Pace Twin freezes

Old July 23rd 03, 10:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roger Wilmut

Default Pace Twin freezes

Apart from the failed recordings problem (which seems better if the box
is on at the start of the recording) I have identified three specific
types of freeze. Oddly, these seem limited to the BBC channels.
Type 1: the picture freezes for about 1 second then runs rapidly through
the missing second to catch up. Quality remains the same. Sound
unaffected.
Type 2: Picture jumps ahead about 1 second and freezes in poorer
quality. Sound unaffected. Picture resumes when the sound catches up.
Type 3: Picture freezes altogether. Sound continues: pressing 'pause' a
couple of times pauses and resumes the sound but does not unfreeze the
picture. To clear it, press stop and then play: programme resumes from
_start_ of freeze.
In all cases running back and playing the same section again does not
repeat the freeze. Comparison of the same section I made in several
cases with a tape from an old OnDigital box showed no problems.

'Cookie's Fortune' from BBC1 last week had a _lot_ of type 2 freezes -
one every 2 or 3 minutes - and three type 3. Other BBC programmes have
had perhaps just one type 1. 'Bonfire of the Vanities' on Channel 5 had
no problems whatever. 'Lawn Dogs' from BBC2 had just one type 1 freeze.

This suggests a problem with the different coding system used by the BBC
(16 or 64QAM, I can't remember which way round it is).

I am holding off discussing this with Pace until I see what the 25th
July download achieves.

--
rfwilmut'at'nospam.yahoo.com
remove the nospam and alter the 'at' to reply (but you knew that already)