Interruption of Programme Endings

Old July 25th 07, 11:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian

Default Interruption of Programme Endings

I've seen it all now.

Tonight on "True Stories: Tracking Down Maggie" on More4, there was a
voice-over promoting programmes coming up.

Nothing unusual about that these days, you might think, but this one was
during the show, with a half hour to go.

Nick Broomfield's commentary was faded out for about 30 seconds to
accommodate this promo.

I wonder if it was a cock-up, or an indication that the broadcasters
contempt has reached new heights.
--
Ian
Old July 25th 07, 11:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
AJM

"Ian" wrote in message
news
I've seen it all now.

Tonight on "True Stories: Tracking Down Maggie" on More4, there was a
voice-over promoting programmes coming up.

Nothing unusual about that these days, you might think, but this one was
during the show, with a half hour to go.

Nick Broomfield's commentary was faded out for about 30 seconds to
accommodate this promo.

I wonder if it was a cock-up, or an indication that the broadcasters
contempt has reached new heights.
--
Ian

I have seen this happen on several occasions. It suggests that the
continuity messages are pre-recorded and that somewhere a human being has
pushed the relevant button but at the wrong time. A chimpanzee would
probably do a better job at the control panel. I find the practice of
reducing programme and film credits to half-screen size, thereby making them
illegible really winds me up particularly when I want to see the name of an
actor. It would be interesting to know if the sale conditions laid down by
the producers do not preclude the curtailment of the credits.

AJM

Old July 26th 07, 12:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Agamemnon

"AJM" wrote in message

"Ian" wrote in message
[...]

And the mother ****ers wonder why people are watching less and less TV and
changing channels more often. If they want you to watch the next show then
stop plying ****ing programme trailers for 5 minutes before its starts.
Mutilating the tiles of the programme before is not going do your stations
reputation or audience approval ratings any good. These mother ****ers
haven't even realised, or rather seem to have forgotten to even tell us what
the evenings programmes schedule is in the first place, so how the **** do
they expect you to tune in to watch something at 10:30 when the only tell
you the name of the programme on after Eastenders at 7:30. Idiots the lot of
them.

AJM

Old July 26th 07, 06:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Zathras

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 00:40:54 +0100, "AJM"
wrote:

I have seen this happen on several occasions. It suggests that the
continuity messages are pre-recorded

Some are..there are fully automated channels out there.

and that somewhere a human being has
pushed the relevant button but at the wrong time.

and/or a complex automation system (sometimes referred to as
"Omnibust") has thrown a wobbly. It appears to be fairly tricky to get
it back on course quickly and easily once it's gone astray.

A chimpanzee would probably do a better job at the control panel.

I can see the logic but..no..the automation systems are too complex
these days.

I find the practice of
reducing programme and film credits to half-screen size, thereby making them
illegible really winds me up particularly when I want to see the name of an
actor. It would be interesting to know if the sale conditions laid down by
the producers do not preclude the curtailment of the credits.

I think they need to be 'displayed'. However, it is widely felt in the
industry that only insiders are interested in credits so Presentation
Trail departments feel it's ok to goose them.

As a boy, I used to see if I could read the credits that scrolled so
fast you couldn't read them (unless you recorded them and played them
back in slo-mo).

Old July 26th 07, 07:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

In message , AJM
writes
I have seen this happen on several occasions. It suggests that the
continuity messages are pre-recorded and that somewhere a human being has
pushed the relevant button but at the wrong time. A chimpanzee would
probably do a better job at the control panel. I find the practice of
reducing programme and film credits to half-screen size, thereby making them
illegible really winds me up particularly when I want to see the name of an
actor. It would be interesting to know if the sale conditions laid down by
the producers do not preclude the curtailment of the credits.

Take a look here, it may explain a few things.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/commissioning/credits/

Old July 26th 07, 07:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns

On 26/07/2007 00:40, AJM wrote:

I find the practice of
reducing programme and film credits to half-screen size, thereby making them
illegible really winds me up particularly when I want to see the name of an
actor. It would be interesting to know if the sale conditions laid down by
the producers do not preclude the curtailment of the credits.

I think the commisioning conditions now specify the credits must be in a
format "suitable" for shrinking ...
Old July 26th 07, 09:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Light of Aria

"AJM" wrote in message

"Ian" wrote in message
[...]

I agree entirely.

It's not just the production credits.

I *need* the thinking time and wind down time to manage my mind.

I like a short piece of closing music to do this.

I hate ****s who shout at me when I want to be left to my thoughts for a
mere 30 seconds.

Old July 26th 07, 10:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Zimmy

"Ian" wrote in message
news
I've seen it all now.

Tonight on "True Stories: Tracking Down Maggie" on More4, there was a
voice-over promoting programmes coming up.

Nothing unusual about that these days, you might think, but this one was
during the show, with a half hour to go.

Nick Broomfield's commentary was faded out for about 30 seconds to
accommodate this promo.

I wonder if it was a cock-up, or an indication that the broadcasters
contempt has reached new heights.

Drive me crazy too!
The worst I've seen was Last Man Standing on BBC3 then the blue banner of
the next program came up right over the subtitles at the climax of the show.
I've still no idea what the tribe chief said! Completely idiotic.

Almost as bad, is ITV where the voiceover on the credits to some
(occasionally) powerful or moving drama, says something like "Ooh, scary
stuff!" or something before announcing what's coming up.

Old July 26th 07, 02:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
mike

"AJM" wrote in
:

I find the
practice of reducing programme and film credits to half-screen size,
thereby making them illegible really winds me up particularly when I
want to see the name of an actor.

This drives me nutty, too.

And when production companies try to beat it by prevandalising their own
titles down to half screen width, the BBC especially (the worst of the
thugs) now immediately goes to a screen advertising 4 different programmes,
each occupying about an eigthth of the screen, the rest odf which is red!!

The BBC should be the first company to be done away with, especially as not
too long ago they were the best - at least for principled broadcasting.

I now dread each BBC junction, and swich over before all the trails, with
about 4 minutes of 1 second frequency intercuts, make my eyes and head
go all unnecessary. Adverts are far less thuggish

mike
Old July 26th 07, 02:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
mike

"Light of Aria" wrote in
:

It's not just the production credits.

I *need* the thinking time and wind down time to manage my mind.

I like a short piece of closing music to do this.

I hate ****s who shout at me when I want to be left to my thoughts for
a mere 30 seconds.

My worst recent example was when one of the charaters in "Neighbours"
died of a cerebral summat, and the event was shown from his point of
view.

The sound gradually widened and faded, his view of the scene (family and
friends in a garden) widened, zoomed out, and faded to white.

It was very effective, and far superior to what we usually ecpect from a
soap.

But within one or at most two seconds, the vision had been crashed and
the maniacal tart was shouting at us in incomprehensible Scotch (the only
fully approved BBC language).

It was revolting

mike