OT - Dragons' Den Standby Saver

Old August 8th 07, 08:28 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ben

Default OT - Dragons' Den Standby Saver

kim wrote:
Don't mention Dragon's Den to me. The *******s wouldn't even consider my
idea of ejector seats for helicopter pilots.

That's probably because Kamov already has the market sewn up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamov_Ka-50
Old August 8th 07, 08:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ben

DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:
Indeed - otherwise it would be a perpetual motion machine.

The fashionable term now is 'over unity', so its OK to believe in them
again. Doh!
Old August 8th 07, 08:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Wolstenholme

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 09:01:59 +0100, "Ron" wrote:

Just use the on/off switch instead.
Far easier and when the switch is OFF it uses no power. Standby is a waste
of time on any equipment.

It's useful for some disabled people like me who have difficulty
getting to the equipment on/off switch but can use the remote.

Steve

Old August 8th 07, 08:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Linker3000" wrote in message
DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:
Does anybody know how the Standby Saver worked that was featured on
Dragons' Den?

The website for it and what it claims to do is he

http://www.standby-saver.co.uk/stand...r_products.htm

Presumably the device uses less power when on standby than a TV set does
when on standby.

Old August 8th 07, 08:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_2_]

On 08/08/2007 09:28, Ben wrote:

That's probably because Kamov already has the market sewn up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamov_Ka-50

I'm willing to bet that if you've got to the point of needing to bail
out of a helicopter it seems like an *eternity* waiting for the delay
between ejecting the blades and ejecting the seat :-)
Old August 8th 07, 08:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_2_]

On 08/08/2007 09:01, Ron wrote:

Standby is a waste of time on any equipment.

Waste of money maybe, but presumably the time saved in walking across
the room /is/ the reason for popularity?

Old August 8th 07, 09:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart

*
The website for it and what it claims to do is he
*
http://www.standby-saver.co.uk/stand...r_products.htm
*

[...]

Holy carp - I was building electronic switches like these for PCs in the*
mid-late 1980s to turn off the monitor when it sensed that the base unit*
was powered down - this was before monitors could sense this for*
themselves and when PC manufacturers stopped putting a secondary socket*
on the PSUs for the monitor.

I was going to build something like this too, until I discovered you could buy
something ready made and almost as good in Maplins. Their "intelligent" mains
splitter (see details on www.oneclickpower.co.uk) doesn't completely disconnect
the mains supply, but in a computer or hi-fi system with several separately
powered items, it can reduce the number of items normally left in standby, and
there's nothing to stop you switching off at the wall as well if you want to. It
certainly isn't a new idea.

Old August 8th 07, 09:12 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart

In article , Bill Wright wrote:
The website for it and what it claims to do is he

http://www.standby-saver.co.uk/stand...r_products.htm

Presumably the device uses less power when on standby than a TV set does*
when on standby.

It will certainly use less power on standby than a TV set plus Freeview box
plus CD player plus FM tuner plus SCART switch plus whatever else I've
forgotten on standby. And it will also use less power on standby than a
computer monitor plus scanner plus loudspeaker unit plus two printers etc
on standby. And if your computer is set to hibernate after several hours
you can safely forget to switch it off when you go on holiday, knowing that
the majority of mains transformers associated with it will eventually be
safely disconnected by means of airgaps.

Old August 8th 07, 09:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
larkim

On Aug 8, 9:01 am, "Ron" wrote:
Report it to ASA if you're SO bothered. Just use the on/off switch instead.
Far easier and when the switch is OFF it uses no power. Standby is a waste

My washing machine actually draws a current when it is "off". It is a
10 year old Candy, and just has a simple on/off switch on the front.
We bought one of those inline plug devices for measuring the power
consumption of various household devices (not accurate I know, but
gives us some ball park ideas) and my wife noticed that (unlike every
other device in our house) it continued to draw a small amount of
powere even when switched off. So now she turns it off at the plug as
well.

Matt

Old August 8th 07, 09:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
DAB sounds worse than FM

Ben wrote:
DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:
Indeed - otherwise it would be a perpetual motion machine.

The fashionable term now is 'over unity',

Never heard of that term, to be honest.