Cheap second-hand Sky digibox in London?

Old June 13th 07, 11:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Cuzman

Default Cheap second-hand Sky digibox in London?

I've just moved into a shared flat for a few months over the summer.
Freeview reception is lacking a couple of major multiplexes, but there
is also a dormant coaxial cable leading outside to the top of the
building. I'm told that the guy who recently stayed in this room had a
Sky Digital subscription for some time, and that the dish and connection
should still be working fine (as it still was last month).

So, I'm going to try and find a cheap Sky Digital receiver which I can
pick up in London today or tomorrow to get the FTA channels. Sure you
can pick them up on eBay easily, but everyone's already out each day by
the time the post comes. It will be so much easier to go out and buy one
myself. Does anyone have any recommendations where I can go? Also, does
anyone have a link to the latest list of FTA channels?

TIA
Old June 13th 07, 12:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D.Smith

"Cuzman" wrote in message
I've just moved into a shared flat for a few months over the summer.
Freeview reception is lacking a couple of major multiplexes, but there is
also a dormant coaxial cable leading outside to the top of the building.
I'm told that the guy who recently stayed in this room had a Sky Digital
subscription for some time, and that the dish and connection should still
be working fine (as it still was last month).

So, I'm going to try and find a cheap Sky Digital receiver which I can
pick up in London today or tomorrow to get the FTA channels. Sure you can
pick them up on eBay easily, but everyone's already out each day by the
time the post comes. It will be so much easier to go out and buy one
myself. Does anyone have any recommendations where I can go? Also, does
anyone have a link to the latest list of FTA channels?

TIA

Where in London are you? Have you tried rescanning? If you're receiving
from Crystal Palace, then you shouldn't have problems with missing Muxes as
they're all in the same group A (same as the analogue channels).

Paul DS.

Old June 13th 07, 12:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Cuzman

Paul D.Smith wrote:

" Where in London are you? Have you tried rescanning? If you're
receiving from Crystal Palace, then you shouldn't have problems with
missing Muxes as they're all in the same group A (same as the analogue
channels). "

I'm in Islington, my postcode apparently being 12km from Crystal Palace.
The block I live in is only four storeys high, and it seems that some
recent construction nearby has blocked the line of sight to the
transmitter.

Where I used to live about 1km away I could get every Freeview multiplex
except Mux 2, and now I have even less. Both places received from
Crystal Palace.

Yes, I've tried rescanning. I have an SLX2 aerial amplifier attatched
to my Topfield TF5800, but it's still close to hopeless. Analogue
reception is also pretty crap too. That's why I'm thinking of picking
up a Sky Digital box without subscription for the few months I will be here.
Old June 13th 07, 01:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D.Smith

"Cuzman" wrote in message
Paul D.Smith wrote:

[...]

I see. Some have suggested looking to see whether you can receive a
reflection off a building off-line. Can you see Canary Wharf because that
bounces quite a nasty signal up the Lee Valley?

Paul DS

Old June 13th 07, 01:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Schofield

"Cuzman" wrote in message
I've just moved into a shared flat for a few months over the summer.
Freeview reception is lacking a couple of major multiplexes, but there
is also a dormant coaxial cable leading outside to the top of the
building. I'm told that the guy who recently stayed in this room had a
Sky Digital subscription for some time, and that the dish and connection
should still be working fine (as it still was last month).

Just a thought, have you actually checked the previous bloke hasn't actually
take the dish as well?

Paul

Old June 13th 07, 04:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton

"Cuzman" wrote in message
I've just moved into a shared flat for a few months over the summer.
Freeview reception is lacking a couple of major multiplexes, but there is
also a dormant coaxial cable leading outside to the top of the building.
I'm told that the guy who recently stayed in this room had a Sky Digital
subscription for some time, and that the dish and connection should still
be working fine (as it still was last month).

So, I'm going to try and find a cheap Sky Digital receiver which I can
pick up in London today or tomorrow to get the FTA channels. Sure you can
pick them up on eBay easily, but everyone's already out each day by the
time the post comes. It will be so much easier to go out and buy one
myself. Does anyone have any recommendations where I can go? Also, does
anyone have a link to the latest list of FTA channels?

TIA

Why not buy an el cheapo FTA box from Aldi or similar. IIRC $ky only do 12
month deals and they never stop taking payment unless you write recorded
delivery (although they might cut you off).

Old June 14th 07, 07:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On 13 Jun, 12:51, Cuzman wrote:
I've just moved into a shared flat for a few months over the summer.
Freeview reception is lacking a couple of major multiplexes, but there
is also a dormant coaxial cable leading outside to the top of the
building. I'm told that the guy who recently stayed in this room had a
Sky Digital subscription for some time, and that the dish and connection
should still be working fine (as it still was last month).

So, I'm going to try and find a cheap Sky Digital receiver which I can
pick up in London today or tomorrow to get the FTA channels. Sure you
can pick them up on eBay easily, but everyone's already out each day by
the time the post comes. It will be so much easier to go out and buy one
myself. Does anyone have any recommendations where I can go? Also, does
anyone have a link to the latest list of FTA channels?

TIA

Perhaps try loot, or else look on ebay and search by nearest rather
than ending soonest. If you can find one that's close by and with a
reasonable buy it now price, then go for that. You will need a FTV
card (or an expired viewing card) in order to get C4 and the Five
channels (if they are of interest) Also not if you go down the FTA
Receiver route as suggested by another poster, then youcan't get these
channels on that.