Virgin V+ STB

Old January 17th 08, 03:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
ChrisM

Default Virgin V+ STB

In message
,
Dr Hfuhruhurr Proclaimed from the tallest tower:

On 17 Jan, 13:57, "ChrisM" wrote:
In message
,
Dr Hfuhruhurr Proclaimed from the tallest
tower:

On 16 Jan, 17:35, "ChrisM" wrote:
In message ,
Sheila Proclaimed from the tallest
tower:

"ChrisM" wrote in message
Noticed there is a selection of Virgin V+ PVR boxes for sale on
eBay. Would I be right in thinking these should not be sold, and
that they remain the property of VirginMedia.

Purely hypothetical now... Given that, if I was tempted to buy
one anyway, would it work as a PVR, would my existing card (I
have a regular (non-PVR) Pace Virgin Digital Cable TV Box)...

--
Regards,
Chris.

You are correct. The boxes are the property of Virgin Media. Your
card should be paired to your VM supplied box, so your card would
not work in an unauthorised box.

Incidentally, when a VM customer pays the current 75 for a V+
box, it is for a lifetime service agreement. The box remains the
property of |Virgin Media at all times and must be returned
should the customer or VM cease the TV service.

That's what I thought, so these boxes being sold on eBay are not
only stolen property, but useless (to their new owners)... !!
:-)

Well if that wasn't a reply from a Virgin Media employee I don't
know what was.

Doc

No, not a VM employee, and if you can't post here without resorting
to such dreadful insults, can I suggest you go elsewhere!! :-))

Sorry didn't mean you I meant that sheila that replied to you. What
was her name?

Ohh, the sheila called Sheila you mean...? :-)
reading back through the thread, I see what you mean. Her reply deffo
sounded like an 'official' one...!

Just trying to work out if I'd be better off buying a V+ box off
eBay for slightly less than paying VM to install one for me...
On balance, I think no(?)

indeed.

Doc

Old January 17th 08, 03:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
ChrisM

In message
,
Dr Hfuhruhurr Proclaimed from the tallest tower:

On 17 Jan, 14:33, "ChrisM" wrote:
In message ,
tony sayer Proclaimed from the tallest tower:

In article

s.com, Dr Hfuhruhurr scribeth thus

"ChrisM" wrote in message
[...]

Well he's quite right unless you have a cable feed for a start then
it'll need authorising... their not going to receive anything off
air..

Chances are that it'll pack up anyway;!...

Well, I've aleady got a cable feed, and a normal (non recording)
Cable Box with a card, but as someone has already said, the card
needs to match the box in order for it all to work(?)

Not true of some other (ahem) boxes available via the
interwebs........

http://www.digital-receiver.co.uk/theboxpvr.htm

Doc

Hmmm, that's quite interesting. Would it work with my standard Virgin Media
setup though?
Could VM detect that I had a non-standard box connected to my cable output,
and threaten nasty things though?

Old January 17th 08, 03:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dr Hfuhruhurr

On 17 Jan, 15:44, "ChrisM" wrote:
In message
,

"ChrisM" wrote in message
[...]

Apparently so, though not strictly Kosher.

Could VM detect that I had a non-standard box connected to my cable output,
and threaten nasty things though?

Might be worth looking through some other AV or cable forums..........

Doc

Old January 17th 08, 04:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
ChrisM

In message ,
Dr Hfuhruhurr Proclaimed from the tallest tower:

On 17 Jan, 15:44, "ChrisM" wrote:
In message
,

"ChrisM" wrote in message
[...]

Well, although it IS interesting, it would cost more to buy that box than to
get an official V+ box, so it's probably not really worth messing about.
Anyway, as things stand at the moment, I can't afford either, so it's all
pretty academic just now anyway... :-)

Old January 17th 08, 04:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dr Hfuhruhurr

On 17 Jan, 16:00, "ChrisM" wrote:
In message ,
Dr Hfuhruhurr Proclaimed from the tallest tower:

On 17 Jan, 15:44, "ChrisM" wrote:
In message
,

wrote:
In message ,
Sheila Proclaimed from the tallest
tower:

"ChrisM" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Well you *do* get all the channels that you don't subscribe to for
free........
But yeah, if you want to stay Kosher, pay your dues.

Doc
Old January 17th 08, 05:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
ChrisM

In message
,

On 17 Jan, 16:00, "ChrisM" wrote:
In message
, Dr
Hfuhruhurr Proclaimed from the tallest
tower:

On 17 Jan, 15:44, "ChrisM" wrote:
In message
,
Dr Hfuhruhurr Proclaimed from the
tallest tower:

On 17 Jan, 14:33, "ChrisM"
wrote:
In message ,
tony sayer Proclaimed from the tallest tower:

In article

s.com, Dr Hfuhruhurr scribeth thus
On 16 Jan, 17:35, "ChrisM"
wrote:
In message ,
Sheila Proclaimed from the
tallest tower:

"ChrisM" wrote in message
[...]

Didn't realise that... so I could get (say) Sky Sports and Sky Movie
channels and other stuff I don't subscribe to...??

Old January 17th 08, 11:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ashley Booth

Mark Carver wrote:

On Jan 16, 5:27 pm, "Sheila" wrote:

Incidentally, when a VM customer pays the current 75 for a V+ box,
it is for a lifetime service agreement. The box remains the
property of |Virgin Media at all times and must be returned should
the customer or VM cease the TV service.

Perhaps VM would like to pop round to my in-laws' house, where their
NTL cable box has been patently waiting to be picked up for almost
three years now.

Get them to send VM an invoice for storage?

--
Ashley
For Windsor Weather see www.snglinks.com/wx
Old January 18th 08, 12:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Sheila wrote:
Incidentally, when a VM customer pays the current 75 for a V+ box, it
is for a lifetime service agreement. The box remains the property of
Virgin Media at all times and must be returned should the customer or
VM cease the TV service.

Twas the same with Ondodgy. I sent them a letter saying I'd charge them
storage if they didn't pick it up. Seems many did. They soon decided it
was best to just forget the idea.

--
*Ever stop to think and forget to start again?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.