Annoying semi-letterbox format on main freeview channels

Old July 15th 07, 06:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dr Zoidberg

Default Annoying semi-letterbox format on main freeview channels

Boltar wrote:
On 15 Jul, 17:35, "the dog from that film you saw"
wrote:
of course it chops the sides off - the shows are filmed in
widescreen so if you dont want them that way how else are they
supposed to make them 4:3.

They could broadcast 4:3 signals or was that too obvious a solution?

And 4:3 signals have just had the sides chopped off by the broadcasters.

just try finding a 4:3 tv on sale in the shops - digital tv has been
widescreen for years.

Well that'll be ****ing useful when analogue switches off. Are we all
supposed to fork out for a widescreen set or just watch a picture that
effectively reduces the size of our screens by a third?

As has been pointed out , you can just set the decoder to display a 4:3
image

--
Alex

"I laugh in the face of danger. Then I hide until it goes away"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Old July 15th 07, 06:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Prometheus

In article .com,
Boltar writes
On 15 Jul, 17:30, "Dr Zoidberg"
wrote:
surprised if the majority of households don't have a widescreen set for at
least their main TV.

Are you for real? I don't know a single person who owns a widescreen
TV. Where do you live , Sloane Square?

Where do you get the idea that only Sloane Rangers can afford 180 GBP
for a 28" wide-screen TV? Perhaps you 'think' that the only wide-screen
TVs are 42" "HD (not quite) ready" IDTV plasma TVs, you would be
mistaken!
--
Ian G8ILZ
There are always two people in every pictu the photographer and the viewer.
Old July 15th 07, 06:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Prometheus

In article .com,
Boltar writes
wrote:
of course it chops the sides off - the shows are filmed in widescreen so if
you dont want them that way how else are they supposed to make them 4:3.

They could broadcast 4:3 signals or was that too obvious a solution?

Then they would be chopping the sides off. And whilst we are at it; we
can dispense with the wasteful colour, it takes more bandwidth and TX
power; as for 625 lines, it's far, far too much, all you need is 30!!

just try finding a 4:3 tv on sale in the shops - digital tv has been
widescreen for years.

Well that'll be ****ing useful when analogue switches off. Are we all
supposed to fork out for a widescreen set or just watch a picture that
effectively reduces the size of our screens by a third?

No, you could always chop off the extra bits at the side which you
didn't have before, and when your TV wears-out replace it with something
made for the 21st century.

Old July 15th 07, 07:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Boltar

On 15 Jul, 19:23, "Dr Zoidberg"
wrote:
Boltar wrote:
On 15 Jul, 17:30, "Dr Zoidberg"
wrote:
surprised if the majority of households don't have a widescreen set
for at least their main TV.

Are you for real? I don't know a single person who owns a widescreen
TV. Where do you live , Sloane Square?

Hello Half-wit.

I only know two people that don't have a widescreen

You should share that fascinating fact next time your down at Henley
swilling the champers in the Bentley what what old chap.

B2003

Old July 15th 07, 07:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

wrote:
of course it chops the sides off - the shows are filmed in widescreen so if
you dont want them that way how else are they supposed to make them 4:3.

They could broadcast 4:3 signals or was that too obvious a solution?

You really are clueless, is being thick a hobby of yours.

If they were to 'broadcast 4:3' they would simply be chopping the sides
off!

just try finding a 4:3 tv on sale in the shops - digital tv has been
widescreen for years.

Well that'll be ****ing useful when analogue switches off. Are we all
supposed to fork out for a widescreen set or just watch a picture that
effectively reduces the size of our screens by a third? Oh , but
wait , I forgot the digital switchover is all about money and the
people who have it and has sod all to do with making life better for
most of the population.

B2003

You could just put up with 4:3 centre-cut-out or watch films or non- 4:3
or 14:9 safe material in letterbox and get used to the better ratio.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/NGN-use-by-GPs
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/signage
Old July 15th 07, 07:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Rumm

Boltar wrote:
On 15 Jul, 16:39, "Adrian A" wrote:
Why should everyone else put up with 4:3 just to suit you?

Who's everyone else? That tiny tiny percentage of people who have
widescreen compared to the vast majority of the population who have
standard TVs?

I prefer to watch the stuff in the intended aspect ratio, even on a 4:3.
I would much rather see the whole frame, rather than worry about a bit
of blank screen.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old July 15th 07, 07:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 10:17:55 -0700, Boltar wrote:

On 15 Jul, 17:30, "Dr Zoidberg"
wrote:
surprised if the majority of households don't have a widescreen set for at
least their main TV.

Are you for real? I don't know a single person who owns a widescreen
TV. Where do you live , Sloane Square?

B2003

I don't know a single person who doesn't have a widescreen TV.

I bought mine back in 1997.

Old July 15th 07, 08:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dr Zoidberg

wrote:
surprised if the majority of households don't have a widescreen set
for at least their main TV.

Are you for real? I don't know a single person who owns a widescreen
TV. Where do you live , Sloane Square?

B2003

I don't know a single person who doesn't have a widescreen TV.

I bought mine back in 1997.

Mine was in 1999 , paid for from the windfall I got when Centrica bought The
AA

Old July 15th 07, 08:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dr Zoidberg

Boltar wrote:
On 15 Jul, 19:23, "Dr Zoidberg"
wrote:
Boltar wrote:
On 15 Jul, 17:30, "Dr Zoidberg"
wrote:
surprised if the majority of households don't have a widescreen set
for at least their main TV.

Are you for real? I don't know a single person who owns a widescreen
TV. Where do you live , Sloane Square?

Hello Half-wit.

I only know two people that don't have a widescreen

You should share that fascinating fact next time your down at Henley
swilling the champers in the Bentley what what old chap.

Well , technically Bentley is now part of the VW group as is Skoda , so
perhaps my Octavia is a relative of the Bentley

Old July 15th 07, 08:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

wrote:
surprised if the majority of households don't have a widescreen set
for at least their main TV.

Are you for real? I don't know a single person who owns a widescreen
TV. Where do you live , Sloane Square?

B2003

I don't know a single person who doesn't have a widescreen TV.

I bought mine back in 1997.

Mine was in 1999 , paid for from the windfall I got when Centrica bought The
AA

I got mine 55% off the usual shop price (which was less than the RRP,
though we know that RRPs are loaded, so shops can knock money off), I think
they made a mistake as the price they were selling it for was pretty low,
it was a display model, but they were selling me the pro-logic version yet
the details they had were for a non-pro-logic version.