freeview reception

Old July 23rd 03, 06:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
john

Default freeview reception

I just checked the coverage detail for my area on dtg.org.uk, and
although I maybe have to reposition my aerial (Transmitter choices are
Mendips or Oxford), many channels are still not available (specifically
BBC four and BBC radio 6. Is it just a case of waiting until these
channels are available on local transmitters? Is there anywhere I can
check when this is likely to change?

Also various channels that we would like are available on Mendips but
not on Oxford and visa-versa. Short of running up on the roof and
turning the aerial around every time, is there much that can be done
about this?

Thanks.

--
John (Swindon, UK) _
ICQ# - 16141921 / \ ASCII Ribbon
Old July 24th 03, 11:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter G Sheppard

I just checked the coverage detail for my area on dtg.org.uk, and
although I maybe have to reposition my aerial (Transmitter choices are
Mendips or Oxford), many channels are still not available (specifically
BBC four and BBC radio 6. Is it just a case of waiting until these
channels are available on local transmitters? Is there anywhere I can
check when this is likely to change?

Also various channels that we would like are available on Mendips but
not on Oxford and visa-versa. Short of running up on the roof and
turning the aerial around every time, is there much that can be done
about this?

They're all available from Mendip, whether you can pick them up is another
matter. Ditto for Oxford.

Try a "real" coverage predictor, he
http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?

You'll need to enter your National Grid Reference. This can be found by
entering your postcode into http://www.streetmap.co.uk/ and then clicking
"convert coordinates" on the next page. It's probably listed as LR, and
will be in the format AA123123.

You need a Field strength of around 45dBV/m or more for reliable operation.
Note that this predictor only appears to show the field strengh for the
highest powered mux on the mast.

FWIW, Oxford transmits some channels at 10kW, some at 8kW and some at 6kW.
The second BBC mux (carrying BBC4 and BBCi [701, 702 and 703]), and the SDN
mux (five, some radio stations) are only 6kW. They're also lower down the
mast. Mendip are all 10kW, except SDN, but that's due to be upgraded to
10kW imminently.

You'd probably be better off with a lovely high gain antenna pointing to
Mendip, assuming it's the right ITV region.

HTH

Old July 24th 03, 02:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R W

john wrote:
I just checked the coverage detail for my area on dtg.org.uk, and
although I maybe have to reposition my aerial (Transmitter choices are
Mendips or Oxford), many channels are still not available
(specifically BBC four and BBC radio 6. Is it just a case of waiting
until these channels are available on local transmitters? Is there
anywhere I can check when this is likely to change?

Also various channels that we would like are available on Mendips but
not on Oxford and visa-versa. Short of running up on the roof and
turning the aerial around every time, is there much that can be done
about this?

I remember from when I lived there that TV reception is one of the many
things about Swindon that is abysmal, which is why the cable network was
originally installed some years ago much earlier than in the rest of the
UK. Because of the surrounding hills on most sides of town, many parts
of town are almost completely shielded from the nearest TV transmitters
at Oxford & Mendip.

If you are lucky and have a decent aerial and a reasonable line of sight
to the transmitter you should be able to pull in all the muxes with a
good aerial.

I was pulling in all muxes from Oxford on a Unix 100 mounted in my LOFT
in Northampton, before I had it moved to the roof and pointed to Sandy
Heath, and by my rough guess Northampton is 10 miles or so further from
Oxford than Swindon is ...

Your other alternative to Oxford and Mendip is Hannington, but I'm not
sure what the DTT field strength would be like in Swindon from there....

Old July 24th 03, 03:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Sinclair

john wrote:
I just checked the coverage detail for my area on dtg.org.uk, and
although I maybe have to reposition my aerial (Transmitter choices are
Mendips or Oxford), many channels are still not available (specifically
BBC four and BBC radio 6. Is it just a case of waiting until these
channels are available on local transmitters? Is there anywhere I can
check when this is likely to change?

The coverage is very much dependant on your exact location with
respect to the local hills. I used to live in Old Town which recieved
all channels easily.

I currently reside in the Town Centre which requires a booster for
adequate reception.

What area do you live in?

Andy

Old July 24th 03, 04:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
john

In message , Andy Sinclair
writes
john wrote:
I just checked the coverage detail for my area on dtg.org.uk, and
although I maybe have to reposition my aerial (Transmitter choices are
Mendips or Oxford), many channels are still not available (specifically
BBC four and BBC radio 6. Is it just a case of waiting until these
channels are available on local transmitters? Is there anywhere I can
check when this is likely to change?

The coverage is very much dependant on your exact location with
respect to the local hills. I used to live in Old Town which recieved
all channels easily.

I currently reside in the Town Centre which requires a booster for
adequate reception.

What area do you live in?

Sorry, yes I should have been more specific I'm in the Swindon area, but
acutally I live in Watchfield which is near Shrivenham some 6 or 7 miles
outside of Swindon.

--
John _