New Television

Old January 2nd 08, 02:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton

Default New Television

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

If they ever get around to 1080p transmission (or disks) then this would
be better than 720p for fast moving images).

Many (most ?) BluRay and HD-DVD discs are at 1080p.

Transmission of 1080p might have to wait, it consumes twice the bandwidth
of 1080i. Within the studio uncompressed 1080p video interfaces have to
work at almost 3 Gb/s. 1080i at 1.45 Gb/s is a problem in some instances,
you need to apply RF style practice with the video cabling and jackfields
within the studio centres etc. It's all rather a rapid step up from SD
576i at that snail's pace of just 270 Mb/s.

The Beeb's R&D department have done some work recently on compressing
1080p into lower data rates for studio centre use.

--
Mark

If the DVD disks are of films, what is in the alternate frames? (films are
normally shot at 24/25fps).

Old January 2nd 08, 03:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On Jan 2, 3:42 pm, "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

If the DVD disks are of films, what is in the alternate frames? (films are
normally shot at 24/25fps).

HD-DVD and BluRay discs with movies on are normally burnt as 24p.

SD DVDs are 576i (bog standard 625 line interalaced). If they have
movies, the movies are speeded up to 25f/s and odd and even fields are
the same (each half of the interlace).

I'm told that if your display device can't do 24p, then viewing 24p
discs results in a nasty 'stop start' style effect, which makes sence
because something has to fill the gap !
Old January 2nd 08, 03:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
R. Mark Clayton wrote:
the know than me.

Full 1080 HD Televisions is there a certain size of screen that you
have to get or above for full HD, or can you get full HD in most
screen sizes? I didn't want to get something too big, maybe only a 26
or 32" screen size.

Sony do a 1080 at 26" and it is cheap!

Unless I'm mistaken all of Sony's 32 inch and below screens are still 1366
x 768 ?

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProdu... =TV+Projector

--
Mark

I looked at
http://electronics.pricegrabber.co.u...1/search=1080p
which brings up a 26" Sony
further examination showed that while the set would accept 1080 signals the
native resolution was only 1366x768. Sorry!

OTOH Philips do do a 37" one 37PFL7662D/05, however the 7862 is better.
http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/3/3...05_pss_eng.pdf

Still if you buy anything from Sony, you never know what little extras they
might throw in...

Old January 2nd 08, 07:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Farrance

Mark Carver wrote:

HD-DVD and BluRay discs with movies on are normally burnt as 24p.

SD DVDs are 576i (bog standard 625 line interalaced). If they have
movies, the movies are speeded up to 25f/s and odd and even fields are
the same (each half of the interlace).

I'm told that if your display device can't do 24p, then viewing 24p
discs results in a nasty 'stop start' style effect, which makes sence
because something has to fill the gap !

Yes, with 24fps to 25fps conversion, in slow pans you get a slight but
noticeable jolt of the picture once per second, which I find intrusive
enough to spoil the viewing.

Not thought of it before, but that makes the ability to display 1080/24p
pretty much a necessity for full-HD TVs when used with Blu-Ray/HD-DVD
players. Dunno if that's ever mentioned in the specs of the TVs, though.

--
Dave Farrance
Old January 2nd 08, 07:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Dave Farrance wrote:

Yes, with 24fps to 25fps conversion, in slow pans you get a slight but
noticeable jolt of the picture once per second, which I find intrusive
enough to spoil the viewing.

Not thought of it before, but that makes the ability to display 1080/24p
pretty much a necessity for full-HD TVs when used with Blu-Ray/HD-DVD
players.

You're right I think. There's nothing on the inside, or the outside, of my
BluRay disc cases to suggest 24p. It's just that my TV is forced into 1080-24p
when the disc starts playing, I too hadn't really thought about it until then.

Dunno if that's ever mentioned in the specs of the TVs, though.

Sony mention it in their's :-

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.action?product=KDL-40W3000&productsku=KDL40W3000U&site=odw_en_GB&page Type=TechnicalSpecs&imageType=Main&category=TVP+32-40+Sony+BRAVIA+TV#tab

Or:-

http://tinyurl.com/3ceqsa