Calculate your carbon footprint

Old July 23rd 07, 06:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.legal,uk.misc,alt.global-warming
Bill Wright

Default Calculate your carbon footprint

"Mike_B" wrote in message
In message , Roderick Stewart
writes
In article , Altheim wrote:
Population growth is almost entirely due to immigration

How do you explain that the population of the entire world is
constantly rising? Do you seriously believe that everybody else is
propagating like bunnies, but not us?

Rod.

Aliens

Go and push a cucumber through the vicar's letterbox and shout 'The aliens
are coming!"

Old July 23rd 07, 08:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.legal,uk.misc,alt.global-warming
Cynic

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 17:35:41 GMT, JAF
wrote:

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 17:20:39 +0100, Cynic wrote:

Read some decent books.

I already do that, thanks. Though not as much as I used to.

You should. Like some more up-to-date ones, for instance.

Such as? Do you think that I can do anything at all that would make
the slightest difference?

--
Cynic

Old July 23rd 07, 08:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.legal,uk.misc,alt.global-warming
Bill Ward

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 16:47:26 +0100, Cynic wrote:

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 15:00:00 GMT, JAF
wrote:

Population is (eventually) self-limiting. There will no doubt be some
pretty nasty times when that point is reached. But not only can I do
nothing about it whatsoever, but it is unlikely to affect either myself
or my children.

Not so much complacency, then, as indifference.

Apart from wringing my hands and beating my chest, what do you suggest I
should be doing instead?

You could always organize awareness-raising concerts.

Old July 23rd 07, 10:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.legal,uk.misc,alt.global-warming
Roderick Stewart

In article , Rich wrote:
I still have a problem understanding how that is supposed to explain a*
steady growth in population *everywhere*.

Did someone make a claim about *everywhere*?

Isn't the population incresaing everywhere then?

The excess people can't*
always be from "somehere else" - somebody must be producing them*
somewhere, so who are they?

For the bulk of it you might want to research India and China, at least
if your question is about world population.

Do you seriously believe that everybody else is*
propagating like bunnies, but not us?
Oddly, reports are the immigrant mexican women have more children
on average than they have at home in mexico.

*
Does that mean more pregnancies or simply more children who survive?*
There's a very simple explanation if it's the latter.

The article said that immigrant mexican women chose to have more children
than they did in mexico, it made no mention of the death rate in mexico.

I wonder if they choose to have more children in the USA because they feel
that it is safer to do so than in Mexico? I'll admit this is pure
supposition - or to put it more scientifically, a "hypothesis" - but given
the relative standards of living in Mexico and the USA, probably quite a
realistic one. It would certainly need eliminatiing (if it can be
eliminated), before we would be justified in jumping to any conclusions
about the relative fecundity of Mexicans and Americans.

Old July 24th 07, 08:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.legal,uk.misc,alt.global-warming
Cynic

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:30:56 -0700, Bill Ward
wrote:

Apart from wringing my hands and beating my chest, what do you suggest I
should be doing instead?

You could always organize awareness-raising concerts.

If there was any money left over after I have taken my "expenses",
where should I send it so it would make any difference?

--
Cynic

Old July 24th 07, 04:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.legal,uk.misc,alt.global-warming
Bill Ward

wrote:

Apart from wringing my hands and beating my chest, what do you suggest
I should be doing instead?

You could always organize awareness-raising concerts.

If there was any money left over after I have taken my "expenses", where
should I send it so it would make any difference?

Don't cynics have pockets?