Recommendations for good quality RF modulator wanted.

Old July 13th 07, 01:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

Default Recommendations for good quality RF modulator wanted.

"Mark" wrote in message
DVD recorder went south, the replacement model has no RF modulated
output, so I'm looking for a replacement stand-alone modulator device
for the wired-up TVs around the house. Mono sound will do, but
user-selectable TV channel is required.

Are they much of a muchness (e.g. Maplin would do) or can anyone
recommend something to choose/avoid?

Far far better than the Maplin product is the Vision V40. This is a DSB
modulator that does everything you want and more besides. We use hundreds of
them in a year and find them very reliable and stable. Output level, audio
level, audio RF level, system, video gain, etc are all adjustable.They are
about 28 + tax from Satellite Solutions and other places.

Make sure you get the mains powered one.

Old July 13th 07, 02:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Bill Wright" wrote in message

"Mark" wrote in message
DVD recorder went south, the replacement model has no RF modulated
output, so I'm looking for a replacement stand-alone modulator device
for the wired-up TVs around the house. Mono sound will do, but
user-selectable TV channel is required.

Are they much of a muchness (e.g. Maplin would do) or can anyone
recommend something to choose/avoid?

Far far better than the Maplin product is the Vision V40. This is a DSB
modulator that does everything you want and more besides. We use hundreds
of them in a year and find them very reliable and stable. Output level,
audio level, audio RF level, system, video gain, etc are all
adjustable.They are about 28 + tax from Satellite Solutions and other
places.

Make sure you get the mains powered one.

Bill

It's this:

http://www.satsol.co.uk/ProductDetai...?itemno=A89149

Old July 13th 07, 02:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns

On 13/07/2007 15:00, Bill Wright wrote:

It's this:

http://www.satsol.co.uk/ProductDetai...?itemno=A89149

I wish I'd seen you recommend those before ...
Old July 13th 07, 03:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham

This is a DSB modulator that does everything you want...

.... apart from outputting VSB(?)
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Old July 13th 07, 03:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D.Smith

This is a DSB modulator that does everything you want...
... apart from outputting VSB(?)

Can you tell the unitiated the difference please? Use small words ;-).

Paul DS.

Old July 13th 07, 05:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Mark" wrote in message
SatSol seems to be trade only and the sites for the other named
suppliers are a bit impenetrable. Any advice?

Hmm . . .

If there's a Sat Sol branch near you just walk in and pay cash. Or ring a
few local installers or CCTV experts and offer cash. Failing that if you
send me 28 + Vat I'll put you one in a jiffy bag.

Old July 13th 07, 05:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Graham" wrote in message

This is a DSB modulator that does everything you want...

... apart from outputting VSB(?)
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Well, that WAS a profound observation . . .

Old July 13th 07, 05:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
. ..
This is a DSB modulator that does everything you want...

... apart from outputting VSB(?)

Can you tell the unitiated the difference please? Use small words ;-).

Paul DS.

DSB ones totally snarl up the adjacent lower channel. VSB ones don't.
Adjacent is a rather long word meaning 'next door'.

Old July 13th 07, 11:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Mark" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 18:54:18 +0100, "Bill Wright"
wrote:

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
t...
This is a DSB modulator that does everything you want...
... apart from outputting VSB(?)

Can you tell the unitiated the difference please? Use small words ;-).

Paul DS.

DSB ones totally snarl up the adjacent lower channel. VSB ones don't.
Adjacent is a rather long word meaning 'next door'.

Which I guess is mainly of use if you are trying squeeze in a
distribution service among many other channels, else you choose a
"quiet" channel range away from local broadcasts (say). Correct?

Are the modulators in domestic equipment of the cheaper DSB type?

DSB modulators are much cheaper. The vast majority of the modulators used
for domestic applications are DSB. DSB modulators are also widely used for
hotel (etc) systems. The advantages of VSB modulators a
1. They allow adjacent channel use.
2. They are (not inherently but actually) very stable and the video and
audio quality is very good.
3. The fact that no lower sideband is present allows (all things being
equal) almost 4dB more output from and broadband amplifier carrying a number
of modulator outputs.

Most VSB modulator manufacturers say that the output is so clean, with so
little out-of-channel ****e (a technical term) that the outputs of a whole
rack of them can be combined using nothing more than U links. This means of
course that any noise they do produce is added together. Since three-stage
passive channel filters are not expensive I always ignore the manufacturers
and feed each modulator through one of these before combining. It only costs
about 12 per channel which is peanuts.

If you click on
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/Commsdissys.htm
and then double click on the middle one of the little pictures you can see a
set of VSB modulators.

Old July 13th 07, 11:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns

On 14/07/2007 00:31, Bill Wright wrote:

http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/Commsdissys.htm

Looks like the webmistress has been busy since I last looked, but you
might want to have mention to her some breakage at

http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/ourwork.html