BBC admits it lied about DOGs on BBC3

Old February 25th 08, 05:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
DAB sounds worse than FM

Default BBC admits it lied about DOGs on BBC3

Steve Wolstenholme wrote:
On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 14:03:16 GMT, "DAB sounds worse than FM"
[email protected] wrote:

DOGs don't usually get to me either, but that BBC3 one is ridiculous.

Beware though, because BBC3 doesn't take kindly to DOG-haters
criticising it:

My solution is to not watch BBC3 at all.

There is the odd bit of decent stuff on like Family Guy, but apart from that
I'd agree with you.

The adoption of DAB was the most incompetent technical
decision ever made in the history of UK broadcasting:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/da...ion_of_dab.htm

Old February 25th 08, 05:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I still do not understand what the point of them is at all. After all, there
is room for some kind of underlying watermarking if its piracy they are
trying to stop, and I'm not convinced that people are really so thick they
cannot tell what channel they are on. Of course I don't see them. I liked
the pun about ht live dog, by the way, at least it made me laugh imagining a
Labrador puppy running around the screen during the news....

Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
Blind user, so no pictures please!
"ChrisM" wrote in message
In message
,
Agamemnon Proclaimed from the tallest tower:

Thank you for your e-mail.

I note that you continue to object to the DOGs used for the BBC Switch
strand and BBC THREE.

With regards to my colleague's previous response, I apologise for the
outdated information he sent you. The current BBC THREE policy on
DOGs is as follows:

The standard BBC THREE DOG is used for all programming including
drama, films, music and sport. There are just two exceptions to this
rule: 1.) For brand new Factual and Entertainment programmes, the "Brand
New" DOG is used.
2.) Occasionally they use a "Live" DOG.

Please be assured that we have registered your additional comments on
our audience log. This is the internal report of audience feedback
which we compile daily for all programme makers and commissioning
executives within the BBC, and also their senior management. It
ensures that your points, and all other comments we receive, are
circulated and considered across the BBC.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Regards

Damian Whyte
BBC Complaints

Who's the best person to email when complaining about DOGs?
just summat like:
, or does anyone have a name?
Wheras the grey 'transparent' type of DOG doesn't really bother me TOO
much, I must admit that the great purple and white thing now on BBC3 was
quite distracting when I was watching something last night...

--
Regards,
Chris.

Old February 25th 08, 05:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Agamemnon

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I still do not understand what the point of them is at all. After all,
there is room for some kind of underlying watermarking if its piracy they
are

Piracy by who? Anyone can rip the DVDs which are completely DOG free.

Other TV stations retransmitting their DOG **** marked rubbish? Are they
sane?

trying to stop, and I'm not convinced that people are really so thick they
cannot tell what channel they are on. Of course I don't see them. I liked
the pun about ht live dog, by the way, at least it made me laugh imagining
a Labrador puppy running around the screen during the news....

Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
Blind user, so no pictures please!
"ChrisM" wrote in message
In message
,

Old February 25th 08, 06:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
DAB sounds worse than FM

Brian Gaff wrote:
I still do not understand what the point of them is at all. After
all, there is room for some kind of underlying watermarking if its
piracy they are trying to stop, and I'm not convinced that people are
really so thick they cannot tell what channel they are on. Of course
I don't see them. I liked the pun about ht live dog, by the way, at
least it made me laugh imagining a Labrador puppy running around the
screen during the news....

I think the idiots (i.e. the marketing people) would say that DOGs provide
"brand awareness enhancement in the multi-channel televisual space", which
translated into human means: they think it helps the kiddies to know what
channel they're up to in the split second before they flick to the next one.

Old February 26th 08, 12:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Edster" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote:
The commercial broadcasters do it to reduce the average intelligence
level of their viewers. The less intelligent the viewers the more
attractive they are to advertisers. I don't know about the BBC, maybe
they just want to drive viewers to BBC1 or something.

I can't follow your logic. How will reducing the number of intelligent
viewers increase the number of unintelligent ones? The average intelligence
is irrelevant. What matters is the absolute number of viewers with the
correct profile.

Old February 26th 08, 07:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Shh, don't say that about dvds, someone may be reading this we don't want to
give them ideas.

So, lets make all programs in the old format ratio, and shove the image
sideways, then you can fill the whole of the rest of the screen with a
really big dog and if you don't want to see it, you can reuse some old
cardboard packaging and cover it up.

Email:

"Agamemnon" wrote in message

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I still do not understand what the point of them is at all. After all,
there is room for some kind of underlying watermarking if its piracy they
are

Piracy by who? Anyone can rip the DVDs which are completely DOG free.

Other TV stations retransmitting their DOG **** marked rubbish? Are they
sane?

trying to stop, and I'm not convinced that people are really so thick
they cannot tell what channel they are on. Of course I don't see them. I
liked the pun about ht live dog, by the way, at least it made me laugh
imagining a Labrador puppy running around the screen during the news....

Brian Gaff -

in the display name may be lost.
Blind user, so no pictures please!
"ChrisM" wrote in message
In message
,

Old February 26th 08, 07:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I particularly love the way the audio description channel on five us says at
the start of a commercial break.

Sorry, there is no audio description on this programme.

Pityit does not say it on programmes with no audio description...Talk about
weird logic at work, With sense like this its hardly surprising that those
shoving dogs all over the place have muddled thinking.

Email:

Old February 26th 08, 09:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart

In article , Brian Gaff wrote:
I particularly love the way the audio description channel on five us says at*
the start of a commercial break.

Sorry, there is no audio description on this programme.

i.e. "Words cannot describe what follows...."

Old February 26th 08, 10:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
ChrisM

In message ,
Edster Proclaimed from the tallest tower:

"Bill Wright" wrote:

"Edster" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote:
The commercial broadcasters do it to reduce the average intelligence
level of their viewers. The less intelligent the viewers the more
attractive they are to advertisers. I don't know about the BBC,
maybe they just want to drive viewers to BBC1 or something.

I can't follow your logic. How will reducing the number of
intelligent viewers increase the number of unintelligent ones? The
average intelligence is irrelevant. What matters is the absolute
number of viewers with the correct profile.

Bill

But it would lower the average IQ of the viewers left behind. That's
what will be attractive to advertisers, not the number of viewers.
There wouldn't be any point advertising lottery tickets or food with
made up magical ingredients to intelligent viewers.

There would be other benefits to the broadcaster too -- they could
have more repeats, more cheap reality shows, they could go to advert
breaks in the middle of a sentence without anyone noticing, they could
cut bits out to make programmes fit their schedule. All without
generating any complaints at all.

But surely it's the NUMBER of viewers that's important. I understand the
point about average IQ, less intelligent people are more likely to be taken
in by advertising, but I still think the advertisers would prefer 1000
viewers of mixed intelligence over 1 total moron...
Anyway, not all advertising targets stupid people. I'm fairly sure that
(say) the new Jaguar car adverts are not aimed at dumbos, though being
wealthy enough to afford a car like that doesn't mean you have to have a
brain I suppose, even so, I can't imagine the target market for a Jag is the
same as the one for (oh.. I dunno...) Fox Bingo (or whatever)!