BBC Trust may not allow HD on Freeview!

Old September 25th 07, 02:15 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv
DAB sounds worse than FM

Default BBC Trust may not allow HD on Freeview!

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/broadc...StoryID=171339

"Chris Woolard, head of finance, economics and strategy of the BBC Trust
unit, said: "It is a consumer issue. The BBC could launch a four hour
overnight service straight away and people will go out and buy an HD box.
The danger is that following switchover the technology will become redundant
in a digital box depending on where when digital switchover happens where
you live,""

But it's perfectly fine for the BBC to promote DAB and for the BBC
Controller in charge of DAB to go on Radio 4 Feedback and lie that DAB
"isn't in danger of becoming obsolete technology" when in fact it most
definitely bloody is going to be made obsolete!

This Nanny bloody State. What a pathetic country we live in. You can't have
HD because you can't be trusted to have a brain bigger than the size of a
pea because you can't manage your own finances and you won't be able to
figure out whether you can afford more than one HD box.

I HATE ALL BROADCASTERS! They are the most idiotic bunch of clueless fools
you could ever home to come across.

/rant

Old September 25th 07, 02:16 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv
DAB sounds worse than FM

DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:

I HATE ALL BROADCASTERS! They are the most idiotic bunch of clueless
fools you could ever home to come across.

That includes all regulators of broadcasting.

Old September 25th 07, 02:34 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv
Ed

--
Steve -www.digitalradiotech.co.uk- Digital Radio News & Info

The BBC web site spins it differently...

BBC backs HD television service

The BBC Trust has given its provisional backing to the establishment
of a high definition television (HDTV) channel. After a series of
assessments, the body concluded a BBC HDTV channel would offer "high
public value" and cause minimal adverse impact on the market.

However, the channel may be delayed on Freeview to save audiences from
having to buy two new set-top boxes.

The Trust will now consult the public on the proposals before
publishing its final conclusions on 21 November. An HD service has
been proposed for satellite, cable, Freeview and the internet.

Freeview trial
The channel's schedule is expected to draw on programmes from across
the BBC's stations and will not be a replication of BBC One. A trial
version is already running on satellite and cable, and should be
provided on a continuing basis when a service licence is granted, the
trust proposed.

A four-hour service could launch "almost immediately" on Freeview, but
the trust said it is to consult the public on this. Viewers would need
to buy a new set-top box to receive the channel - but, because of
proposed changes in the way Freeview is broadcast, they may have to
upgrade their equipment again when the full, nine-hour service becomes
available.

Proposals about the delivery of a full schedule on Freeview will be
reviewed early next year. The service will be assessed during the
public consultation period, which has already started and will run
until 23 October. The BBC began trialling HDTV last year with the
broadcast of Planet Earth and Bleak House in the format.

A trial of the system using Freeview boxes in November 2006 was deemed
"a success" by four major broadcasters. Channel 4 recently announced
that its output would be made available in HD to users with a
compatible TV set and Sky HD box.

But only programmes which are recorded in HD will be broadcast using
the format.

Old September 25th 07, 02:41 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D.Smith

....snip...

There is also the interesting discussion as to which is better:

1. Delay and then everyone will have SD Freeview and there will be lots of
boxes that need to be replaced when HD starts

2. Go-for-it and then although existing users won't get HD, new users might
actually buy HD-ready Freeview boxes.

The suspicious git in me says "HD boxes will be more expensive and there
will be wailing and nashing of teeth during DSO when people realise they
have to buy a 100UKP HD-ready box (say) and not a 30UKP SD box". But when
HD is offered as an "upgrade" later, people will get conned into spending
the 100UKP anyway.

Paul DS.

Old September 25th 07, 02:44 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Schofield

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
. ..
...snip...

There is also the interesting discussion as to which is better:

1. Delay and then everyone will have SD Freeview and there will be lots of
boxes that need to be replaced when HD starts

2. Go-for-it and then although existing users won't get HD, new users

might
actually buy HD-ready Freeview boxes.

or as I read it

3. The technical specification for the HD delivery will change in a couple
of years so people buying an HD box now would be forced to buy a new one in
2 years time.

--

Paul Schofield

Old September 25th 07, 02:56 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv
DAB sounds worse than FM

DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:
http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/broadc...StoryID=171339

"Chris Woolard, head of finance, economics and strategy of the BBC
Trust unit, said: "It is a consumer issue. The BBC could launch a
four hour overnight service straight away and people will go out and
buy an HD box. The danger is that following switchover the technology
will become redundant in a digital box depending on where when
digital switchover happens where you live,""

And an HD set-top box would NOT be obsolete come digital switchover, because
it would be just the same as any other MPEG-2-only set-top box, so it won't
be able to receive HD channels, but it will be able to receive the SD
channels. So unless they're going to label ALL Freeview boxes in the shops
as being "obsolete after 2012" then they're talking out of their arses.

