How to greatly inprove the performance of your LCD or plasma

Old January 7th 08, 02:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

Default How to greatly inprove the performance of your LCD or plasma

Adjust the contrast, brightness, and colour for the most realistic effect.
Usually this will mean setting all three a long way below the manufacturer's
default.

Old January 7th 08, 07:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
housetrained[_2_]

Default How to greatly improve the performance of your LCD or plasma

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Adjust the contrast, brightness, and colour for the most realistic effect.
Usually this will mean setting all three a long way below the
manufacturer's default.

Bill

On this one there are 4 settings; first is what you make it, 2nd is bright
factory set fixed, 3rd is medium factory set fixed, 4th is dim factory set
fixed. We use the bright for sunny daylight viewing the medium for dark room
viewing and the dim for teletext etc. This seems to work quite well. We have
all fiddled with the user one but none of us use it.

--
John the West Ham fan

Old January 7th 08, 08:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan White

See http://windycroft.gt-britain.co.uk/TV_Setup.txt
--
Alan White
Mozilla Firefox and Forte Agent.
Old January 7th 08, 10:05 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
Adjust the contrast, brightness, and colour for the most realistic
effect. Usually this will mean setting all three a long way below the
manufacturer's default.

On my new LCD most of the factory presets give white crushing. The
'maximum' one rather badly so. But that's what the average LCD buyer both
wants and expects.

--
*How about "never"? Is "never" good for you?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old January 7th 08, 10:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dr Hfuhruhurr

On 7 Jan, 02:45, "Bill Wright" wrote:
Adjust the contrast, brightness, and colour for the most realistic effect.
Usually this will mean setting all three a long way below the manufacturer's
default.

"Flog it and buy
Old January 7th 08, 10:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dr Hfuhruhurr

On 7 Jan, 10:25, Dr Hfuhruhurr wrote:
On 7 Jan, 02:45, "Bill Wright" wrote:

Adjust the contrast, brightness, and colour for the most realistic effect.
Usually this will mean setting all three a long way below the manufacturer's
default.

"Flog it and buy

a CRT"

(to complete the post)

Doc
Old January 7th 08, 12:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
bugbear

Dr Hfuhruhurr wrote:
On 7 Jan, 10:25, Dr Hfuhruhurr wrote:
On 7 Jan, 02:45, "Bill Wright" wrote:

Adjust the contrast, brightness, and colour for the most realistic effect.
Usually this will mean setting all three a long way below the manufacturer's
default.

"Flog it and buy

a CRT"

Cool. Can you point me to a 42" diagonal CRT
with geometry (linearity etc) as good as a LCD or Plasma?

There are no perfect TVs (yet?)

BugBear
Old January 7th 08, 12:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dr Hfuhruhurr

On 7 Jan, 12:21, bugbear wrote:
Dr Hfuhruhurr wrote:
On 7 Jan, 10:25, Dr Hfuhruhurr wrote:
On 7 Jan, 02:45, "Bill Wright" wrote:

Adjust the contrast, brightness, and colour for the most realistic effect.
Usually this will mean setting all three a long way below the manufacturer's
default.
"Flog it and buy

a CRT"

Cool. Can you point me to a 42" diagonal CRT
with geometry (linearity etc) as good as a LCD or Plasma?

There are no perfect TVs (yet?)

No but I can point you to a 32" flat screen CRT with near perfect
geometry with far superior contrast, picture quality and natural
movement compared to any LCD or Plasma i've seen using SD input.

Doc
Old January 7th 08, 03:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
bugbear

Dr Hfuhruhurr wrote:
On 7 Jan, 12:21, bugbear wrote:
Dr Hfuhruhurr wrote:
On 7 Jan, 10:25, Dr Hfuhruhurr wrote:
On 7 Jan, 02:45, "Bill Wright" wrote:
Adjust the contrast, brightness, and colour for the most realistic effect.
Usually this will mean setting all three a long way below the manufacturer's
default.
"Flog it and buy
a CRT"

Cool. Can you point me to a 42" diagonal CRT
with geometry (linearity etc) as good as a LCD or Plasma?

There are no perfect TVs (yet?)

No but I can point you to a 32" flat screen CRT with near perfect
geometry with far superior contrast, picture quality and natural
movement compared to any LCD or Plasma i've seen using SD input.

Your careful qualification is noted ;-)

BugBear
Old January 7th 08, 03:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dr Hfuhruhurr

On 7 Jan, 15:39, bugbear wrote:
Dr Hfuhruhurr wrote:
On 7 Jan, 12:21, bugbear wrote:
Dr Hfuhruhurr wrote:
On 7 Jan, 10:25, Dr Hfuhruhurr wrote:
On 7 Jan, 02:45, "Bill Wright" wrote:
Adjust the contrast, brightness, and colour for the most realistic effect.
Usually this will mean setting all three a long way below the manufacturer's
default.
"Flog it and buy
a CRT"
Cool. Can you point me to a 42" diagonal CRT
with geometry (linearity etc) as good as a LCD or Plasma?

There are no perfect TVs (yet?)

No but I can point you to a 32" flat screen CRT with near perfect
geometry with far superior contrast, picture quality and natural
movement compared to any LCD or Plasma i've seen using SD input.

Your careful qualification is noted ;-)

Since I can't see myself moving to HD for a while yet, I want
something that does the best possible with SD until it dies (and being
a 8 year old Philips screen, could be any moment now)

Doc