs don't usually get to me either, but that BBC3 one is ridiculous.

Beware though, because BBC3 doesn't take kindly to DOG-haters criticising
it:

http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/ar...fequotnbsp.php

"In a world where international terrorism, indiscriminate murder and global
poverty are facts of life, you might think people would have more important
things to worry about than little logos in the top corner of their
television screen," the article opens.
Alas, no. Those little graphics displaying the names of all your favourite
digital channels... are the cause of much consternation among certain
viewers.
Just don't call them geeks who should get a life..."

It's all to do with the unique way the BBC is funded. And remember: It's
your BBC.

The adoption of DAB was the most incompetent technical
decision ever made in the history of UK broadcasting:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/da...ion_of_dab.htm

Old February 25th 08, 01:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Light of Aria

"DAB sounds worse than FM" [email protected] wrote in message
ChrisM wrote:
[...]

Funny you should mention that. I neither care about the quality of radio
services.

Old February 25th 08, 01:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
ChrisM

In message ,
DAB sounds worse than FM [email protected] Proclaimed from the tallest tower:

ChrisM wrote:
[...]

By putting down people in that way who complain about DOGS, they can
diminish those people's opinion I suppose. If is only a few crazy geeks that
need a life who are complaining, then who cares? 'Normal' people like them,
so let's make them as big and colourful and animated as we can, 'normal'
people will love 'em...

In all seriousness though, that's a pretty insulting and patronising, not to
mention immature and dare I say sulky thing to say. Unless of course, it was
meant as a tongue-in-cheek comment and has been take out of context...
Do you have a link to(or a copy of) the original article?

What did interest me is the sentence
"Since receiving the complaints BBC3 has been ordered to make their DOG less
opaque."

Who gave that order? Any chance BBC will take any notice??

Old February 25th 08, 01:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ernst S Blofeld

ChrisM wrote:
Who gave that order? Any chance BBC will take any notice??

The linked-to article refers to events from three years ago.

ESB

Old February 25th 08, 02:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Terry[_2_]

"Steve Wolstenholme" wrote in message
On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 14:03:16 GMT, "DAB sounds worse than FM"
[email protected] wrote:

DOGs don't usually get to me either, but that BBC3 one is ridiculous.
Beware though, because BBC3 doesn't take kindly to DOG-haters criticising
it:

My solution is to not watch BBC3 at all.
Steve

That's already the solution of 95% of the existing viewing public.

Stupid to think the BBC might like to raise that figure rather than lower it
by visually abusing viewers

Steve Terry

Old February 25th 08, 05:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
DAB sounds worse than FM

ChrisM wrote:
[...]

No. I think I saw the quote on Usenet which had a link to the article on the
BBC website, but then by the time I'd written the article probably a day or
two later the quote had disappeared so there was no point in linking to the
page.

What did interest me is the sentence
"Since receiving the complaints BBC3 has been ordered to make their
DOG less opaque."

Who gave that order? Any chance BBC will take any notice??

As someone else has said, the article on my website was from a couple of
years ago when people complained about the DOG last time around.