Slightly OT - ITV Local on the web problem

Old July 30th 07, 08:17 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Albert

Default Slightly OT - ITV Local on the web problem

Not sure where else to pose this one, and at least it is about TV in a
digital form !

I am being denied access to the ITV Local news videos because the site
believes me to be outside the UK.

I have checked my IP address (79.64.XX.XXX) with
http://whatismyipaddress.com/ and it consistently shows a UK location
(nowhere near where I am, but in the UK).

Can anyone suggest what migh be causing this? (or a better place to ask?)

I Have e-mailed ITV, but they have yet to reply.

Old July 30th 07, 08:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D.Smith

"Albert" wrote in message ...
Not sure where else to pose this one, and at least it is about TV in a
digital form !

I am being denied access to the ITV Local news videos because the site
believes me to be outside the UK.

I have checked my IP address (79.64.XX.XXX) with
http://whatismyipaddress.com/ and it consistently shows a UK location
(nowhere near where I am, but in the UK).

Can anyone suggest what migh be causing this? (or a better place to ask?)

I Have e-mailed ITV, but they have yet to reply.

You need to check with your ISP as well as ITV. An IP address could be
anywhere but I believe there are various lists that the TV companies check
and perhaps your e-mail address isn't on the right one.

Paul DS.

Old July 30th 07, 09:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 09:42:58 +0100, "Paul D.Smith"
wrote:

"Albert" wrote in message ...
Not sure where else to pose this one, and at least it is about TV in a
digital form !

I am being denied access to the ITV Local news videos because the site
believes me to be outside the UK.

I have checked my IP address (79.64.XX.XXX) with
http://whatismyipaddress.com/ and it consistently shows a UK location
(nowhere near where I am, but in the UK).

Can anyone suggest what migh be causing this? (or a better place to ask?)

I Have e-mailed ITV, but they have yet to reply.

You need to check with your ISP as well as ITV. An IP address could be
anywhere but I believe there are various lists that the TV companies check
and perhaps your e-mail address isn't on the right one.

The 79.64.0.0/16 subnet is registered to Tiscali UK Limited. The
cause of your problem is nothing to do with your email address (a Web
server doesn't know the email address of someone connecting to it).

Only ITV can say why they're rejecting you. It's possible that
they're deciding on the basis of the route between them and you. You
could try doing a traceroute on the path to their Web server and see
if Tiscali are routing your packets ouside the UK.

Mike.

Old July 30th 07, 12:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Albert

"Mike" wrote in message
ton.net...

You could try doing a traceroute on the path to their Web server and
see if Tiscali are routing your packets ouside the UK.

Thanks. Could you explain how I would do that please.

I have tried

tracert http://www.itvlocal.com

in the Command box

and it was not recognised.

I do not know their IP address.

Old July 30th 07, 12:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns

just drop the http://

Old July 30th 07, 01:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Albert

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
On 30/07/2007 13:37, Albert wrote:

I have tried
tracert http://www.itvlocal.com

just drop the http://

OK, it comes back with:

Tracing route to a369.g.akamai.net [213.200.110.89]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 34 ms 31 ms 31 ms lo98.sc-acc-bras-1.as9105.net [212.74.102.1]
2 31 ms 31 ms 31 ms 10.72.4.123
3 31 ms 30 ms 31 ms 10.72.4.126
4 31 ms 31 ms 31 ms ge-4-0-0.lon11.ip.tiscali.net
[213.200.77.73]
5 93 ms 46 ms 46 ms so-4-0-0.par77.ip.tiscali.net
[213.200.82.218]
6 46 ms 46 ms 46 ms 213.200.110.89

Trace complete.

Can someone interpret that for me and say where it goes please - it is
pretty meaningless to me.