When I saw the professions of the people on the BBC Trust I knew they'd
screw up all technical stuff, because there are ZERO technical people on the
BBC Trust, and they're ALL bloody media luvvies and lawyers and other people
who think they understand technical issues (oh, we're so clever, we can
understand anything the geeks can do), but the people who decided to adopt
DAB were also the exact same kind of non-technical know-nothings, and they
just thought it would be fine to launch a digital radio system that was
designed in the mid sodding 80s and everything would just be hunky dory. And
now look where that is. Clueless idiots.

Old September 25th 07, 03:01 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv
DAB sounds worse than FM

Paul Schofield wrote:
"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
. ..
...snip...

There is also the interesting discussion as to which is better:

1. Delay and then everyone will have SD Freeview and there will be
lots of boxes that need to be replaced when HD starts

2. Go-for-it and then although existing users won't get HD, new
users might actually buy HD-ready Freeview boxes.

or as I read it

3. The technical specification for the HD delivery will change in a
couple of years so people buying an HD box now would be forced to buy
a new one in 2 years time.

They'll be referring to DVB-T2, which as a standard hasn't been completed
yet but it's going to be used to enable HD on DTT. And the HD DTT boxes you
can buy today just support MPEG-4 video.

Have they not heard of sticky things called labels? You normally put them on
boxes to tell people something or other, like BUY ONE GET ONE FREE. I used
to work at a supermarket many years ago, and that label normally gets
noticed, so why the fk they can't put a label on an HD DTT set-top box
saying that it won't be able to receive HD after DSO God only knows.

Old September 25th 07, 03:16 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv
DAB sounds worse than FM

Ed wrote:
On Sep 25, 3:16 pm, "DAB sounds worse than FM" [email protected] wrote:
DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:

I HATE ALL BROADCASTERS! They are the most idiotic bunch of clueless
fools you could ever home to come across.

That includes all regulators of broadcasting.

--
Steve -www.digitalradiotech.co.uk- Digital Radio News & Info

The BBC web site spins it differently...

They would...

BBC backs HD television service

The BBC Trust has given its provisional backing to the establishment
of a high definition television (HDTV) channel. After a series of
assessments, the body concluded a BBC HDTV channel would offer "high
public value" and cause minimal adverse impact on the market.

However, the channel may be delayed on Freeview to save audiences from
having to buy two new set-top boxes.

It's five years until digital switchover will be completed. It's ridiculous.

If they're going to broadcast HD to regions that have switched over then
that would be different, but they've not said that, and Ofcom has said that
we're not going to get it until 2012, so I think they're just Nannying us
all again.

The Trust will now consult the public on the proposals before
publishing its final conclusions on 21 November. An HD service has
been proposed for satellite, cable, Freeview and the internet.

And the Internet!!!!! Only yesterday I was saying that we'd get BBC HD via
the Internet by the end of the decade, and I got a whole host of people
telling me how fking wrong I was and that superfast broadband will take
50-100 years to become widespread. Luddite fools.

A four-hour service could launch "almost immediately" on Freeview, but
the trust said it is to consult the public on this. Viewers would need
to buy a new set-top box to receive the channel - but, because of
proposed changes in the way Freeview is broadcast, they may have to
upgrade their equipment again when the full, nine-hour service becomes
available.

Oh gosh. The end of the world is nigh.

Old September 25th 07, 03:51 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv
Ben

Ed wrote:
The BBC web site spins it differently...

....and what a lovely picture they've chosen;
Mmmm, letterboxed *and* pillarboxed - nice ;-)

Apparently there's a name for this - windowboxed;
Old September 25th 07, 04:26 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv
Ivan

"DAB sounds worse than FM" [email protected] wrote in message
[...]

Meanwhile in 1964 things could have been a whole lot worse if we had
listened to the so called experts back then!

"The Sub-Group had before it considerable evidence of trials and experiments
undertaken by Administrations and by members of the European Broadcasting
Union and by the Radio industry. These results covered all aspects of a
public colour television service-the design of studio equipment-magnetic
tape recorders-radio transmitters-problems of propagation-and receivers. The
delegates also had the opportunity to participate in a number of
demonstrations of the three systems. N.T.S.C., SECAM and PAL. "

"The view of United Kingdom experts, as endorsed by the Television Advisory
Committee, is that, taking all factors into account, the N.T.S.C. system is
better than the other two systems. The United Kingdom delegation at the CCIR
meeting, therefore, pressed for its adoption. However, the majority of the
European Administrations represented at the meeting felt they needed time
for further study of the problem."

" The future policy to be adopted in this country will now be reviewed in
the light of these discussions; the Television Advisory Committee, on which
the broadcasting authorities, the radio industry and Government Departments
are represented, are to meet in March to formulate their advice to the
Postmaster General."