Aerial loop through puzzle

Old July 12th 07, 11:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
AnthonyL

Default Aerial loop through puzzle

Originally I had analogue

Aerial - VCR - TV and all worked fine

Just put in a STB so the connection is now:

Aerial - Grundig GDT2000 - VCR - TV

If I use the TV tuner (analogue) I don't get BBC1 but I do get all the
others (BBC2, ITV, Ch4 and 5).

The digital signal is a bit "iffy" on some channels but that is most
likely because I need a new aerial but why shouldn't I get BBC1?

--
AnthonyL
Old July 12th 07, 11:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D.Smith

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
Originally I had analogue

Aerial - VCR - TV and all worked fine

Just put in a STB so the connection is now:

Aerial - Grundig GDT2000 - VCR - TV

If I use the TV tuner (analogue) I don't get BBC1 but I do get all the
others (BBC2, ITV, Ch4 and 5).

The digital signal is a bit "iffy" on some channels but that is most
likely because I need a new aerial but why shouldn't I get BBC1?

Does the GDT2000 have a modulator and if so is it set to the same, or
almost, frequency as BBC1? Alternatively, what happens if you do
aerial/GDT2000/TV?

Paul DS.

Old July 13th 07, 12:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
AnthonyL

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 13:29:04 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Lurch
writes
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 11:37:27 GMT, lid (AnthonyL)
mused:

Originally I had analogue

Aerial - VCR - TV and all worked fine

Just put in a STB so the connection is now:

Aerial - Grundig GDT2000 - VCR - TV

If I use the TV tuner (analogue) I don't get BBC1 but I do get all the
others (BBC2, ITV, Ch4 and 5).

The digital signal is a bit "iffy" on some channels but that is most
likely because I need a new aerial but why shouldn't I get BBC1?

You shouldn't suddenly stop getting one analogue channel altogether. You
haven't got the GTD2000 modulator RF output channel set to the same
channel as the off-air BBC1, have you?

Thank you. I've turned off the modulator on the GTD2000 and now BBC
is working. Can you clarify what the "modulator" is actually doing?
Is it taking the digital RF signal and converting it analogue? And if
I turn it off it is just doing pass-through?

The TV's Channel 0 was tuned to the VCR RF output. The GTD2000 was
set to Modulator Channel 22. There is nothing in the documentation or
on the TV that tells me what TV Channel 0 (too many uses of the word
Channel) or VCR RF output were set to but I'm using SCART so
presumably it doesn't matter?

--
AnthonyL
Old July 13th 07, 01:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns

On 13/07/2007 13:55, AnthonyL wrote:

I've turned off the modulator on the GTD2000 and now BBC
is working. Can you clarify what the "modulator" is actually doing?

yes, as you suspected it takes whichever digital channel the STB is
tuned to and converts it to analogue for sets without SCART.

The GTD2000 was set to Modulator Channel 22.

Often ch36 is used by default with modulators (may or not be a good
choice depending on factors such as what frequency Channel Five uses in
your neck of the woods)

I'm using SCART so
presumably it doesn't matter?

Correct

--
Statistics are like a bikini, what they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital - Aaron Levenstein.
Old July 13th 07, 01:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
AnthonyL

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 14:01:45 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

On 13/07/2007 13:55, AnthonyL wrote:

I've turned off the modulator on the GTD2000 and now BBC
is working. Can you clarify what the "modulator" is actually doing?

yes, as you suspected it takes whichever digital channel the STB is
tuned to and converts it to analogue for sets without SCART.

The GTD2000 was set to Modulator Channel 22.

Often ch36 is used by default with modulators (may or not be a good
choice depending on factors such as what frequency Channel Five uses in
your neck of the woods)

I'm using SCART so
presumably it doesn't matter?

Correct

Getting there slowly //) Thanks for the clarification.

--
AnthonyL

Old July 13th 07, 02:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D.Smith

After all of this it's interesting to know that this box has a modulator. A
while ago I needed such a box for my elderly neighbours who have a
SCART-less TV. I eventually found an old Sagem on eBay but next time I'll
watch out for this one too.

Paul DS.