TV Recommendation

Old July 21st 03, 03:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
SG

Default TV Recommendation

Hi all,
I've just bought my first DVD player only to find that my
14-year-old TV has no scart plug, it's not stereo and it hasn't even
got teletext. So I think its time for a new set.
Can anyone recommend any magazines, websites etc where I can
compare TV's within prices ranges?
Many thanks
Sam
Old July 21st 03, 04:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David

"SG" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,
I've just bought my first DVD player only to find that my
14-year-old TV has no scart plug, it's not stereo and it hasn't even
got teletext. So I think its time for a new set.

Your right there.

Get a widescreen one, largest you can afford, and wife will allow.
I feel truely flat screens are the best, but cost a little more.
Think about sound. ie. Front left and right, and center, and rear
surround.
In the near future then think about adding a digi. box, ie Sky, Freeview or
cable.

Happy shopping.

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group.

Old July 22nd 03, 02:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton

"Martin Angove" wrote in message "SG"
wrote in message
om...
Hi all,

I've just bought my first DVD player only to find that my
14-year-old TV has no scart plug, it's not stereo and it hasn't even
got teletext. So I think its time for a new set.

Your right there.

Get a widescreen one, largest you can afford, and wife will allow.

Widescreen, yes, but be sensible about the size. Unless you really want
to turn your front room into a cinema, get one a similar size to your
current TV - but remember the difference between widescreen and normal,
and the fact that watching ordinary (analogue) telly on a widescreen
can be a disappointing experience. Don't believe sales patter about
special processing modes (100Hz etc.) unless you have seen them working
- some people love them, others hate them.

Yes, but on sensible sets, you can switch them off. Although a 42" plasma
will be big, it can go against the wall (freeing space) and you are unlikely
to be disappointed, unless you room is very small (buy a smaller screen).

Also, the bigger the TV, the more likely you are to spot "digital
artefacts", probably not so much from DVD, but certainly from your next
upgrades (oh yes, they *will* come), digital sat, terrestrial or cable.

I feel truely flat screens are the best, but cost a little more.

Try it out in the shop. Ask if you can take a disc in to play. Make
*very* sure that the "wide" mode is set correctly! If the shop refuses,
take your custom elsewhere, but be aware that the telly will probably
look different in your front room anyway.

Think about sound. ie. Front left and right, and center, and rear
surround.

*Don't* be tempted by a telly which offers tiny tinny little speakers
and a "surround sound decoder". Far better (IMHO) to save money and go
for a plain stereo telly now (assuming you can find one), as even plain
stereo is going to be a huge step from mono on your current telly. Your
first upgrade should then be to visit Richer Sounds (find your nearest
store on http://www.richersounds.com/ (http://www.richersounds.co.uk/ )
and get them to sell you a decent Dolby Digital amplifier and set of
speakers. Most of their staff are pretty good, and their prices are
excellent.

Indeed - they even sell low price plasma screens. Their bxoes are great
value, but avoid the jive about cables.

In the near future then think about adding a digi. box, ie Sky, Freeview

or
cable.

Happy shopping.

Hwyl!

Martin.

--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley -- http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html