Blu-ray - Anyone got a player?

Old January 11th 08, 12:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
widgitt

Default Blu-ray - Anyone got a player?

Dont forget the wireless capabilities of the PS3 as well, if you have
a wireless network at home.
Beware, the newer incarnation of the PS3 seems not to have the memory
card slots and apparently not the same ability to play PS2 games as
the slightly older one, so I am told, but I dont know much. I am only
allowed to get near it on the odd occasion!
Old January 11th 08, 08:24 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dr Hfuhruhurr

On 11 Jan, 00:06, widgitt wrote:
Dont forget the wireless capabilities of the PS3 as well, if you have
a wireless network at home.
Beware, the newer incarnation of the PS3 seems not to have the memory
card slots and apparently not the same ability to play PS2 games as
the slightly older one, so I am told, but I dont know much. I am only
allowed to get near it on the odd occasion!

Yes, the more I read about it the latest 40Gb seems to be incapable of
playing PS2 games.
The 60gb PAL model had software emulation, but the 20Gb & 60Gb NTSC
versions have the PS2 emotion engine (Hardware). Can't find a 60Gb PAL
in the shops for a reasonable price though.

Doc
Old January 11th 08, 09:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On Jan 11, 12:06 am, widgitt wrote:
Dont forget the wireless capabilities of the PS3 as well, if you have
a wireless network at home.

Yes. In fact I can't get a stable connection at all using the wired
LAN port, yet the WLAN is as solid as a rock. Very strange, I'm not
alone it seems from Googling. Latest s/w (V2.01)

For software upgrading I play safe and download to a USB stick using
my PC, and then use that in the PS3 to upgrade.
Old January 11th 08, 05:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
the dog from that film you saw

"widgitt" wrote in message
Dont forget the wireless capabilities of the PS3 as well, if you have
a wireless network at home.
Beware, the newer incarnation of the PS3 seems not to have the memory
card slots and apparently not the same ability to play PS2 games as
the slightly older one, so I am told, but I dont know much. I am only
allowed to get near it on the odd occasion!

ps2 compatibility was crappy to begin with for our models - unlike american
and japanese ones which actually did it in hardware.
sony have openly admitted that they have now totally removed it to encourage
sales of ps3 software.
if you want to play ps2 games you're better off buying a cheap second hand
ps2.

--
Gareth.

That fly... is your magic wand.
http://www.last.fm/user/dsbmusic/

Old January 13th 08, 10:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter

I have the PS3 (60gb)

Blu Ray films are Excellent.
Games I leave to the G/Bairns
I keep trying to get it to go though my computer for streaming but !!!!
Audio off my HD is fine BUT cannot access the drive where my d/l dvd's
clips are stored

Cheers

Pete

In message , Sean Black
writes
In article
,
Mark Carver writes
On Jan 9, 10:57 am, Dr Hfuhruhurr wrote:
On 9 Jan, 10:52, Mark Carver wrote:

It's absolutely fine as a BluRay player, but I'm old fashioned when it
comes to DVD viewing, I press play, sit and watch the film, and then
when it's over press eject and switch off. I don't know how 'good' the
PS3 is for viewing and using 'interactive' features on discs ?

Lemme see. Play. Stop. Eject. Yup, that'll do me. I've got a PS2 at
present for when the kids come over, but would like to cut down the
number of boxes under the TV. Does it plays DVDs too? and old PS/PS2
games?

SD DVDs yes, PS2 Games, yes (there are problems with some games), but
only if it's the 60GB HDD model, NOT the 40 Gig.

Can it be hacked for multi-region SD DVD playback yet? One of the few
advantages of my Samsung. Very tempted to get a PS3 myself and ditch
the Sammy, but if it can't do multi-region it means another box under
the TV.

Or I suppose I could go down the US PS3 route and be covered for both
Ragion A & B Blu Ray.

--
Peter Glover
05 Softail Classic