Television Headset Connecting

Old July 20th 07, 03:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mick Cant

Default Television Headset Connecting

Hi all,
I could not find a direct group so hoped someone could point me to
one,
or hopefully be able to suggest something.

I live in a block of flats, that has such a noise problem that I use
headphones nearly all the time to be able to
listen to my TV and not other peoples.

I currently have a Samsung LCD TV set, with a 20" screen.
I have sent it back to Samsung once to have the headphone lead connector
repaired because it fail,
But it is now faulty again, and I cannot get any sound at all with the
headphone disconnected and have to keep twisting it with them connected.

I have asked in our local TV supply shops, if there are any TV sets with a
more robust heavy duty headphone connector for continual use, but have not
had any success.
Would anyone know if such a set is made, I am happy to have any make of TV.
Thanks for reading,
Mick.

Old July 20th 07, 04:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Schofield

"Mick Cant" wrote in message
[...]

Now quite what you asked, but have you thought of using wire free
headphones. This would mean that the headphone socket should not be
constantly under tension from a lead. However this is very much 'in
principle' as I can't say that I've ever used these devices. I'm sure others
here will be able to give more input.

CPC have several types ranging considerably in price

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/br...?N=411+1000446

--
Paul

Old July 20th 07, 04:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham W

Paul Schofield wrote:
"Mick Cant" wrote in message
[...]

Alternatively, you could get a short lead with corresponding plugs/sockets
and use the remote end to do the plugging and unplugging. Then the
set end would only see occasional use and if the other end fails it will
be easy to get it fixed.

Graham W http://www.gcw.org.uk/ XP1800+ Page added, Graphics Tutorial
WIMBORNE http://www.wessex-astro.org.uk/ Wessex Astro Society's Website
Dorset UK Info, Meeting Dates, Sites & Maps

Old July 20th 07, 05:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Graham W" wrote in message
Paul Schofield wrote:
"Mick Cant" wrote in message
[...]

Suggest you connect to the scart socket and buy a little amplifier/volume
control gadget.

Old July 21st 07, 11:08 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
widgitt

If you buy a pair of cordless headphones there are three ways to
connect them to the TV. If the TV has two phono sockets for audio out,
this is the best way. The output is normally independent of the
setting of the volume control of the TV and the headphones have their
own volume control.

The second way is to use a scart adaptor, best plugged into scart
socket 2, which has three phono sockets on the back of it. (get an
adaptor with a small slide switch on it which selects whether it is
for input or output). Connect the headphones to it as above, ignoring
the yellow socket which is for video. (You may have to go into the TV
menus and tell it to output its signal from Scart 2)

The final way, which is not really as good, is to get the headphone
socket fixed (a local TV repairer should be able to do this fairly
easily) which will also restore the sound from the TV speakers, and
then connect the cordless phones to that socket. This is not really as
good as the TV volume control affects the output from that socket, and
you end up with 2 volume controls.

Personally I still quite like Infra red cordless phones rather than RF
(radio) ones as you dont have a tuning control on the phones to have
to fiddle with when it gets knocked off setting, but they are
becomming a bit less common. I suspect they cost a little more to
make. RF ones, however will transmit through walls, if you want to
wander about with them on.

Hope this helps.

Old July 22nd 07, 01:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
KID UNKNOWN

On Jul 20, 4:44 pm, "Mick Cant" wrote:
[...]

Hi Mick
you live in flats you say. well cordless headphones arnt the
answer.the interferance youll pick up from above & below would do your
head in.What i would do is go to your local currys or dixons etc and
pick yourself up a cheap audio system for surround sound.you can
pickup a set of 4 with a base station and subwoofer for around 30
quid.there so easy to install you can use scart or phono leads (scart
best) then try and place the speeckers in corners of room not too
high.the wall nearest your tv are best set high but pointing into the
middle of the room. The other 2 place at about head hight when seated
in corners is ideal.Sound is a great blocker of nuecense noise and it
doest have to be on loud. Setting up the way in which ive surgested
creates 4 walls of sound all around you creating a sound wave that
will block out outside noise as long as the 4speakers are pionting
towards the room floor and to the center of your floor.or
alternatively you could ask the niosy nieghbours to keep the noise
down.theres certain rules for noise or activities when in flats.good
lusk and give it a go youll be surprised.you shouldnt have to go to
such lengths just to watch your tv. setting up this system,if they
**** you off too much you can crank up the volume on your set up and
show them what noise really is.hope this was usefull

Old July 22nd 07, 05:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
widgitt

cordless headphones arnt the
answer.the interferance youll pick up from above & below would do your
head in.

Infra red cordless headphones are imune to outside interference from
other flats etc as they work on modulated infra red light not radio
signals.

Old July 25th 07, 03:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mick Cant

"widgitt" wrote in message
ps.com...
If you buy a pair of cordless headphones there are three ways to
connect them to the TV. If the TV has two phono sockets for audio out,
this is the best way. The output is normally independent of the
setting of the volume control of the TV and the headphones have their
own volume control.

Hi all, thanks for the help, my TV does have two phono sockets for audio
out,
And I do have some Sennheiser RS10 Cordless headphones I bought recently but
the only connector with them was to the normal audio out socket
(which is what is faulty on mine)
I will see if I can get the necessary kit.
Mick.