Old July 30th 07, 01:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson

In message , Albert writes

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
On 30/07/2007 13:37, Albert wrote:

I have tried
tracert http://www.itvlocal.com

just drop the http://

OK, it comes back with:

Tracing route to a369.g.akamai.net [213.200.110.89]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 34 ms 31 ms 31 ms lo98.sc-acc-bras-1.as9105.net [212.74.102.1]
2 31 ms 31 ms 31 ms 10.72.4.123
3 31 ms 30 ms 31 ms 10.72.4.126
4 31 ms 31 ms 31 ms ge-4-0-0.lon11.ip.tiscali.net
[213.200.77.73]
5 93 ms 46 ms 46 ms so-4-0-0.par77.ip.tiscali.net
[213.200.82.218]
6 46 ms 46 ms 46 ms 213.200.110.89

Trace complete.

Can someone interpret that for me and say where it goes please - it is
pretty meaningless to me.

FWIW, I get:

Traceroute to: www.itvlocal.com
IP address: [194.217.240.71]

1: [194.159.161.35] anchor-hg-4-lo100.router.demon.net
( 35 ms) ! ( 25 ms) ! ( 30 ms) !
2: [194.159.161.193] anchor-access-4-s156.router.demon.net
( 27 ms) ! ( 29 ms) ! ( 25 ms) !
3: [194.159.161.82] anchor-inside-4-g6-0-3.router.demon.net
( 24 ms) ! ( 27 ms) ! ( 29 ms) !
4: [193.195.25.45] park-inside-4-g6-0-0.router.demon.net
( 30 ms) ! ( 33 ms) ! ( 30 ms) !
5: [194.217.240.71]
( 29 ms) !E ( 29 ms) !E ( 30 ms) !E
Stopped: destination reached

Notably, the IP address is different.
However, I don't understand things either.
--
Ian.
Old July 30th 07, 01:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Angus Rae

Ian Jackson wrote:
Notably, the IP address is different.
However, I don't understand things either.

That would be expected; it looks like itvlocal.com is hosted by Akamai
(they do distributed hosting, so rather than the content being on one
"itvlocal.com" server, it's actually duplicated on dozens if not
hundreds of Akamai servers; which one you actually get depends on which
network you are on and what route your packets take).

From a trawl around the site it appears that they have no concept of
support addresses. However, under the "Feedback" button on whatever
region you are using there's an address given; the original poster might
want to try " if they can't even get onto the site
at all. Just tell them that you are in the UK, your ISP is Tiscali,
include a traceroute to www.itvlocal.com, and say that you are being
geo-blocked when you shouldn't be. Hopefully that will make it through
to someone who can fix it.

--
Angus G Rae Science & Engineering Support Team
Computing Services
Old July 30th 07, 02:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Parker

Hi,

Albert wrote:

OK, it comes back with:

Tracing route to a369.g.akamai.net [213.200.110.89]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 34 ms 31 ms 31 ms lo98.sc-acc-bras-1.as9105.net [212.74.102.1]
2 31 ms 31 ms 31 ms 10.72.4.123
3 31 ms 30 ms 31 ms 10.72.4.126
4 31 ms 31 ms 31 ms ge-4-0-0.lon11.ip.tiscali.net
[213.200.77.73]
5 93 ms 46 ms 46 ms so-4-0-0.par77.ip.tiscali.net
[213.200.82.218]
6 46 ms 46 ms 46 ms 213.200.110.89

Trace complete.

213.200.77.73 & 213.200.82.218 are listed in Ripe as Tiscali in
Dreieich, Germany. Looks like Tiscali are sending some uk traffic to
Germany and back to the UK as another poster suggested but would this
alter things seeming that the orignal IP address is in the UK?

Pete

Old July 30th 07, 03:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D.Smith

213.200.77.73 & 213.200.82.218 are listed in Ripe as Tiscali in
Dreieich, Germany. Looks like Tiscali are sending some uk traffic to
Germany and back to the UK as another poster suggested but would this
alter things seeming that the orignal IP address is in the UK?

Pete

It's possible that ITV are spotting this and stopping someone from
redirecting via a local server to Germany.

Actually it's probably that Tiscali haven't bothered to register the OT
(actually Tiscali UK's block of IP addresses) on whatever list ITV checks.
Doing a traceroute would not work for ITV normally as most endpoints use
DHCP assigned by their ISP thus can "move" periodically.

Paul DS.