TV License Evasion

Old July 2nd 03, 03:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton

Default TV License Evasion

"Bill Bennett" wrote in message
So, a friend of mine is going to Uni this year, he wants to watch telly in
his dormroom.

Probably the best way is to get a TV card and insert it in a PC.

Insert a high pass filter in the aerial socket so the IF (what the detectors
looks for) doesn't leak out. Make sure the PC has metal case.

This has a number of advantages: -

Low output of IF so harder to detect.
Faraday cage around tuner.
Doesn't look like a TV.
Instantly changes to non TV use.
TV card easily removed in the event of a serious visit.
PC can also be used as time shift VCR.
PC can also be used for academic work.
One less box in what are normally tiny rooms.

What are the chances TV-L will come and kick his ass if he doesnt pay?

What if he has a real TV (which he covers up if the detectors come round),
and fobs them off with a little battery powered handheld TV (which would

be
covered under his parents license?)

I'm Bill... and I sell stuff at www.daio.co.uk

Old July 2nd 03, 07:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Stuart

"Stephen Peterson" wrote in message
When I worked at a Uni - we were informed that it was an offence for any
student not to have a licence, if they had a TV or even a PC card. The
Libarian who was in charge of all broadcast licences eg off air programme
recording etc, had notificication from the TV licence people that they
would, could and did raid the campus. Interestingly until about 1990 one

tv
licence covered the whole of the residencies - similar in principle to the
Hotel licence but this changed so students could still get a knock on the
door at two am!

Times are sad. I was at Uni at the time (as Bill Clinton confirms) you could
get high by just inhaling the atmosphere. We also ran pirate radio and a few
other things which are not strictly legal or would be tolerated even by us
in another time and place.

But raided by the Police - they would never have dreamt of it - they would
never have succeeded. Indeed even the Fire Brigade had to beat a retreat
when they turned out to put out a fire (just part of a protest). No - our
first 15 could never win a University match but they could take out any
paramilitary death squad with ease ;-)

Perhaps the supine lot at Uni today are the reason they let the government
tax education. Still if the students are going to save me paying more
taxes - then they can jolly well subsidise my viewing too!!!!

--
Stuart

Old July 2nd 03, 07:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy

I know my local computer shop has a notice behind the counter
reminding customers and staff that tv tuner cards sold will require
address info to send to the authorities for liscencing purposes

I'm Bill... and I sell stuff at www.daio.co.uk

Old July 2nd 03, 11:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jaime

I know my local computer shop has a notice behind the counter
reminding customers and staff that tv tuner cards sold will require
address info to send to the authorities for liscencing purposes

They're required to obtain *an* address, yes. Its up to you of course
what address you decide to give them

Brian

Despite having a TV licence i was getting about 5 letters a year once
asking if I had one.
When I purchased a satellite recieiver I decided that may generate
more requests so when asked for an address had one prepared.

Happened to be in Donnybrook, Dublin ROI.

I wonder if RTE got a licence reminder.
A Student could plausibly say Trinity college.

Why not simply fill in the address for TV licensing which is probably
printed on the form. They would probably even end up sending themselves
letters.

Jaime

Old July 3rd 03, 12:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave

Jaime writes
Why not simply fill in the address for TV licensing which is probably
printed on the form. They would probably even end up sending themselves
letters.

LOL! I wonder if they would then visit themselves too...?

--
Dave
Old July 3rd 03, 08:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
KingStew

What happens when buying online, as I dont recall the vendor stating that
details will be passed to TV Licensing.

Jaime

Generally when buying online one requires the items to be delivered.

To an address! :-)

Old July 3rd 03, 08:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jaime

What happens when buying online, as I dont recall the vendor stating

that
details will be passed to TV Licensing.

Jaime

Generally when buying online one requires the items to be delivered.

To an address! :-)

Yes but how can they pass on my details to the licensing if they dont ask my
permision, without violating the data protection act?

Jaime

Old July 4th 03, 01:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave

Jaime writes
Yes but how can they pass on my details to the licensing if they dont ask my
permision, without violating the data protection act?

I would have thought it was a 'disclosure required by law' under section
35(1) DPA 1998.

--
Dave