Choices for recording radio and FTA to PC?

Old July 21st 03, 07:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Aztech

Default Choices for recording radio and FTA to PC?

"Stephen" wrote in message

1. DVB-S or DVB-T?
I am not sure which would give better bitrates etc. Which is recommended
(given that I have a dish, spare LNB etc already)?

The BBC radio services on both DVB-S and DVB-T come from the same coder, so it
makes no difference, however I would go for DVB-s given that BBC TV is
marginally better (BBC Two at least), plus you have a wider selection of radio
and the odd worthy FTA TV channel. You also have the option of adding an offset
LNB for 19e and possibly 13e, this will bring in various European stations.

2. Set-top box or PCI card?
I think the difference seems to be that I could get a FTV card for a
set-top box; but I want to control everything from the PC (using Remote
Desktop in Windows XP) so presumably a PCI solution is better?

If you're primarily looking for capture I'd I suggest a PCI card. FTV Solus
cards aren't being sent out anymore since BBC TV is now FTA and ITV/C5/five seem
unwilling to fund it.

3. Which card?
Seems to be a lot of positive things written about Nebula, but only DVB-T?
Which one is best for my specifics, ie
- capture to hard disk for replay through other software
- preferably an interface I can drive from other software (eg remotely
connect to set up timer recording)
- don't care about remote handsets etc etc

The Nebula gets positive reviews in here but bewared the current software
mangles mp2 headers in radio recordings, this can affect conversion to mp3 etc.
The competition consists of the Hauppauge Nova-t and the Avermedia DVB-t.

There's a wider selection of DVB-s cards available, they range from the SkyStar2
(59) up to more weighty offerings like the Technotrend based boards such as the
Hauppauge Nexus-s, ~150.

Az.