Freeview: Picture break up on ITV1 and C4

Old July 22nd 03, 03:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin Smith

Default Freeview: Picture break up on ITV1 and C4

Just got back from 2 weeks leave and find that just these 2 channels only
are getting frequent picture break up that was not there before. All other
channels are fine

I have a regular aerial cable but this has always worked fine apart from the
occasional passing unsupressed(and MOT'ed I guess) car which causes the
usual clicks and squares

Anyone know if anything changed or have the same problem

Thx

Old July 28th 03, 01:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Clews

Thus spake Robin Smith unto the assembled multitudes:
Just got back from 2 weeks leave and find that just these 2 channels only
are getting frequent picture break up that was not there before. All other
channels are fine

I have a regular aerial cable but this has always worked fine apart from the
occasional passing unsupressed(and MOT'ed I guess) car which causes the
usual clicks and squares

Anyone know if anything changed or have the same problem

I get picture and sound breakup on just about every channel, and have done
in the two years I've had my digibox, although some channels seem worse
than others and some days are worse than others. I only live 6 miles from
the transmitter so I'm wondering if it's just a crap Philips digibox.
Sometimes the breakup is so bad that I have to "reboot" the digibox (hence
my feeling that it's the 'box that's to blame). Other times I just give up
and go back to the analog signal. I'm glad it's now a free service because
I'd have cancelled my subscription by now.

--
Andy Clews University of Sussex Computing Service
(Remove DENTURES if replying by email)

Old July 28th 03, 03:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ronald Marlowe

"Andy Clews" wrote

........" I only live 6 miles from the transmitter so I'm wondering if it's
just a crap Philips digibox".....................

I have one of these, Andy. Often been plagued with regular picture breakup,
sound squarks, etc, which I'd always put down to my living outside the
"official" Freeview area.

BUT, both my Hauppauge and my Nebula cards - fed from the same antenna as
the PhilipsSTB - almost *always* produce 100% immaculate results, leading
to the conclusion that the Philips itself is the weak link. These boxes were
of a "first generation" design. Newer models (using Setpal chips, etc) will
probably provide better pictures. Persevere!

Ron.

Old July 28th 03, 07:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott

"Andy Clews" wrote in message
[snip]he transmitter so I'm wondering if it's just a crap Philips digibox.
Sometimes the breakup is so bad that I have to "reboot" the digibox (hence
my feeling that it's the 'box that's to blame). Other times I just give

up
and go back to the analog signal. I'm glad it's now a free service

because
I'd have cancelled my subscription by now.

What makes you say Philips is 'crap'? I thought all the boxes were fairly
similar internally and that Philips was as good as any. Or do you just
think it trendy to use the word 'crap' in print?

Scott

Old July 29th 03, 08:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin Smith

Thanks for all the replies. Here is waht I deduced:

1) Yes there is a tree in line of sight but the signal should clip just over
the top, its difficult to tell exactly
2) The old man spent a week around my place when away and messed about with
the TV connection

I have 2 ferrite cores connected close to the box input and these had been
moved, so weaker signals were now very poor. I re-adjusted and its all fine
again. Interestingly I had to switch poles(didnt think they had poles
but...) to make it work perfect

The only wierd thing is that before I got the cores I got the occasional
break up like everyone but never as bad as this so the signal has degraded
for sure(maybe the tree) since then

Thanks

Old July 30th 03, 03:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin Smith

Good point about the growth and radio. I'll get the council to chop it down
!

"Paul Ratcliffe" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 21:31:26 +0100, M. J. Powell
wrote:

In message [email protected], Robin Smith
writes
Thanks for all the replies. Here is waht I deduced:

1) Yes there is a tree in line of sight but the signal should clip just

over
the top, its difficult to tell exactly

The tree will grow......

And radio line of sight is not the same thing as visual line of sight.
You need more clearance for radio waves.