Winterhill East or west??

Old July 22nd 03, 07:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Gordon

Default Winterhill East or west??

I live in south Cumbria so am I receiving E or W signals from winter hill, I
need to know which band aerial to be buying to receive all the mux's

Cheers

--
See ya

Gordon
To reply take 'the_dog' out. Anti spam measures in force

Old July 23rd 03, 12:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bryan Jones

"Gordon" wrote in message
I live in south Cumbria so am I receiving E or W signals from winter hill,

need to know which band aerial to be buying to receive all the mux's

I am told when buying a new aerial for digital TV to buy Wideband.

F.Y.I. Winter Hill 'B' only carries Digital Muxes 'C' and 'D' and is
directed towards Wales - Channels 43 and 40.

Winter Hill main transmitter carries 'C' and 'D' on 60 and 63. (along with
the other 4 muxes on 56,66,68 and 67.)

Freeview boxes will tell you which one you are picking up (should be the
main assuming Winter Hill is your transmitter).

Old July 23rd 03, 06:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
547

Hello,

Well I can't get the multiplex that carries Channel 5 from Winter Hill, it's
quite annoying! The one with ITV on it goes a bit funny from time to time.
Loads of radio channels but breakup on a lot of other channels in Wirral
despite a line of sight with Winter Hill, decent antenna and coax. I have
always had the same problem, whenever bad weather is on the way the signal
will break up. Some days the signal is just not there!
I have tried a wideband antenna and also a grid type. It's unfortunate I
can't get the local Storeton transmitter, the power is far too low at around
20watts.

Geoff.

Old July 23rd 03, 07:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bryan Jones

"547" wrote in message
Hello,

Well I can't get the multiplex that carries Channel 5 from Winter Hill,

it's
quite annoying! The one with ITV on it goes a bit funny from time to

time.
Loads of radio channels but breakup on a lot of other channels in Wirral
despite a line of sight with Winter Hill, decent antenna and coax. I have
always had the same problem, whenever bad weather is on the way the signal
will break up. Some days the signal is just not there!
I have tried a wideband antenna and also a grid type. It's unfortunate I
can't get the local Storeton transmitter, the power is far too low at

around
20watts.

Geoff.

Good news, Geoff
The Mux that carries Channel 5 was increased in power yesterday (Mux 'A' on
68).
Rescan or store channels on your box and I bet you will get it now.

Unfortunately it employs the same transmission method as the ITV one (Mux
'2' on 66).
So will be prone to break up to the same degree as you currently suffer on
ITV.

I found that a continuous run of satellite grade cable from aerial to box
solved my problems with break-up. (I assume from your post that the aerial
is on the roof and has line of sight to Winter Hill).

Bryan

Old July 23rd 03, 09:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
A J Hodnett

F.Y.I. Winter Hill 'B' only carries Digital Muxes 'C' and 'D' and is
directed towards Wales - Channels 43 and 40.

Winter Hill main transmitter carries 'C' and 'D' on 60 and 63. (along with
the other 4 muxes on 56,66,68 and 67.)

Freeview boxes will tell you which one you are picking up (should be the
main assuming Winter Hill is your transmitter).

Hmm... Interesting!

I'm in South Cheshire and I receive Winter Hill (Main) with the following
signal strength..

Ch 56 Signal A tad under 3 on the green bar (Not very scientific I
know!)
Ch 60 Signal 2.75
Ch 66 Signal 2.5
Ch 67 Signal 2.6
Ch 68 Signal 2.5

After reading your post I checked the following muxes on WH B

Ch 40 Signal 2.5
Ch 43 Signal 2.5

I did a store channels again to see if I got extra channels (in the 800
region) and did not.
What is transmitted on these channels and is it worth getting them somehow?

Tony

---

Old July 24th 03, 06:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bryan Jones

[...]

43 and 60 are the same (Mux 'C')
40 and 63 are the same (Mux 'D')
Your box knows they are duplicates and ignores the duplicate.
You are not missing out on anything.
Be thankful that you are not receiving from Moel-y-Parc! (Please note that
this is a joke, people in N-W England adore the Welsh).

Bryan

Old July 24th 03, 09:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
M. J. Powell

In message , Bryan Jones
writes
[...]

I'm also in Cheshire. I have 2 aerials, one on WH and one on M-y-P, two
feeders then a combiner. If I go digital will it be necessary for me to
separate the feeders?

Mike
--
M.J.Powell
Old July 24th 03, 10:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bryan Jones

[...]

I have no practical knowledge of this situation but the way I understand the
set-top boxes to work is :
The M-y-P muxes will be the first found so BBC 1 Wales, BBC 2 Wales etc.
will be allocated channels 1,2 etc. on your box.
When the WH muxes are scanned the box should put the extra channels from WH
Mux 1,2 and A (for example BBC 1, BBC2, Granada) in an area such as the
800's or similar.
You can then renumber channels to your personal choice.

If your M-y-P signal is weak then just the WH muxes will be found (and vice
versa)
Borrow a box and try it.

Bryan

Old July 25th 03, 11:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
M. J. Powell

In message , Bryan Jones
writes

snip

[...]